Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting the Right Keys, Week 1 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Chrysler
imageGetting the Right Keys, Week 1 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica came with three keys, but only one of them worked. Getting the correct set of keys turned out to be quite a challenge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    What a mess!
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, that's not cool. The dealership just needs to "suck it up", get a brand new pair of keys and send them back to Chrysler or figure it out later. I mean, what would've happened if you guys had tested it at the dealership and are wanting to drive off the lot, but can't? You going to have to pick your car up in week???
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    and since it is Chrysler, each dealer was able to register the dealer trade as an actual sale!
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    s197gt said:

and since it is Chrysler, each dealer was able to register the dealer trade as an actual sale!

I'd call this a goat-rope, but I don't want to insult goats.
  • csubowtiecsubowtie Member Posts: 143
    We bought our Tahoe used, it only came with one key. That key was so worn out, it didn't work very smoothly, and the copies made from it only worked after much jiggling. We went to our local Chevy dealer, they pulled the VIN, and a few days later, factory fresh set of keys. So why didn't Chrysler just do that instead of this ridiculous runaround? I'm sure it cost them more in shop time alone than a new set of keys.
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    In this case, I don't see why they didn't just program new keys that were in the Service Department. My Ford F-150 had one key when I bought it used. The Ford Dealership stocks the factory keyfob with power buttons for about a 100 bucks. Surely Chrysler is the same way. The Dealership just reset the computer in my Ford and programed the new keys for me right then and there. It deactivated the "missing" key at the same time. In fact, at this time, I went ahead and added remote start. (Cheap-tip -- You can buy all the components and install it yourself, then just have the dealership activate it. I saved about $200 based on the "as installed" quotes I was getting).
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    My CDJR dealer lost the key to my Journey once when I had it in for service. I only knew about it because the service rep told me when they brought the car out...somehow the porter had lost the key, and instead of screwing around looking for it, they got a new one and programmed it. It appeared on the invoice as a $0 line item. Supposedly it's about $80 if you lose it yourself (at least for that type of key).
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    Idiots; we test all the keys on every car at delivery- new or used.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    These keys have a list price of $111 each. I kind of get why they aren't immediately giving out free replacement keys. The dealer has already wasted a couple of labor hours on the incorrect keys. My employer books $2.5B (yes, billion) in sales annually and we need approval to write-off anything over $25. This really isn't a warranty issue, it is just poor pre-delivery by Russell Westbrook CDJR. Sounds like they are making an effort to get the correct keys from the selling dealer, which is what they should be doing. It will eventually get resolved and everyone will be happy.

When I bought my 2015 Chevy Equinox, the dealer only located one key and gave me an IOU for the second., Turns out another sales rep had taken the 2nd key home. That guy brought the key back in finally and the dealer mailed the key to me a few days later and all was well. Stuff happens.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    From what I understand it depends on the manufacturer and how the key and vehicle are matched. If the vehicle is registered to the key then they are matched for life; if it is the other way around then any smart key can be registered to the vehicle. Sounds like FCA registers the car to the key so the wrong keys that you were given will only work with the vehicle they were matched with at the factory. However, the selling dealer should have admitted they screwed up and registered two new keys to the van instead of making you guys wait and hope the mailed in keys worked.
  • subytrojansubytrojan Member Posts: 120
    Wow. No bueno.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514