Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Using a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in General
imageUsing a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle

Using a Car Broker to Buy Your Next Vehicle article on Edmunds.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Inserting a third party is going to add costs. Anyone willing to do a little research and footwork can beat a deal from a broker, every time.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• davrod12davrod12 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry kyfdx but this is a pointless and misleading comment. You can do all the research in the world but as an individual you are far less connected than the average buyer who enters the market every 3 or so years. You likely think you got the best deal ever but left a few grand on the table...but how would you know. As someone who worked in the car business for almost 20 years, it is absolutely worth your $200-$500 to use a broker. I know the industry inside and out and I still use a broker, mostly to use his connections and favors to get the absolute best deal possible. 20% of sticker is possible (without rebates) with some manufacturers. Lease vs purchase isnt always black and white...there are factors right. Factors that the average internet savy buyer wont know. Just my 2 cents folks.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    A broker is like a trade-in....it's a great convenience and so what if it costs you a little more? (and it may not in the long run).

I'd rather spend a few extra hours doing what I do well, and using that income to pay a broker, than to go through the grueling process of hammering out the best possible deal with multi-dealer visits and negotiations.

On the other hand, if I had a long working relationship with a particular dealer, then I might think otherwise.

A broker is like a trade-in....it's a great convenience and so what if it costs you a little more? (and it may not in the long run).

I'd rather spend a few extra hours doing what I do well, and using that income to pay a broker, than to go through the grueling process of hammering out the best possible deal with multi-dealer visits and negotiations.

On the other hand, if I had a long working relationship with a particular dealer, then I might think otherwise.

When you use a broker, how do you know you are getting a good deal? Because, he says so?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ocsearchocsearch Member Posts: 1
    Is 10% of the mfg.'s sale price too high for a broker to charge? It seems a little high to me.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    10% of MSRP sounds way high to me.

If the broker gets 10% off MSRP and charges 10%, well, that doesn't add up either.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    I would think any broker charge above, say, $500 is excessive.

10% of MSRP? That would have been $2100 for my Jetta that I leased this past summer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Chev1956Chev1956 Member Posts: 1

Looking for a VW Vanagon Synchro (4×4) camping van

Chev1956 said:

Looking for a VW Vanagon Synchro (4×4) camping van

We don't allow solicitation in our forums. You won't find a broker on here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator