Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Ford Escape - Buying experience and Prices paid

chanappchanapp Member Posts: 10
edited July 2016 in Ford
Starting a thread on the buying experience and prices paid for Escape 2017. I am looking to buy an Escape Titanium with Ecoboost 2L engine, Panoramic sunroof and Touch screen Nav. MSRP is coming to 34175. What is the best price I can try for? On initial contact with a dealer Memphis TN, the initial price offered is $32,200. Want to know how far I can go with negotiation.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    Hi Chanapp, are you getting adaptive cruise too? I'm having a little trouble dialing in the options to get to your MSRP number.

No matter really, TMV for the one I spec'd is coming in close to invoice at $32,843 and there's a $1,000 incentive right now that brings the average price paid down to $31,843 (including destination of $895). So buyers are getting at least invoice before TTL if they don't qualify for the incentive for some reason.

That's for a 38111 zip code, which happens to be the one I lived in some 35 years ago when I was living near Getwell and Parks. Have no real clue about buying cars there now though!

Going by our site numbers though, it looks like your $32,200 offer is a bit higher than average, but like I say, I don't have your options dialed in well. I assumed you are getting FWD too but maybe not since you tagged 4x4.
  • chanappchanapp Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the response. The options I selected include a white tri-coat color in addition to sun roof, 2.0L engine and Sync3. That may be showing up the difference for you. Up to what level can I ask for discount? Is 10% off MSRP normal? or can it be even better?
    I'm not used to working a percentage off MSRP. Just old school I guess, but I look at invoice and go up from there. But invoice doesn't mean much any more these days since manufacturers have a lot of bonuses they give dealers that hide the true cost of the car (not to mention holdback). That's why you'll see a lot of below invoice deals for some brands (notably Honda).

Over in the BMW world, 7% off MSRP is a common target so 10% off a more mainstream ride would make sense.

Another thing you can do is shop the quote around and invite other dealers to beat it.

Any other Escape shoppers or recent buyers lurking?
  • llrincollrinco Member Posts: 1
    I got a '17 Titanium today, paid $31,800, got nav, tech package, everything except the pano sunroof. This is in Colorado.
    Congrats!
  • chanappchanapp Member Posts: 10
    llrinco said:

I got a '17 Titanium today, paid $31,800, got nav, tech package, everything except the pano sunroof. This is in Colorado.

Good price.Can you explain the options you have chosen? Does tech package means 301A equip group? What is the color? Does it include taxes and other charges ?
  • mollyzoemollyzoe Member Posts: 2
    I need some help please-- I am looking to buy. Considering the Ford Escape Titanium, Ford Edge, and Lincoln MKC. I need AWD. My question is what's a good price and since it's August- I hear this is a good time to consider price for a 2016 versus 2017. I live in NY.

2017 Escape Titanium AWD, with vista roof

2016 (no 2017 on website) Ford Edge, SLE, AWD, with 201A Group and Cold weather package

Lincoln MKC 2017 AWD Premiere 100A

I emailed two dealerships and will go test drive tomorrow so looking for some help to make an intelligent decision! Thanks everyone-- love this site!
    edited August 2016
    We don't have pricing for the 2017 Edge yet. For the Escape and MKC, you can click on the Make | Model tabs up top and drill down to the style and pick your options, color etc. You'll wind up with invoice, MSRP and TMV prices.

Since TMV reflects the average price paid in your zip code, the idea is to try to beat TMV.

Generally, the best time to buy a new car is at the end of the month. So your timing is pretty good and if you find your dream car, you may want to try to stall until it gets closer to the 31st. The risk is that inventory changes all the time.

And yes, deals should be getting better for "leftover" 2016s. But you have to compare deals between both years; often it makes more sense to just buy the newest model if the dealer isn't coming down on price much on the 2016.
  • knight3136knight3136 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I will also be looking into purchasing a 2017 Escape Titanium with 301A, Black, leather seat, navigation, BLIS, 19 inch wheels. From the ford website I'm getting a total of about 34k and this is after the 2500 incentive available to me. I'm form NY, if you were me going into the dealership, what offer will you make for the car for the first time? I have a vehicle I'm going to trade in, should I get a quote for that vehicle first or negotiate the price for the new vehicle first?
    edited December 2016
    Techniques vary but I think it's better to get quotes first from more than one dealer. Sometimes they surprise you with a more aggressive quote than you were expecting.

If you are near a CarMax, get a quote from them for your car. Then have the dealer appraise your trade-in while you are test driving the Escape. If they lowball you on your trade, just ask them to meet the CarMax price. If they won't (and if the tax situation isn't an issue), then just sell it to CarMax.

We show MSRP to be $35,230 and invoice to be $33,668. The True Market Value average price paid for a NYC zip is $32,291. That includes a $1,500 incentive so you'll need to bump that TMV number down another $1,000 to get the average for your situation. So call TMV $31,300.

All my numbers include the $895 destination. I tried another NY zip and got the same numbers btw.

TMV would be ~$2,400 below invoice. Since TMV is an average, you should shoot for a bit less. But with your incentives your actual target price may be closer to that adjusted TMV than usual. With your incentives, TMV is coming in around 11% below MSRP.

