Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda extended warranty?

anneh38anneh38 Member Posts: 4
edited April 2016 in Honda
I purchased a new Accord in February, due to my age etc this may be the last new car I purchase and I plan on keeping it a long time. We have never bothered with extended warranties but now wondering if it may be wise to get one for this car. Surprised that the dealer suggests a warranty other than an actual Honda one, is this ok?

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited April 2016
    No, it's not OK for you, but it probably gives a bigger profit to the dealer. Honda-backed warranties are expensive (I wouldn't get one) but at least Honda stands behind it. With a warranty from somebody else (a "third party warranty") who knows? Some probably are ok, but others are worthless, with shady companies that go bankrupt or refuse coverage. And I know of no good way to tell which is which.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2016
    The dealer offered you a third party warranty because there's more profit in one of those. It's not okay - third party companies go bankrupt, and they can be hard for your mechanic to deal with when something breaks.

You can buy a genuine Honda backed extended warranty online and likely save some money.

Before doing that though, you may want to drive the new Accord a couple of years to make sure it's going to work out (isn't an obvious lemon, etc.). You'll still be covered under the factory warranty.

From Honda's web site: "If your Honda has fewer than 36,000 miles and is less than 36 months old and you plan on keeping it an extended length of time past the factory warranty, you can protect your investment with Honda Care "
  • Options
    kimmysarkelakimmysarkela Member Posts: 4
    I hate thst finance sells the stupid aftermarket extended warranties especially on new cars. I am a honda warranty administrator and I definitely recomended purchasing the honda care extended warranty.  Whats nice about it is when you go into a honda dealer there is no guess work as to who your extended warranty is through. It is valid at any honda dealership nationwide and coverage can be verified simply by running your vin number its also verry convenient to get coverage also approvals online. Adviaor can run part number and labor op from their computer and be told instantly if the repair is covered by your specific contract and doesnt havento waist your time being on hold with extended warranty company to see if parts are covered. 
  • Options
    scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Let's see some numbers! How much does Honda Care cost for a given time frame / and given miles? I'd be interested in a 8-10 year, 100,000 extended warranty
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited August 2016
    If you feel more comfortable with an extended warranty. I'd only buy one that is from Honda Corporation and make sure you don't screw up on your maintenance requirements and schedule. But I'd also answer the question "can I absorb a possible 2 grand or so repair expense without difficulty should it occur". If you can, I don't think I'd buy one.