Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Selling my Volt in California: How do I value the "Green decal" HOV Sticker?

vilmoszvilmosz Member Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Chevrolet
Here's an interesting conundrum: California has put the brakes on HOV stickers which allow electric vehicles to ride the carpool lane. Which means, from what I gather, if you purchase a Volt today, you won't be able to get a green decal. I happen to own a 2016 Volt with a green decal. How do I value the car for sale, assuming there is a value add to having carpool lane access? Has anyone had experience with selling a car with the decal?

For those outside of California: Simply having a Volt will not grant access to the carpool lane: In fact, I was stopped an nearly ticketed by an officer who knew I was driving a Volt, but neglected to see the green decal (had been placed in the wrong position).

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No speculation eh? Seems like that would be worth something extra.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited September 2016
    I don't think it has a monetary value that you can place on it--it's more of a sales tool, as in "Wait, there's MORE!"

So, short answer is: If you inflate the price of your Volt above market value, just because of the HOV, I doubt anyone will pay more for it. Maybe in the "old days" when they were a new thing, it mattered a bit (some say $1000 value) but now, with HOV lanes all clogged up, I have to wonder.
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    "In Philadelphia, it's worth $50" - channeling Bo Diddely in Trading Places.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    vilmoszvilmosz Member Posts: 2
    I imagine the value is whatever someone will pay. Someone with disposable cash (couple of those out here in LaLaLand) that wants the privilege of cruising down the carpool lane might go for it. Particularly when you consider that you can drive a Tesla X but still get ticketed if you don't have that green decal -- and they ain't printing no more of them from what I can tell, at this point.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2016
    Just did search for HOV on the LA craigslist and found ~25 ads for cars with stickers. I guess you could compare appraisal prices with the asking prices for some of those cars and guesstimate what the going rate is. There's one '16 Volt with 10k miles listed for $40k - maybe that's yours?