Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hollyehollye Member Posts: 2
    I have the same car with the same # of miles and have also been experiencing the chronic stalling problem lately. It's making me crazy, and I'm concerned about being rear ended. Were you seeing the RPMs swing up and down from 800 to about 650, and then randomly dip below that and the engine would cut out? The mechanic says the computer doesn't detect any readings from the "throttle valve control module" but also said the replacement part alone would be 650.00. (I've read elsewhere that this is not a computerized part, so of course there's nothing to read... ??)

The car didn't cut out when they test drove it (of course) so they suggested I live with the rough idle if I didn't want to spend the money. I have problems when coasting slowly around corners in parking lots, coming to a stop at the base of a ramp, and of course anytime the a/c is on.

One way to avoid the problem seems to be to turn off the air, activate the e-brake at intersections, and gently give a little gas. Seems to me a better solution would be to adjust the tension on the gas pedal so that it would automatically do this for me. The mechanic thought that would mess up the computer.

Anyone have any words of advice?
    Macmini, I feel your pain!
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Right Blinker - Chances are the right turn signal bulb (either the front or rear) needs to be replaced. The fast blinking light is a feature that tells the driver that a bulb has gone bad. When you get a chance, turn the ignition key to the on position (without starting the engine), switch the turn signal to the right, and check the front and rear turn signals on the right side. You will find the faulty light in a matter of moments.

Vibrations - Possibly a loose heat shield in either the catalytic converter, resonator (middle-muffler), or rear muffler.

Air hoses dry up and crack over a period of time, especially if you live in the hotter climate areas. Given the age of your car, they were probably due to be changed.

Window regulators - If you have power windows, I wish you luck... My 1997 has manual windows, so I can't help you there.
  • flacoflaco Member Posts: 4
    Hi:

I recently had to replace the glove compartment door because one of the legs that hold it when open gave out. I purchased a used one at a yunkyard ((($30))) and I installed it with no problem.... almost.... I cannot get my original lock unit of the broken door to install it on the "new" one.... Does anyone know how to dismantle the glove compartment door to chage the lock?

Thanks....
  • bryanusbryanus Member Posts: 1
    I have STF and STI, but I can not for the life of me find the link or tips on how to open the remote on my 2002 Passat remote to replace the battery. Can anyone enlighten me or send me the link to: kukumlima@gmail.com? TIA.
  • jettaroxjettarox Member Posts: 2
    Recently the battery died in my 98 Jetta GL. I returned from a vacation and got in my car to drive to work the next day and it would not turn over. It has 80k+ miles so I surmised that the battery needed to be replaced. I bought one from my local auto parts store and installed it and now strange things are happening:

1. It idles roughly.
    2. Stalls when I turn on the AC.

I have an after market CD player installed, so I did not have to worry about security codes. Was there something I missed when I installed the new battery? :confuse:
  • doctorz1doctorz1 Member Posts: 1
    i recently have discovered the problem of the passenger window having a mind of it's own > it continues to "insist" that i want it in the down position ! the only way i have been able to keep it in the up position is to use the drivers side dorr control and hold it's contact with my finger needless to say i can't drive like that > i need to find out if there is a solution ? thanks for your assistance
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    What you describe sounds like the "finger pinch" safety mecanism is telling the window to go back down.

This problem is usually caused by the rubber seal around the glass 'dragging' enough to trick the safety mecanism to react. Oftentimes, applying some kind of 'lube' to the rubber will fix it.

Try this, spritz some water on the rubber seals and try the window again. If that works, then the rubber seals are the issue.

Please do not HOLD the switch in any posiition.... that may burnout the motor.
  • kofigankofigan Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 Jetta with 186000 miles and one of the rear struts has blown. I want to replace it myself. Is it tricky? Do I need a lift? Do I need special tools?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • davejahnedavejahne Member Posts: 1
    hi, i'm having the same problem on my 97 jetta. did you have any luck finding the power window fuse? stupid owners manual....

although i think i have a slightly different problem. my windows go down, but not up. i can put them up with the key in the passangers door, but not the driver door. (which won't lock either)

any ideas?

thank!
    dave
    I would check the wiper relay (it's a small cube-like module that is usually plugged into the relay panel under the steering wheel) which controls the speed and timing of the wipers. It's an inexpensive part (around $25 or so).
  • vw05glivw05gli Member Posts: 1
    Two things on your stalling problem. My last car was a 95 Jetta III GLS. I experienced the same problems with rough idle, low pickup and stalling. The Check Engine light would come on at times and then go off again.
    If you look under the back seats, there MAY be a black plug with a bit of wire inside. This is the diagnostic tool. There is a diagnostic plug-in on the dashboard under a cover. Remove the ashtray and slide the cover over to reveal the plug-in. Then you have to get a manual and follow the diagnostic codes. This will reveal the problem most of the time.

