Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Your dealer is mistaken.

For the 2003 TDI, I beleive the Timing-belt replacment is 100,000 miles.

To be fair to your dealer, Previous years of TDIs had some different TB-replacement intervals. (automatic xmission =40,000 miles and manual xmission=60,000 miles)

Bottom line: READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL!

BTW --- A gasoline engine has a timing belt too and that cost would be simular... thus your assertion that this is a diesel-only cost is mistaken.

The VW TDI has LESS PM COSTS (Preventive maintainance) than its gasoline stablemates. If you ignore all the costs that are simular (Timing belt, filters, oil changes), the gasoline engine still has sparkplugs and ignition wires which the diesel simply does not have.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    My 2003 VW Jetta TDI is due a timing belt and water pump change at 100k. As a comparison, my 2004 Honda Civic VP (considered one of the best of breed in the class) has a timing belt and water pump change due at app 110k. Prices are also comparable app 605 vs 550.

Plugs also needed to be changed on the Civic since spark plug are key to the running of this gasser. These plugs are more like the 26 dollar per set variety and not the not the 8 dollar or less variety.
  • Options
    fs1111fs1111 Member Posts: 2
    That was caused by the cheap plastic window guide. Jetta has a recall for that. I had a similar problem on my 2000 Jetta. The dealer should replace it for free.
  • Options
    fs1111fs1111 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me when should I put the feon for the 2000 Jetta 2.0? I couldn't find where is the value.
  • Options
    fatrickfatrick Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have not run into that yet...hopefully I won't...I have owned my 2002 vr6 for about 1.5 months. maybe someone will know I sure hope so. Two lights have come on recently and was wondering if anyone knows what they might be. One is the EPC light and the other is a triangle with circular arrow going counter clock wise around it. I anyone has any idea's I would sure appreciate it. Otherwise it is prolly the best car I have purchased in sometime.

Thanks for any thought.

Fat Rick
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    If you do some research about these springs that are found underneath the front seats, you will find that it is VERY common for them to be found laying there.

Apparently, they are originally used to "assist" when adjusting the seat. Most people stash them in the trunk with the spare tire and forget about them. Unless you are having issues adjusting the seats, it is not worth your time to fuss with them.
  • Options
    Does your car have ESP feature? (triangle with circular arrow going counter clock wise around it sounds like ESP)

The EPC lamp can come on for many different reasons. The only way to tell why is to "pull the code" from the computer. Do some reasearch about VAG-COM to see if there is somone in your area that can help. Alternately, you can check with some auto-parts stores, some of them will "pull the code" for no charge.
  • Options
    waiwai Member Posts: 325
    If a malfunction in the engine electronics should occur, the EPC indicator light will blink. The engine control automatically switches to a back-up program. You will notice, however a reduction in engine power. Pl. contact VW dealer as soon as possible.
    The second one is the ASR/ESP light, this light will start flashing when the vehicle is moving if the Anti-slip regulation or the electronic stabilization program is activated. The warning light will light up continuously if the system is switched off manually, or if a malfunction should occur. Since the ASR/ESP operates together with the ABS, this light will also comes on if a fault should occur in the ABS.
  • Options
    dawnerdawner Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2005.5 Jetta purchased in May and the engine is very loud and rattling. It goes for about 10-15 seconds and then stops. I have asked the dealership about this and they say it's "normal" ... caused by a safety feature. Is this normal? Is anyone else having this issue?

:confuse: ">
  • Options
    fatrickfatrick Member Posts: 2
    Hello there everyone,
    I have recently purchased a VW Jetta VR6 and have had it approx. 1.5 months. Just the other day The EPC Light has come on as well as a triangle with an exclamation point in it and a circle going around it counter clockwise with an arrow on the end. Just curious if anyone may have experience.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    The Triangle is the ASR/ESP warning light. if you manually shut down this control by pressing a button with a triangle saying ESP or ASR above the A/C. This light will come on continuously. When the computer sensed your car is not going in the same track of your steering wheel, it will also come on for a few seconds. I have experienced this quite frequent when I make a quick turn. My EPC light only come on when I start the car and it will disappear very soon.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Yes, it is true that the loud rattling engine sound is normal for 10-15 seconds, until it warms up. Ours does that too. Apparently this has been a feature of other VW engines also.