If you're still with me (so many numbers!), I thing a good target would be 12% off MSRP or $31,000 before taxes and fees and credit for your trade. If I missed the BLIS option you can adjust the price accordingly.

• deejjjaaaadeejjjaaaa Member Posts: 5
    > From the ford website I'm getting a total of about 34k and this is after the 2500 incentive available to me. I'm form NY,

I am from PA - what I noticed that dealers in VA or MD were giving way more off MSRP for a new 2017 SE 2.0L 4WD vs PA, OH, WV... so I simply drove to VA and purchased there... Koons Sterling Ford in VA were giving me ~$7000 off MSRP (that included $1500 for not taking any financing from Ford and $1000 black friday and whatever else...)... and that was off the bat ~$2500 more than any local dealers in PA were offering... beats me why.
    Congrats on the new ride @deejjjaaaa!

We see similar stories about Hondas - better deals in NOVA than in PA, etc.
    the same goes for VW (I considered Tiguan), but not for Subaru (I considered Forester)... but is plain stupid if that depends on Ford policy giving some more room for VA / MD dealers vs PA, OH, WV - buying in VA is literally no brainer
  • clavemanclaveman Member Posts: 6
    Went to my Ford dealer tonight curious about a new 2017 Escape. About 80% of my visits to an auto showroom are negative. I cringed as I parked, then entered the showroom. Of course the youngest salesman walked over to greet me immediately.

He was friendly, but didn't listen to what I wanted. He new nothing about options on an Escape other than proudly bringing up on his computer the 17 Titaniums on the lot (none of which had the options I wanted). His eyes glazed over when I said I would likely need to order (and did they have allocations).

I was lured in by an "internet price" including "instant savings" of $4000 off MSRP. I asked him to break that down for me 3 times. He couldn't do it. Just $1500 in incentives or whatever.

The only amusement was the 24 year old buyer next to me trying to do a 72 month buy on a new Ford with 0 down and 100% sales tax financed. When the salesman had the deal wrapped up and then found out he only had liability insurance. The salesman was in tears. Are people this clueless? I feel like a genius.

It's like war. I never give out my name or contact information. I give out a mailinator.com email address. It was nice to sit in a new Escape finally.

If you're still with me after the rant..

Is it possible to get an Escape Titanium with the cool black wheels and the 201A pep code? I think not.

Thanks
    BLIS would be nice to have.

How about this?

Line up some aftermarket wheels with some tire shop and drive straight there from the dealer and get a nice credit for the rims that come on the Explorer. :)

(nice rant btw, reminded me of all too many dealer visits)
    edited December 2016
    claveman said:

I cringed as I parked, then entered the showroom...
    I was lured in by an "internet price"

the proper way is to email to an internet sales person before walking in to the lot (it can also eliminate the need to go there at all - time is money)... in a proper dealership people who sell over internet typically better to deal with than those on the floor - those either too young or too good (to your own detriment)

Often the "internet sales person" is just the next sales guy in line for the next "up". Ditto some "fleet managers".
    stever said:

BLIS would be nice to have.

How about this?

Line up some aftermarket wheels with some tire shop and drive straight there from the dealer and get a nice credit for the rims that come on the Explorer. :)

(nice rant btw, reminded me of all too many dealer visits)

That's why God made Tire Rack
    Keep the old wheels for winter time. (Now convince wifey to put 4 wheels in the garage year round..)
    stever said:

Often the "internet sales person" is just the next sales guy in line for the next "up". Ditto some "fleet managers".

How you know this fact? (The fact you know the insider term "up" tells me you might be in the business). I have had my best experiences with the internet sales person. Last go around I dragged my wide to a Buick dealership. She HATES car salesmen. Everything was going great. The salesman drove up a brand new Buick Enclave and we were ready for the test drive. She got in. The engine died. My wife left. The deal died.
    lol, a Tucson stalled out on us as the salesperson was driving it first. That killed that deal after my wife went home and researched the stalling issue.

I've been around the forums here since late 2000 - I'm not really "in the biz" but I've skimmed a few zillion posts. I know there are some real internet salespeople, but just because you call or email a dealer's internet department, you may still wind up with a "regular" salesperson. One way to tell is to look at the dealer's staff page if they have one.
    stever said:

.. just because you call or email a dealer's internet department, you may still wind up with a "regular" salesperson. One way to tell is to look at the dealer's staff page if they have one.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me last month. There were exactly 3 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium/Platinums within 300 miles of St. Louis. I saw a "internet price" way low on one at Don Hinds Ford (s) in Indianapolis. I used a mailinator account (to stay anonymous) and inquired on the car. I said I wanted the internet salesperson only.

As you predicted I got a response from the first regular salesman to look for "up"'s from the interwebs (salesmen don't know what the internet is exactly). He told me the price was 100% real but I would have to pay delivery and add fees. I replied that the delivery was already in the price via the website. I ignored all correspondence.

edited December 2016
    stever said:

didn't I write " in a proper dealership" ... there you can see indeed as noted a staff directory too to cross reference & emails have proper signatures
    claveman said:

stever said:

.. just because you call or email a dealer's internet department, you may still wind up with a "regular" salesperson. One way to tell is to look at the dealer's staff page if they have one.

