Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

“Eating" a payment - December incentives

TheStarTheStar Member Posts: 6
edited September 2016 in Mercedes-Benz
I have the following dilemma - the dealer offered me pretty good leasing deal on 2017 GLE350. He recommends I take December delivery since the incentives are usually good last month of the year. However, to take December delivery I will have to eat one payment from my current lease - $840.

The new car is factory-ordered and MBFS does not lock incentives/ terms at the time of order - you find out what they are when you pick up the new car, hence there is no way for me to know when I place the order what the incentives would be.

I guess my question is the following - historically, were December incentives that much better than January? I do have a fleet discount of $1,000 and the dealer said it is possible even that amount can rise to $2,000 in December, easily compensating the $840 I am guaranteed to lose by taking December delivery.

Anybody care to speculate - take December delivery and pay $840 remaining on the current lease in hope of getting great incentives (MF, residuals, fleet discount), or take January delivery and lose nothing on the current lease but risk weaker incentives?
Tagged:

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    I don't think there is any way to tell. How can they make you a good deal, if you don't know the lease program?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• TheStarTheStar Member Posts: 6
    kyfdx said:

I don't think there is any way to tell. How can they make you a good deal, if you don't know the lease program?

In this case good deal means the dealer is pricing the vehicle at $700 under invoice. For GLE350 this is as good as you can get. However, he has no way to know upfront what the MF, residuals, incentives will be in December vs. January. Hence I am here asking the wider audience for their comments/ insights/ experience.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    What's the worst that can happen? Can you walk away in December without losing a deposit? Use Uber for a month?
    stever said:

What's the worst that can happen? Can you walk away in December without losing a deposit? Use Uber for a month?

I am ordering factory-built model - cannot just “walk away” in the last moment. That would be an awful thing to do to a dealer.
    edited September 2016
    Well, it's only "business", and unless you are ordering a unicorn, it'll just go into inventory if you decide not to buy. Plenty of people get ill, lose their job, divorce, etc. and dealers have seen it all, and have seen plenty of deals evaporate at the last minute.

If you are ordering a unicorn, then the dealer will require a hefty non-refundable deposit.
    stever said:

Well, it's only "business", and unless you are ordering a unicorn, it'll just go into inventory if you decide not to buy. Plenty of people get ill, lose their job, divorce, etc. and dealers have seen it all, and have seen plenty of deals evaporate at the last minute.

If you are ordering a unicorn, then the dealer will require a hefty non-refundable deposit.

The dealer wants $1k deposit - I would not want to lose that.
    edited September 2016
    There you go - that's a chunk of change and limits your options. And by getting a deposit, the dealer takes you out of the market and discourages you from shopping other MB models or other brands.

Better idea - not ideal weather perhaps, but an overseas delivery would be a fun holiday present to yourself. You'd need a loaner or rental while your new car is being shipped home though. ;)

Guess that's not an option with a lease. Dunno, you seem to have your heart set on this one. Life is short, may as well roll the dice.