BUT, replace the Oxygen sensors. That solved my rough idle and took care of lots of other things. A smart VW mechanic finally told me that was the problem. IT was about 250 and not something you want to do yourself. Good luck! Also, I have Chiltons and Robert Bently manuals for the A3 Jetta/Golf 93-99 if anyone needs them. You pay shipping and 10.00 each.
  • italia79italia79 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I own a VW Golf and within the past couple months the stick shift has become noisy when I shift. I have no problems shifting, but I hear a sort of squeaking noise now. I don't know if this is a minor problem or if it can be attributed to the clutch or tranmission?? The car is a 1995 and has 100,000miles. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks.
  • tobi22tobi22 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Jetta (automatic ) is having the same problems - jerking between gears. My car is in for the 7th time today for this exact problem. It will never 'duplicate' the jerking when I take it in. My dealership says that my car is unique and that they have know idea what is wrong. I am so frustrated. Once, they even took me for a test drive to see if I was causing the problem. They thought I must be driving an automatic with 2 feet. I was really pissed after this visit. They are thinking about replacing my transmission but do not know if this will solve the problem. I am sorry that I cannot give you any advice but it is good to know I am not the only one with this problem. Do you have any advice for me?
  • mrmojocyclemrmojocycle Member Posts: 2
    Hello-

This is the same exact thing that has happened to my 97 jetta trek! I am currently wedging a piece of styrofoam the hold the headlight stalk back so I can drive with lights and wipers...really bad for washington weather. I tried a new headlight switch but that didn't work. Any responses to your post? what'd you end up doing?

thanks

matt :confuse:
  • hipchicklettehipchicklette Member Posts: 3
    Just received notice that my new Jetta needs its fuel supply clamp inspected, and probably replaced. Sputters when started, and runs "rough" for about 10 seconds, followed by a small puddle under the car (presuming this is the gas leak).

Has anyone else noticed this, and/or other problems or safety recalls with the 2005 Jetta? Thanks!!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Running rough for 10 seconds is apparently a normal (but odd) characteristic of this and other VW engines.

Where is the puddle that you see, the clamp is in the engine compartment according to the recall. Does the puddle smell like gas?
  • mikejlewismikejlewis Member Posts: 3
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to reset my engine light. I was away for awhile and gave my car to my parents. When i got home and took back my car the engine light was on. They took it to a mechanic and after the light was on. Of course he didn't know how he tripped it and had no clue how to turn it off. He thought that wasn't a big deal anyway. I'm basically worried that if something does go wrong with the engine I wont have a clue because the lights always on anyway. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
  • nneelynneely Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 VW Jetta Wagon. We are all familiar with those air conditioner drips that eventually evaporate and the spots go away. Well, for the past week, I have had a drip that is very oily, the spot isn't evaporating and it is making a mess on the garage floor. It is on the right side of the car near the front wheel. The dealer checked it today, twice, and found no oil leaks and said the oil level was right where it should be. He thought it was just an a/c drip that happened to be oily. Any thoughts on the subject??
    Is this the equivalent of the "check engine light"?

If so, you can probably reset it by disconnecting the battery for maybe about an hour. The light will come back on if the OBD system is still detecting some problem.

I don't think I'd have a lot of confidence in that mechanic, btw.
  • deaner14deaner14 Member Posts: 40
    I purchased a CarChip from Davis Instruments awhile ago. This device is pretty cool and described elsewhere on this site I believe. Regardless, there is a function within the CarChip that not only tells you why the CEL (check engine light) is on, but also allows you to reset it.

