Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Threw a rod in engine

kel2009kel2009 Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in GMC
I own a 2009 Acadia and my engine threw a rod yesterday with 92,000 miles. Recently had it in to GM and they had it for almost 2 months. Timing chain was bad, oil sludge in the engine, GM stated oil changes were not done properly to which I proved them wrong. Cost over $2000 to fix and they finally agreed it was due to broken seal of some sort in the engine. My extended warranty did cover this. 6,000 miles later the rod was thrown! Had it towed to GM. They can't see it until Monday. Any others feeling my pain with this 3.6L V6 engine? Help!!!

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Properly serviced the oil would not sludge in double that mileage. How often were the services performed? Who did them and what oil was used? Articles like this one served to confuse consumers and shops alike and blur the lines between what was really required and what was not. Your car should have been getting a 5W30 that was approved for API SM, ILSAC GF4 AND GM6094M when you first got it and then when dexos superseded the GM 6094M specification your vehicle should have been switched to products approved for that specification.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It will be interesting to see what's up when they open the engine. A structural failure on an otherwise internally clean engine might put the ball in their court. If there's evidence of oil starvation and internal sludge, you're going to have a hard time with that.
  • kel2009kel2009 Member Posts: 5
    The oil was changed on average every 3,000 miles and was done at a GM dealship, not necessarily the same GM dealership location. They did note after investigation, it was changed correctly. Will keep you posted on what is found.
    Be sure to dig up all your receipts for service or ask the dealer for a print out.
    kel2009 said:

The oil was changed on average every 3,000 miles and was done at a GM dealship, not necessarily the same GM dealership location. They did note after investigation, it was changed correctly. Will keep you posted on what is found.

Using the right oil (GM 6094M, and then dexos) you should have been able to go as far as 7500 miles between services and the engine would NOT have sludged up. Having receipts that it was dealer serviced would be real important, if the dealers didn't have the techs using the right products the failure should be on them. IMO.

Did you read the article that I linked?
    Yes I did. That was very helpful. I have some research to do but I will look into what was used for my cars oil changes. 
    How is it that you feel the article helped? Advice like that supported the usage of the wrong products in cars like yours.
    It brought attention to the fact that the wrong oil has been used in some vehicles . I need to look into my own receipts to be sure what they used in my Acadia. 
    Well, my extended warranty has agreed to cover the cost of a re manufactured engine. Calling tomorrow to see exactly what they found. All I know at this point is that it was definitely a rod. My oil changes were done on time and I did everything I should have with this vehicle. It's In GM's court. Will keep you posted. 
    Well that's good news. Yeah, let us know what they found.