Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Good Stereo, Not Great - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Posts: 10,059
edited September 2016 in Toyota
imageGood Stereo, Not Great - 2016 Toyota Tacoma Long-Term Road Test

When choosing between the standard and optional stereo on a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, one question is how loud you need the volume to go.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Remember the good ole' days when these go to 11?
  • stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Posts: 57
    edited September 2016

Bad News:
    Toyota head units are nothing special, and that's being kind to them.

Good News:
    1. The Toyota head units that I've seen (haven't checked them all) are still rectangular without integrated climate controls; and easy to swap with a Double DIN aftermarket unit.
    2. Toyota JBL systems sound good enough that when I do swap the head unit, I only use "signal out" from the aftermarket unit instead of its onboard power or aftermarket amplification.
  • Telling my age but I remember when small Japanese trucks were so popular with first time male buyers (teens and early 20's) that they had a radio delete option. Most teenagers would yank the standard system out the 2nd day they had it and put in a custom aftermarket system.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    My '82 Tercel came without a stereo so that was the first order of business. Second mod was a third taillight a few years later. Third mod was a cut to fit broomstick to replace the sprung trunk torsion bars. :)
  • Oh Mama Mia let me go!!!
  • Article quote; "The bundle certainly isn't cheap at about $3,500" Remember that the pwr Sun Roof is ONLY for 4DR Tacoma's - Ext cabs are out of luck, NO pwr sun roof offered - deal breaker for me - maybe next year ? Nissan offers a pwr moon roof on there ext cab Frontiers, I would think Toyota engineers could figure it out too!