Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

To Ripley and Back, Believe it or Not - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Mazda
imageTo Ripley and Back, Believe it or Not - 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Long-Term Road Test

Once again, my eyes snapped open well before dawn. So I grabbed the keys to our 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata and went out on an unplanned 503-mile road trip.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Pretty amazing stuff considering that the previous generation (and previous generations before that) averaged somewhere around 26 MPG.
  • photobob15photobob15 Member Posts: 3
    Just did 5000 miles in 9 days including one 900 mile day...I'm 6'1 and was never uncomfortable..avg 34.6 mpg for the trip and at one point got 40 mpg for 700 miles..in fact it was more comfortable than mine 15 WRX
  • longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Pretty good...but have to remember this vehicle is under 2,400 lbs. And the other stuff about Skyactiv - that is has very low specific output for a NA two-liter...is also for real. There is no free lunch.
  • juwujuwu Member Posts: 15
    how was the wind and road noise on the highway? i have a 95 Miata and I must be getting older because the highway noise gets old quickly
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    juwu said:

how was the wind and road noise on the highway? i have a 95 Miata and I must be getting older because the highway noise gets old quickly

My other car is a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top, which means I'm probably not the one to ask. Seriously, though, there is some wind noise, but it isn't bad. This top is shorter because the windscreen leans back more than before, the front third (?) before the first hinge point is fairly rigid, and it has a glass rear window. It's notably quieter than the NA, in other words. Tire road noise? Well, that's about the same as it ever was.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• speed12silspeed12sil Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2016
    longtimelurker:
    Torque(and gearing) is what matters when accelerating. HP matters for top speed. For most people this isn't used for top speed, so it ends up being a good design decision IMO. And fwiw, I'd buy this car or the abarth 124 for the size and not outright speed. I've got another impractical weekend car that fits that quite well....

Pretty good...but have to remember this vehicle is under 2,400 lbs. And the other stuff about Skyactiv - that is has very low specific output for a NA two-liter...is also for real. There is no free lunch.