I have read a number of theories as to the cause, but no idea which is the correct one. The important thing is it is nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    natewins11natewins11 Member Posts: 29
    What is the symptoms of an ecu going bad and if it is dead where should i get one?
  • Options
    It is EXTREMLY unlikely that an ECU would be "going bad". Like most other electronic device, it either WORKS or it does NOT WORK...there is no in-between.

If you are having symptoms that are incosistant, look twards bad sensors or poor connections.,,,NOT the ECU.

HINT: the MAF sensor and the engine temp sensor are both known to get "flakey" and exibit strange running symproms.
  • Options
    dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    WOW! I can't believe yours lasted that long. Our 2002 window clips broke the first year. You can probably get these fixed for free because it has been a well documented problem. There may have been a recall or at the very least a TSB. I'd argue fiercely with the dealer if they won't cover the costs. Get the other door fixed, too.
  • Options
    andrewtandrewt Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up my 2003 Jetta Wagon 1.8T with manual transmission from the dealer. It was 723 dollars. The dealer made a grave mistake and never gave me the cost BEFORE they did the 40K service. I denied some extra work that I could do -- bulbs, wiper inserts -- but allowed them to clean the sun-roof drains ($66), but had never known the possible cost. What should I do here? I was so astonished and frustrated that all I could do was take my car and get out of there (I had to write them a postdated check because it was way more than I thought). I am going to call/write to them to complain, especially because they never pre-approved this work, and because, in my opinion some of this work is extraneous -- the BG 44K, perhaps. Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    That does sound pricey, but did YOU ever ask for the price of the 40K service?
  • Options
    No, I did not. Based on my past experiences, It was 615 for the 40K work and when they called me about the extraneous work, I only okayed the cleaning of the sunroof drains. I simply did not think it would be this much. This is first new car -- I am 25 -- and forgot to look at the work they were doing and whether it would be expensive.
  • Options
    Sorry. I meant "based on my past experiences, I did not think it would be this much."
  • Options
    dee16dee16 Member Posts: 1
    I had the car for 5 months Had it back to service today again this will be 7th time anything and everything has gone wrong with this car from day two when I had the car and went to get gas, gas door would not close the door had to be replaced. Since than I had it back for recalls and warring lights that just stay on. Today it is back agin for warring lights and they kept it. Who knows how long this will take. My next move is to call the corporate ofiice (I know that will be a joke) and voice a complaint I do not know where this will get me. But I will see. I would like to know if anyone is going thru the same problems

Thank you
  • Options
    First, I felt sorry for you. I have my 2004Jetta (6 speed manual) for 5 months (7,400 Miles) and has no problem at all, but I have went to dealership for 2 oil changes since.
  • Options
    The "40K service" on my 2003 TDI was less than $400. ( the TDI engine uses more expensive oil and fuel filters than the 1.8T too)

Light bulbs (in my state) are MANDITORY to be working and should be replaced whenever they are out. (Lest one may get stopped by the local constabulary)

Just dropping your car off and telling them to "do the 40K mile service" is just ASKING for trouble. To theire ears, you are saying "do whatever you think needs to be done and charge me for it". Many dealerships assume that a customer wants a full and complete service with no loose ends that the customer has to do themselves. It is not their fault that you "could have" replaced the wiper-blades yourself but did not tell them that.

Do you simply want the "bare minimum" service that satisfies the warantee... or do you want to drive away knowing that your car is "good to go" and no other work is needed? Make your desires known to the service-writer when you arrive.

An old addage that comes to mind is You pay for convienience... and that is EXACTLY what you got.