Best bet is to buy one of these off eBay...
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    I'm afraid of getting a bad/$$$ answer, but I'll ask anyway. I'm having trouble with the condenser motor starting. Twice in recent mornings when I first start the car in the AM, turn on the AC, crank up the fan and I dont get cold air. I can tell the condenser isn't starting because i dont feel the drain on the motor. The fan blows, the light on the AC button is on, but not cold air. Both times this has happened the condenser has kicked in after 10-20 minutes. Is the condenser dying or is the system pressurizing, is their a bad switch/relay or something? When it works it blows pretty cold air.
  • kph1kph1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to sell my 1999 Jetta, but there are somethings I would like to get fixed before I do so. I have had so many problems with the dealership in Houston, that I refuse to go there, besides they are outrageously expensive. Two months ago they claimed I need a new alternator, I paid $800 for a new one and within one week my car car was back at the dealership because they said they put a bad alternator in my car. Totally inexcusable. Anyway, my sunroof stopped working suddenly one day when i picked it up from the dealership, so i need that fixed. I'm convinced they had something to do with that because i have never had problems with it. Suddenly it has a mind of its own!! My check engine light has been on for about a year and i've paid $100 bucks for them to plug in the diagnostic test only for it to come back on that same day. Anyway, there are some issues I'd like to take care of before selling it. Does anyone know of a non-delaership reliable place to fix a Jetta in the Houston area??? Please help me!! even the san antonio area will do because i'm there alot!!
  • hollyehollye Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I think a setting on your car's computer needs to be reset. Read more here: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl118d.htm
  • mollymmollym Member Posts: 1
    I dont know what to do...I have had my car for 3 years and it already has 60,000 miles on it..I do travel quite a bit..I have kept up with all of the oil changes and maintanence at the big miles. I rarely go to VW for this tooo expensive and you wait for an appointment for weeks even months..I noticed on the hwy that my coolant gauge went way past the right into the RED ZONE and the coolant light indicator came flashing on...I slowed down to around 60 mph and it went back down..As soon as I take it up in speed it does the same thing...The ac doesnt work either...I have had it to 2 different shops and no one can seem to find the problem because all of the fluid levels are fine..Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, what does it cost to fix???
    sincerely,
    mollym
  • mhpmhp Member Posts: 1
    First the coolant fan wouldn't shut off after the engine was shut down, even when the engine was cold. Now the A/C won't work. All components check out fine. The VW dealership service manager says that coolant has been absorbed into the wiring harness. They claim the entire wiring harness is contaminated and must be replaced. They estimate over 2K for labor and 1500 for parts. Has anyone ever heard such a thing as a wiring harness absorbing coolant and becoming contaminated? How can wire, non-absorbant cooper and plastic absorb moisture?
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    Hey guys! I used Edmunds.com religiously when I was looking for an older Jetta, but now I pretty much stay on the side of the Oldsmobile Alero...

Anyway, my mom just purchased a brand new 2.5 Jetta. It's Platinum Gray with black letherett (sp?) seating. It also has the multifuncion display, six disc in-dash changer, heated seats, and climatronic. It is a five speed manual. The only thing that it doesn't have is the alloy wheels.

Before she purchased it we also looked at a 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition five speed. It had pretty much the same stuff the Jetta did except the side curtain air bags...oh and the extra power. There was a noticable difference in power between the two and I personally didn't like the gear box of the Civic. It felt way too rubbery. Of course, my mom didn't notice.

Anyway, first and foremost I'm curious as to whether anyone has had any issues with their new 2005 Jetta. Our car has about 70 miles on it currently, so I'm not expecting any issues in the near future :shades: Second, I've noticed that the 2.5L run a little rougher than the older 2.0's in the last generation Jettas...or is this just me? Last, the multifunction trip computer is a pain to work.... :mad:

Jeremy
    If your car is out of warranty, I wouldn' t even take it to the dealership. Find a private mechanic (or import auto service shop) who either specializes in VWs or European cars in particular. The prices the dealer quoted you more than likely have a healthy profit margin in them to cover their overhead expenses. Chances are good a private mechanic will do the same job (using the same procedures as the dealership) for hundreds less.
  • pattyhasfunpattyhasfun Member Posts: 1
    My transmission is messing up... it has problems when going from 1st to 2nd gear.... is there any way of putting transmission slip fluid myself. Someone told me that you cant check it, that the transmission is only for the lifetime of the car... that cant be right... can it? just wondering if there was anyway to check it.... please help....
    We have a few minor issues with our 2005 VE Jetta. We have only 1400 miles on it so far. There is also one recall, taking it in next week to address these minor issues and get the recall done.

VE does not have the computer, and we would just as soon not have it as we prefer simplicity.