That is EXACTLY what happened to me last month. There were exactly 3 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium/Platinums within 300 miles of St. Louis. I saw a "internet price" way low on one at Don Hinds Ford (s) in Indianapolis. I used a mailinator account (to stay anonymous) and inquired on the car. I said I wanted the internet salesperson only.

As you predicted I got a response from the first regular salesman to look for "up"'s from the interwebs (salesmen don't know what the internet is exactly). He told me the price was 100% real but I would have to pay delivery and add fees. I replied that the delivery was already in the price via the website. I ignored all correspondence.

they ( Don Hinds Ford ) have the fine print which clearly says = "... Price does not include applicable tax, title, license, processing and/or documentation fees, and destination charges. ...", so what is your beef ?
  • saltidawgsaltidawg Member Posts: 10
    Bought a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium today in Gaithersburg, MD. Will post followup with exact financial details.

Yesterday I got USAA to contact three local dealers re the fully loaded Escape I "built" on-line.

Got three "canned" responses with a range of Escape Models, certainly not tailored to match the specific car I built. I E-mailed all three dealers, restated my vehicle, and told them I had a CarMax Appraisal on a trade in. (Local dealers will match Carmax.)

I told them I wanted an "Out The Door" figure for the car I built assuming the CarMax trade in appraisal.

Two dealers refused to provide that response. One did. My wife just wrote that dealer a check for the car, they matched the CarMax Appraisal. I added a $1000 in (overpriced) accessories - body side molding, mud flaps, and illuminated door sill plate.

I passed on the Extended Warranty - I googled a price while in the closer's office and showed him one at a cost of about $500 for what I wanted. He said that was less then it costs him.

we're excited about the car - take delivery Saturday or Monday.
    Cool, good choice and great job in all your research.

Enjoy!
    Got home and checked.. the Escape Titanium comes with body side molding. Called dealership. Zero problem, they'll back that money out and cut me a check when we pick up the car.
    Car is Titanium w/ White Plat Pain, Med Stone Leather
    2.0 L Eng
    AWD
    Pan Vist roof
    Adapt Cruise Cont
    Trailer Tow Prep
    Nav system
    Roof Rail Crossbars
    19" Wheels
    Int Cargo Cover

(Did not really want the 19" Wheels, Crossbars. of=r Trailer Tow Pkg)

OK, some numbers.
    MSRP - $39,985
    Reductions = $4022 Discount + $1500 and $500 Ford Incentives + $500 Military Incentive = $6522 Off MSRP

Total Purchase Cost= MSRP - Reductions = $33,263

$7000 Trade In: 6% Sales Tax: Lic/Title/Fees: $300 "Processing Fee"

$29,933.96 Out the door. Wife wrote check.

Best price result, nope. Buyer and seller BOTH satisfied. (At age 75 that's important. Trust me.)

Now need to research best place to get Ford Ext Warranty 0n-line. Also, need to locate a quality rear seat cover for the Greyhound Dog. (suggestions????)

PS The $29,933.96 Out The door include a little over $1000 in additional accessories.
    edited December 2016
    I'm not wild about big wheels either. You may want to hit a tire shop - since yours are brand new, it's possible they would be willing to give you a good trade in amount for them and swap you into some 18"s that look good. You could check TireRack for ideas.

Kind of surprised you were able to get crossbars with a pano sunroof. I gave my racks away a while back; you could probably sell yours on craigslist easily enough. Or try a canoer/kayaker forum if you'd rather deal with dirtbag boaters instead of the occasional craigslist flaks. Lots of boaters in your area, you could probably hang out at a put-in one morning and sell them. And dirtbag in this case is a term of endearment. :)

Love to see some pics!
    Getting the car tomorrow or Monday... this New Years Weekend is a zoo at the local car dealers. Showrooms absolutely filled with buyers and Salesmen. Oops, salespersons.

Most of the Titanium cars in this area - MD Suburbs of DC - seem to have Trailer setup, pano sunroof AND crossbars and also 19" wheels.

Many fewer of the other trims available. This area is quite affluent which may explain it.
  • dmack1987dmack1987 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium FWD w/2.0 Ecoboost engine, Tech Package 301A, Navigation, adaptive cruise control, vista roof, 19" wheels, cargo mat. Pretty much fully loaded except for towing. Magnetic Metallic Gray color (not my thing, but oh well).

Dealer came up with $34771 before taxes and fees and will give me $1000 trade in on a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. Is this a good price or is it too high? Drive out price with tax and fees is $36474.56.

I've never had a Ford before. So I was considering leasing it, just in case in doesn't work out as well as my Hondas and Toyotas have, but the lowest he would come to on the 3 year lease payment with $2000 down PLUS my trade is $399.11. I think that sounds way too high, considering my friend just leased a 2017 Subaru Forester for $290 a month, no down payment, no trade, and pretty much the same options.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.