Since you are 25 and this is your first new car, perhaps you should chalk this up as a "life learning experience" and move on. It is UP TO YOU to specificcally tell any service writer EXACTLY what you desire for them to do. YOU need to read the owners manual and make a list of items that you want completed based on that. (allowing for the items you can do yourself)

BTW: You could also clean the sunroof vents yourself too, do some research on the internet for the procedure.
  • Options
    fsmith2fsmith2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Replaced the battery in my wifes 2000 Jetta GLS and now the radio is stuck on FM 88.3 but you can't hear anything. I can turn the radio on and off but nothing else works. I read about safe mode but this doesn't seem to be what it is doing. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    lamevwlamevw Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain! I bought a new 2000 Jetta in 99, and it's been nothing but trouble! :lemon: And I have yet to speak with a service agent who has any customer service skills whatsoever!!!!! The only thing worse than the product is the service!! Most people I have had to deal with have been just slightly more intelligent than rocks and offered solutions that make absolutely no sense! After having the "check engine" light reset 8 times or so, ultimately due to a bad mass air flow sensor, one service person actually told me in response to my frustration with the time and money spent, "yeah, that's why I don't drive fuel injected cars anymore!" What a MORON!! I have however found that most issues have been covered under warranty,including the mass airflow sensor which they ulitimately reimbursed me for, but a person buys a NEW car so as not to have to deal with mechanical problems! :mad: I have never, nor has anyone I know, seen more problems with any new car. It is absolutely unacceptable. :lemon: I expect to be having the CAT replaced under warranty as they have just sent a notice out extending it's coverage to 10yrs-120K Mi, and I have just begun to experience the rattling they describe in the letter. If I were you I would push for that coverage!!!!
  • Options
    akuskaakuska Member Posts: 7
    The manual says this is normal. I think the explanation is that the 5 cylinder needs the time to build up the oil pressure.
  • Options
    taylor320taylor320 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Wolfsburg 1.8t 5spd. There is a hitch in the steering when turning left through the straight ahead position of the wheel. It doesn't happen all the time and only after a substantial right turn. It feels like the steering wheel just sticks at center as it moves though. I had the tech at the dealership actually feel it but they could not determine the problem and have not fixed it. Any ideas?
  • Options
    alisha764alisha764 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my first new car recently. I bought a VW Jetta TDI because it has great MPG and I drive over 70 miles a day. Unfortunately, it has been the worst experience. First of all, when I got the car the back seat console was broken and there were chips/scratches on the trunk. The dealership did fix these two problems but that wasn't the end of my troubles. I have had the car for one month and it has been in the shop 3 times. I have broken down, normally in the middle of an intersection, when the service department is closed and had to be towed each time. Luckily, the car comes with 4-year roadside service; however, that still does not explain why the car has broken down so many times. I broke down a week after having the car and they told me that the code wasn't solid so they reset the computer codes, and basically told me that I was going to break down again. Well I did break down again about two weeks later. This time, after having the car for a week, they replaced the throttle and said that it was fixed. Well then a week after I had the car back, I broke down in a very busy intersection. My car is currently in the shop and they are telling me that it is a wiring problem, that there is a loose wire somewhere. Well it has been the same problem every time. I will be driving along and all of a sudden the glow plug engine light starts flashing, the car acts like it is in neutral and will not go anywhere. When you turn the engine off and then turn it back on the light is no longer flashing; however, don't drive too far because you will break down again (this helps you get out of those busy intersections but doesn't help you get home). When you restart the car and drive for a mile or two then the glow plug engine light starts flashing again and the engine exhaust malfunction light comes on. Once again the car acts like it is in neutral and will not go anywhere. Our car dealership, which has not been helpful, said that they have never heard of this happening before. **Has anyone ever heard of a problem with the glow plug engine light?** I do not think that it is a problem with all VW cars. I think that I just got a lemon.
    The worst part about all of this is that it is my first new car ever, the dealership has not been helpful, and breaking down in the middle of intersections is a safety risk. VW has been following up on the issue; however, I am still driving a rental. At this point I am requesting that they replace the car, but I was told that they 'may not' replace it until it breaks down 5 or more times with the exact problem, that it depends on different things.