Engine seems fine to us, but this is the first VW we have had so I do not know what their earlier engines were like. It is noisy and rough when you first start it for maybe 10 seconds or so...is that what you were refering to?
  • dlawrdlawr Member Posts: 3
    What was the result of your talk with the district service manager? My dealership said that VW told them that it is due to the emissions controls. They said it supposed to take 2-3 seconds before it shifts. I found that this is true when the engine is warm, but from a cold start unless I step on the gas and take my foot of the brake it will not shift at all. Then it jerks into gear. I think that VW should tell potential customers that they need to shift the transmission twice before it will actually go into gear and see how many people buy the car. Then they might do something about it. We are considering getting a lawyer to get our money back under the lemon law if they refuse to try to fix the problem. I've had several cars with automatics, and this is the first one I've ever had that does this. I don't care what VW says, its a problem that needs to be fixed.
  • sean57sean57 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all you VW drivers. I have just encountered a problem with my 2002 TDI, all of a sudden I noticed that the acceleration disappeared and now plod along for miles before I can get to a decent cruising speed without annoying anyone, and dont get me started on how it climbs hills in this present state!!!. After several hours of investigating I was told that the problem could be potentially related to the Mass Airflow Sensor , can anyone conform or deny this for me? One thing that I did notice was that when I take off in first gear it behaves like a pig. I move into second gear and sometimes even third gear before the engine comes back to life. (perhaps a loose connection to the sensor?) again if someone has had this problem let me know.

Aside from that Ive had the car for a month now, I picked it up with some 63K Kms and aside from this annoying power loss problem I love it!

Thanks all!

Sean in Montreal
    I don't notice the roughness just after starting as you refer to, but it just seems a little different to me and it always happens. It may just be because it's a five cylinder. We've always had V6's so that may be it.

So other than the recall, what other issues have you had? BTW, what is the recall for? Should I call the dealership about our car?

Jeremy
    Its more just noisy than "rough" after cold start...just thought that might have been what you meant.

Our issues are:

Front driver's door panel slightly mis-aligned, off by about 1/8 inch near the mirror...I don't know if this is considered within tolerance by VW.
    Rear dome light, only one of two bulbs work.
    Steering wheel slightly off-center.
    One rear door does not unlock about 1/2 the time.

We are also going to have them reprogram it so that all doors unlock when you turn engine off and remove key. This was an option we were given when we picked the car up and have decided that it will be more convenient to have it set that way.

Recall is for a hose clamp in engine compartment that may not have been positioned properly on some units and could result in gas leak. You can find the info on NHTSA web site. VIN numbers of affected units end in 600129-644291 according to info there.

If you just got yours, perhaps this was inspected and fixed, if necesary, before delivery.
  • 9ersfan9ersfan Member Posts: 3
    My son has a 2004 Jetta GLS with 18000 miles. He had problems with the clutch and the dealer informed me the clutch was burned out and the warranty is 12 months or 12000 miles. He said this can happen with a first time manual transmission driver. It is my sons second Jetta with a manual transmission, he drove the first one for three years with no problems. Is this a problem with the 2004?
    My son has a 2004 Jetta GLS with 18000 miles. He had problems with the clutch and the dealer informed me the clutch was burned out and the warranty is 12 months or 12000 miles. He said this can happen with a first time manual transmission driver. It is my sons second Jetta with a manual transmission, he drove the first one for three years with no problems. Is this a problem with the 2004?
    Hey man, thanks for the recall information. I'll take a look at the vin on my mom's car tonight.

I apprecaite it.

Jeremy
  • flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    2005.5 Jetta: Just bought it on Sunday - Airbag light is displayed on dashboard. I hope this is not a bad omen of things to come. This is my 3rd Jetta. Going to dealership tomorrow -
  • mjdtdimjdtdi Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I had the exact same problem with my 2000 TDI. Probably around the same mileage too. The dealer replaced the airflow sensor (or airflow meter?) and it was as good as new again. I think it was about a $300 part but luckily my warranty covered it.

Good luck!

