Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Should I buy the Acura TLX or Accord Hybrid ?

ynguns2ynguns2 Member Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in Acura
Looking for a new car once VW buys my car back from me in NOV. I need a dependable car as I drive a lot and also one that is good on gas. I have currently a 2010 VW Jetta TDI which I absolutely hate other then the fuel economy which is 31 Cty 41 Hwy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Honda's hybrids have been troublesome in the past, how about a Camry, Avalon, or ES300h? The Civic with the turbo 4 is producing good mpg numbers for Edmunds in their long term test, it's bigger than before, worth a look.
    http://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2016/long-term-road-test/2016-honda-civic-edging-closer-to-epa-estimates.html
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What is it about the Jetta you hate? Size, ride?

I second the Civic; reviews are as good as the mpg.
  • carlover007carlover007 Member Posts: 1
    I would feel more alpha male in an Acura. And Acura is Honda, so why not get the big boy version of a Honda?
    Well, you mentioned mpgs were important. Nothing wrong with the TLX, but it's not a high-mpg vehicle.
    edited August 2016
    Edmunds had a TLX, some liked it, some didn't. I keep hearing complaints about the transmission:
    http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tlx/2015/long-term-road-test/

They averaged about 25 mpg.
  • ynguns2ynguns2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I hate my Jetta for several reasons but having bought this in 2010 and trading in my 04 jetta TDI I am very displeased with all the weird service engine light quirks not to mention i had to replace my turbocharger in nov, 2015 costing me $3100 and then shortly after the DPF and having to argue with VW for the bill to be waived. I am getting $12,435 from VW for my car and I cannot wait to get into a new one as I have been waiting for awhile. You say that the Honda cars have problems? please do advise as i am very interested in hearing all i can.
    edited August 2016
    All cars have problems. But most don't, if you get my drift.

Dependable and good mpg? That's a Prius. There's a reason lots of big city cabbies drive them. It sounds like you want more of a "driving" experience though although the newest Prius is getting better handling reviews.
  • ynguns2ynguns2 Member Posts: 3
    I really am not a big fan of a Prius but i do hear good things about toyota. I have great credit and am really surprised there is no 0% available on the Acura or Honda models? I always liked the Audi A3 but it is a VW product.
    A reporter would like to talk with car shoppers who either purchased or considered purchasing a Toyota Prius in the last few months. If you're willing to share your experience, please reach out to us at pr@edmunds.com by no later than Friday, September 16, 2016.