Has anyone had this problem with their new Jetta?
  • Options
    crode22crode22 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: I own a 2000 Jetta it has 116,000 on it.For awhile now (over 2 years) it has been making a shh shh shh sound when it is running, I have replaced the serpentine belt but it still makes this noise. I have a manual transmission, and over the last month once in awhile the car will begin accelerating even when stopped or in neutral, it will rev up then down and up and down several times. If I turn off the car and back on it stops, or if I continue to drive it will stop eventually, any idea what might be causing this??? :sick:
  • Options
    murphynamurphyna Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I am having the same problem as of this morning. I didn't change the battery or have any other problem. The radio just seems to be stuck. I can't play CDs either. I have a 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg edition with a Monsoon radio.
  • Options
    try paragraphs...makes stuff a lot easier to read :) .
  • Options
    600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Your radio goes into "safe" mode (anti-theft feature) whenever power is cut off (whether by battery disconnection or by theft). This has been a VW feature since the mid-to-late 1980s. In order to re-activate the radio, check your owners manual and you should see the booklet for the radio. That booklet will describe the procedures to take your radio out of safe mode with a 4-digit security code. If you don't have the security code, you must go to the service department of any VW dealership and have them look up the code. They will need two types of information in order to do so - your vehicle's VIN number and the serial number of the radio (since the serial number is usually on the back of the radio, it will have to be removed).

Once you get the security code from the dealer, make sure you keep it in a safe place.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'd start proceedings for lemon law relief if practical.

i'd definitely report the problem on the national highway traffic safety administration web site:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
  • Options
    lorelore Member Posts: 17
    I was just curious about the oil changes for the new Jetta's. This is my first Jetta and my other cars I would either do the oil/filter changes myself or get it done at a jiffy lube. The manual says that the oil changes should be at 5,000 mile, 10k, 20k, 30k, etc for the 2.5 model. It also recommends the sythetic oils. Here is my question though:

How much does an oil/filter change costs at the dealership? I dont think Ive ever paid for a dealership oil/filter change (ones I got were for free). Is it insane?

And to me, going 10,000 miles between oil changes is a bit odd. I mean its awsome, but I just get worried going that long before a change. Has anyone had any issues going this long without changing the oil? :confuse:
  • Options
    oil change will be expensive, not because it is a dealer but because of the synthetic oil and it requires 6+ quarts of oil. I have had a lot of dealer oil changes for $18-22 (this is for our Fords, but I have seen VW dealers with coupons in the same range).

I have not had an oil change on ours yet but I have read of prices being anywhere from about $50+ to about $120 for the 5000 mile service.

I plan to follow the 10K or 12 mo. mfr recomendation, as long as we are using synthetic oil.
  • Options
    The 10,000 mile OCI (Oil Change Interval) is actully pretty leinent. The VW -spec oil has been shown to go twice that distance with no ill effects. Too bad the oil-filter cannot last that long.

Did you know that many automakers have 10,000 OCI? It is a big waste of time, money and the envronment (throwing away perfectly good oil) to go any less than that.

Only the folks that get PAID to change the oil still recommend 3,000 mile OCI. On my VW TDI, that is about 4 tanks of fuel ;-)
  • Options
    To cut down on the expense of synthetic oil changes, I would suggest bringing in your own oil. that's what I do with my Passat. For me, the dealer charges around $22 for an oil change when I provide my own oil.
  • Options
    For me, the dealer charges around $22 for an oil change when I provide my own oil.