Mark
  • mjdtdimjdtdi Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 2000 Jetta TDI. So far I have only had a problem getting into reverse. I brought it to the dealership 6 or 7 months ago for the same problem and they told me that the trans fluid was low (I had to take their word for it since there is apparently no way to check it!) After that it was fine until a couple of weeks ago. I also found that shifting to another gear and then back to reverse sometimes works ... SOMETIMES! And of course being on a hill is always a pain.
  • jwwgoldjwwgold Member Posts: 4
    Wow you got off cheap. Since my battery went dead I've had just about ever sensor replaced, new coil packs, and NOW a new ECU for $1000.00 and said since we've had soooo much trouble they will take of 10% WWWWWWOWWWWWWWW! Biggest piece of junk I've ever owned regardless of type, home, hi-fi, refrig, garage door opener........ ANYTHING!
    Wow sounds like my problem too. $1000.00 to replace the ECM. That's pretty cheap considering I've spent another $3000 over the past 8 months for various sensors and coil packs. I'm going to put mine up on eBay with a starting bid of $9.99 and NO RESERVE. Hello ANYTHING that's not a VW.
    I've ALWAYS thought I had a chance with that. My repair list is THICK and I've spent approx. $4000.00 in the past 8 months on sensors and coil packs, etc. The problems still exist and the dealership and VW has said...... wow that's just too bad......... good bye. I'm getting REALLY tired of this. The car is unreliable and VERY COSTLY.
    I've had a TON of sensors replaced on my VR6 auto, I've spent $1000s to get various elec. problems with the engine resolved. NO LUCK. I've selling on eBay for an opening bid of 9.99 and no reserve. Maybe you can get some part from it.
  • ewhislerewhisler Member Posts: 1
    We had a lot of problems with our 99 Jetta check engine light as well. After several visits and much yelling at the service people, they had their lead guy look into it. They found that one of the sensor units (can't remember which one, but I could check the paper work at home) was not properly grounded and would cause false-positives. Once that was fixed it has been relatively stable... for a Jetta.

Since they did electrical work on your car, I agree that it was probably something they did... Refuse to pay the $100 diag until they fix it, if you can. Our problem with the sensor originally showed up when it was under warranty, but I always had to fight to get them to look at it and waive the fee. They had to look up the old work, make sure it was the same thing, etc... Good luck.
  • guadetteguadette Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2000 Jetta - It has a problem with the Thermostat
    I don't have a users manual - where can I find instructions on how to replace the Thermostat online? (Don't want to purchase a repair manual).
  • platnumelplatnumel Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 99 Jetta after I took my car to the dealer to have the brake light switch replaced. Thankfully, it drove fine on the freeway, but when I got on residential streets and stopped at stop sign, it felt as though it was going to stall out (and I have an automatic). I also had problems getting my car to shift out of park. I immediately called the dealer and demanded that the dealer fix my car, as I had never experienced any such problem before. Over the phone the dealer tried to maintain that they didn't cause the problem. However, after I brought it back, they realized they put a FAULTY BRAKE SWITCH in... so they replaced it again and my car went back to normal.
  • dlawrdlawr Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2005 Jetta in twice, and both times they "found nothing wrong". I think that the issue has to do with programming, and is not any mechanical problem. That is why I think that they cannot find anything. Since the computer does not throw any faults, there is no problem, dispite the fact that the transmission has not shifted. My solution has been to shift it in and out of gear, and then back. Otherwise, on any hill the car will roll forward or backward, depending on the direction, and then slam into gear and jump. The only time the car will not do this is when the engine is still warm. VW claims it has to do with emission controls. If this is true, how come my Mazda, myr parents Toyota, my brother's BMW, do not behave this way? What have those manufacturers figured out that VW hasn't?
  • suziodutchsuziodutch Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000 Jetta VR6 and the air conditioning is not working. I thought maybe the freon was low but when I went to have freon put in my car, I was told that something else is wrong with the AC in my car. I tried a new expansion valve and that didn't solve the problem. The people who looked at my car said that they think the compressor is working but didn't know for sure. Is anybody else having this problem? I see other Jettas around in my town and several of them have their windows open and it's 95 degrees outside so there must be other people who are experiencing AC problems too. Needing help in Tennessee...
    I have a clutch problem with a 2004 jetta, the warranty is 12k and the car has 18k. VW refused a warranty claim so the dealer said he would give me a discount which did not amount to much. Does anyone know the dealer parts mark up or their hourly service cost???
  • oldgreencaroldgreencar Member Posts: 1
    my 96 VW Jetta, automatic transmission, is currently in the shop. I had it in there a few weeks ago for an oil pan gasket replacement to fix a transmission fluid leak. as I drove it out of the shop I had my first ever stalling problem while idling in drive. it only got worse.

they say it is unrelated to the work they did. they replaced the entire exhaust system including converter because they found a 'mass air flow problem'...that hasn't fixed the stalling.

now they are speculating, because the battery was briefly disconnected for something 3 months ago, the throttle position range switch needs to be reset and that could be the problem... does that make sense? after 3 months there would be a problem driving the car as a result.

I'm still waiting for them to figure out what to try next, I'm thinking I need a new mechanic. Any thoughts on any of the above problems would be helpful.