Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Delayed Throttle Response, Drive-By-Wire system lagging

midnightdriv1midnightdriv1 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2016 in Hyundai
I'm considering purchasing a 2016 Sonata SE (or maybe the Sonata Sport) as one of the larger dealers in my area is now offering the stripped Sonata SE's for $17,000. I test drove both an SE and a Sport. They both drove pretty well, but they exhibited a very noticeable lag in power response when taking off from a stop, and when stepping into the throttle when moving. There was almost a second of delay from pressing the accelerator before the engine responded. (In contrast the 2016 Camry I recently drove as a rental car had a very peppy throttle with no delays). I read some postings about a software patch to address this issue on the drive-by-wire system on the 2015 Sonata, so I would think this was already incorporated in the 2016's. Is anyone out there familiar with this issue? I really want to like this car more, but a sluggish right pedal is unacceptable. I miss the good old days of the mechanical throttle cable.

Comments

• Options
    peccadillopeccadillo Member Posts: 5
    Was it in eco mode? I had rented a 2016 sonata and saw the same, but turns out it was in eco mode when I changed to normal/sport I did not see a lag.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've seen a few similar complaints about the Tucson doing that, also in eco mode. Seems kind of odd that both testers you drove would have defaulted to eco mode though.
  • Options
    tonyg2016tonyg2016 Member Posts: 728
    i own a 2011 sonata gls for the past 6 years; it also has the electronic throttle (old tech). There is no lag on mine - basically the same powertrain as the 2016. There is a software reset for the throttle system that MAY improve response but if it is that noticeable i would try another car. these Sonata's have many issues...the hyundai forums board has much more info on user issues than here...

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/?page=active_topics

The Tuscon issue is with the ECO model, not ECO mode.
  • Options
    stekicarstekicar Member Posts: 55
    Avoid purchasing Hyundai. Lease it instead. Too many problems that Hyundai avoids to address. Talking from experience.