Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

It's a Mainstream Car - in Southern California - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Tesla
imageIt's a Mainstream Car - in Southern California - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test

In Southern California, seeing a Tesla isn't all that uncommon. Seeing a Tesla from inside your Tesla? That happens, too.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its not surprising to see them in CA. No offense, but many Californians love to be "trendy" and "eco" (without compromises) and tend to make big $ and spent big $ on their vehicles. The Teslas are absolutely PERFECT for that. Of course, its not just California. Whenever we drive to Atlanta, it's like a car show with $100k Porsches and BMWs and Mercedes everywhere you go. Oh and its not the carpool lane: a Prius or Leaf would achieve that for a fraction of the price.
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    "...the rest of the country shouldn't be far behind. At least that's the usual thought process." Afraid you caught me thinking about something other than how I should pattern my behavior after that of Californians. Now I feel guilty...
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60

Its not surprising to see them in CA. No offense, but many Californians love to be "trendy" and "eco" (without compromises) and tend to make big $ and spent big $ on their vehicles. The Teslas are absolutely PERFECT for that. Of course, its not just California. Whenever we drive to Atlanta, it's like a car show with $100k Porsches and BMWs and Mercedes everywhere you go. Oh and its not the carpool lane: a Prius or Leaf would achieve that for a fraction of the price.

I was stuck between an i8 and Cayenne Hybrid in P'tree Ind. this morning.
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    I was in San Diego in June and on my way to the airport about 8 am on a Friday morning, I counted the number of Teslas and I believe I counted about 12, and the drive was a 20 minute drive so yeah, there are a metric ton of them there.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I will say that if I was willing to spend $100k on a car (you can get houses around here for that), the Model S would be my #1 choice.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Teslas are not that special here in the SF bay area where $100k is only half of a down payment for a very small average house.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    The only Model X I've seen in Pittsburgh had a California plate on it. It's an EV wasteland here.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Come to the eastside suburbs of Seattle, the things are everywhere. Even on high end used car lots now.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    Model S's are all over Chicago (I have even seen a few original Tesla sports cars). The Model X is not as common, but I see a couple a week at least.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a great car to drive around in, if you can put up with the range shortcomings (or don't need it) and the spotty reliability record. I like to think of them as a Lexus with a 9 gallon gas tank.