Wow I didnt know you could do that. Where would one get the VW specific oil?
  • Options
    rdp2000rdp2000 Member Posts: 1
    This problem just started happening to my 2000 Jetta. No warranty. Anyone have advice about how to remove the headliner and do this myself? Maybe it's time for XM radio.
  • Options
    rooddogrooddog Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Jetta GLS with automatic transmission slipping also. I took it to my mechanic who said that VW issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this problem. VW stated that this is a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) for the gas pedal. If you on a slight uphill, lightly touch the gas and then let off. You will experience the transmission slip and then shift hard back into gear.

Apparently, the wiring harness for the TPS was assembled at the factory missing one wire. The VW dealer I went to said that he knew what I was talking about, and that he would install the new wiring harness for $100 and in an hour. This has helped, and a transmission fluid change should take care of the rest.

Hope this gives some insight to a potential fix......especially not being a new transmission.
  • Options
    The dealer would obviously like to sell you their oil (money maker), but you can bring your own without a problem!!!

You can purchase VW approved Synthetic oil almost anywhere. Try Walmart occasionally stocks Mobile 1 0W40(for my Passat). I usually get mine from Advanced Auto Parts.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot fish8, will try this on my next oil change. Do you also provide the filter as well or do they have that. Also Ive heard they change the drain plug (or something) at the dealership every oil change, is this true?
  • Options
    Not sure about the drain plug. I will try to look on my invoice to see if they charged me for it. I don't provide my own filter, but I guess I could. I did, for my 20K service, provide my own cabin/pollen filter.
  • Options
    glenjetta1glenjetta1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a used 2004 Jetta. Problem is, it tacs at 4,000 RPM when going 75-80 MPH. It will not go into an overdrive. I'm spending way too much on gas with this thing. Took it to the dealership and they said everything checked out normally. I am CERTAIN something is wrong here! I test drove 3 other Jetta's (same year, same model) and none of them went above 3,000 on the freeway. Anyone else have this problem? More importantly, is this a problem?
  • Options
    I think your Jetta is a gas 2.0L. What gear is it in , normally is at 4th gear at such a high speed. My VR6 is at 3000rpm at 6th gear at such a speed.
  • Options
    It is an automatic transmission so I think it must be in fourth. I used to drive stick so I can feel it when It needs to shift up. I had a crappy rental while it was in the shop, a brand new Chevy Cobalt (the new cavalier) and it was at 2 1/2 at 80!! I would think the Jetta should be better!
  • Options
    The normal rpm at 4th gear should be under 3000.
    This is the problem when you tested drive a vehicle, seldom you can drive upto 80mph on a freeway to test it at a high speed. You can go back to the VW dealer from where you bought the vehicle if you bought it from VW and its under the warranty. Try to go to some other dealers if they said 4000rpm is normal.
  • Options
    sh712sh712 Member Posts: 1
    I have a used VW Jetta, I have had nothing but problems with the car since I purchased it about a year ago. There is a warning light that I really don't know what it is but it looks like a triangle with and exclamation point inside the triange and a circle with an arrow point on the end of it, around the triangle, that light comes on constantly and my car just stops and the battery light comes on. Sometimes I'm able to restart the car but the last incident I was unable to start the car again. This has been an ongoing problem with this car. I've taken it in to the dealer before, they kept the car for a week and claimed to have changed the Fuel injection but I'm still having problems and its been over a year now. Sometimes the engine shakes and the car even jerks forward when I have my foot on the brake. Does anyone out there know what this could be????? HELP!!!
  • Options
    Under 3000 is what I would have thought. Thats also how the other Jetta's I test drove ran. I know its not the biggest deal in the world for the dealerships to care about, but it really bothers me that they keep on calling it "normal" when I know its not. I take long trips often, I would certainly not want to be driving at 4000 RPM on a 3 hour road trip. Its not comfortable, its loud and it eats up gas. I don't know a ton about cars, but can they adjust anything to lower the RPM's?
  • Options
    I used to drive a 2.0 Jetta (2002) with a 5 speed manual and I did notice the RPM's were high at highway speeds. But, I rarely got below 30MPG in combined driving. I get around 26-27 with my Passat now, but sure miss the 30+mpg I got with my Jetta.