Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Radio Problems

2»

Comments

• jrn325jrn325 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2011 Lorado...Only when turning right.. Have you had a satisfactory resolution??
  • babsbluebabsblue Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 GC. Bought used 4 years ago. The radio/CD player is original. The Single CD slot over the radio has had issues for over a year not playing in the winter when the heat has been on and not wanting to eject. It finally quit working, it just didn't show up on the display, so I use the CD changer in the back for CD use. Last week I started the car and the radio/clock display was not lit, but the radio & CD Changer were operating normally. This weekend my boyfriend checked the fuse which he said looked fine, but changed the fuse anyway. During the process we were checking the CD changer/radio which were working but still no display. When I drove the car home, the radio & CD in the slot were the only things that would work. It's been a year since the single CD worked and it had a CD stuck in it. Now, on the way home it's playing and the CD changer won't. When I ejected the CD it would not go back in. So now, there is no display, the CD Player & Changer will not work and it will not eject out of the changer. Radio still works. Good Grief! Does this sound repairable at the dealership?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes pulling the fuse will "reboot" the CD player so try that again.

The How to Remove a Stuck CD discussion has some tips that may help.
  • tconley1tconley1 Member Posts: 1
    Both of my remote openers stopped working after working intermittently. The problem was caused by a cold solder joint where the battery holder is soldered to the P/C board in the remote. Easy fix, if you know how to solder. Disassemble the remote. Remove the P/C board. Remove the battery. Note which way it is inserted so it'll be easier to re-install. Examine both battery clips to see which of the legs has come loose - both could be loose. Clamp an alligator clip so that it pushes down on the loose battery clip. Turn the board over so the loose solder joints can be heated with a low wattage P/C pencil soldering iron. I found that the battery clips snapped into place as soon as the joint was heated. Be sure to examine all legs on the clips to make sure all are down tight to the board. Add solder as required. I've had to do this twice on my remote and once on my wife's.
    Replace the battery. If it's a couple of years old, now is a good time to get a new one. Reassemble the remote. I haven't had to re-program mine.
    Tim
  • automaniac55automaniac55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Overland with the 430N radio. Received a firmware update CD in the mail from Chrysler/Sirius that promised to add new feature - TravelLink. Followed instructions on disk jacket exactly, after pressing YES to the prompt “Upgrade …” the radio appears to have locked up. That was over 60 hours ago. It won’t finish update, never powers down, is unresponsive to all controls , won’t eject disk. Chrysler 800 number “service” no help – only wanted to reread me the jacket instructions. Anyone else receive this update disk, did it install properly for you and what can I do to get my radio/nav/backup camera/clock to reset?
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    I received the same update, haven't loaded though. I think someone in the 2011 JGC forum said they received and had no problems loading.

Good luck!
  • xc90508xc90508 Member Posts: 26
    Anyone else having Uconnect issues? I've had my 2011 JGC Laredo 26X with th 430N radio for about 9 months now. Back in May, the Uconnect stopped linking to my phone. Just noticed all of a sudden one day that it wasn't linking to my phone. Didn't see the battery and bars symbol like on a cell phone. Took it to the dealer. They "reset" the radio and then loaded updated software that they had to order. No problems since. Then in the last couple of weeks, when I leave work the phone appears to connect (NAV screen shows battery and bars). When I hit the phone button (on radio or steering wheel) there are several things that may happen...

- Uconnect doesn't respond at all (sometimes the bars and battery go away)
    - Uconnect responds, but as if no phone is connected
    - Even locks up at times

Ususally have to drive a while and even turn the car off and back on to get uconnect to work.
    But it is not the 10 or 15 seconds that it used to be.

Thinking I will take it back to the dealer in the next week. At least maybe they can "reset " radio again. Not sure how they do that. I tried removing the fuse to cut power, but that didn't change anything. I reven set Uconnect back to factory settings and re-paired my phone. No help.

Other than that, no problems. Hope they can fix this. Nothing major, but an annoyance!
  • hugh_howeyhugh_howey Member Posts: 1
    I would like to see if any one had any idea on what is going on with my radio. i have lose the display. The radio still works and so does the cd player. all other lights on the radio is also working. The display comes on the first thing in the morning but goes out
  • jamie45jamie45 Member Posts: 1
    My radio and Cd player work, but only 1 speaker works its the tweeter in the dash on the drivers side. Could this be a problem with in the radio its self? I do not have a clue.
  • hansohanso Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000.
    After a battey change the radio says no rds signal and keeps quiet. Now and then it works for a short while. It can not lock on any channels but if you tune it to a specific station i can work sometimes as mentioned above. We have tried with another antenna (inside the garage) and it did not improve the function.
  • liroyliroy Member Posts: 1
    same here .. any idea?
  • shawn_mshawn_m Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee and my radio does the same. You can only change radio stations if they are preset but you can only get on am/fm if the display is working.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    I have an '01 JGC with similar issues. 1. The wires from the body into the doors are famous for breaking after years of being flexed as the door swings. 2. I have also found that years of thumping bass notes can make the braided wires coming off the door speaker cones break.

Solutions:
    1. Look for wire breaks in the harness entering the doors. The best approach is to use an ohmmeter (DMM) to measure continuity of the wire.

2. Remove the speaker and examine the point where the braid is soldered to the connector jack. Sometimes the wire can be resoldered, but be careful not to shorten the braid so much that the cone cannot move freely for its full excursion.

If you have the Infinity Gold radio, there is also an amplifier under the rear seat. Speaker-level signals are sent in from the head unit, and amplified speaker-level are sent out to the speakers. Breaks in this chain will also lead to no sound.
  • pacman8pacman8 Member Posts: 2
    It sounds like what's going on with our radio (NAV). We have no display. It has sound but I can't change channels except by using the preset buttons. The volume works but nothing else. Every once in awhile when I start it and it rained out the display and all buttons work for a split second then it goes out. Any idea what's going on here? Have you figured yours out yet?
  • jetjeepjetjeep Member Posts: 1
    2011 Jeep GRAND Cherokee overland .I am having problems with everything electronic.Monday they are going to replace the instrument cluster! they hope that will fix the problems. All the setting are gone haywire. My alerts dont work i have no sound. My uconnect is always doing the same where it wont work then it will. nothing in the setting is working. I have just over 4500 miles on this overland 2011.It sound as if they are guessing on all of it. This car went threw quality control. Does anyone know what they do during quality check?
  • hansohanso Member Posts: 2
    I bought a "new" radio unit for around 100 Euro and now it works fine.
  • srnewman1srnewman1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Grand Cherokee. It seems that the satellite module has gone bad. I would like to know exactly where the module is located so I can replace it. I have been told it is in the rear quarter panel, but need to where and which side to limit all the work involved in getting to it.
  • beecher200beecher200 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am having the same problem with 2011 Overland. I called the dealer and they said they never heard of that happening before. Did changing the instrument cluster help?
  • jeepppjeeppp Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i have a 2011 GC overland with similar problem but sounding like i might need to bring this back for service soon. Its very annoying driving without control of the radio and all display.
  • beecher200beecher200 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2011 Overland to the dealer. They re-installed a fuse. They said the fuse was not properly installed during dealer prep. 2 days and a bunch of left turns and everything is still working. I am keeping my fingers crossed!
  • moirajunemoirajune Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact issue with my '05. I've had it for 3 years and this just started. Did you ever find the solution?
  • pdi57pdi57 Member Posts: 1
    My parents 2005 JGC does the same thing. It was intermittent for a while, but is now completely blank. A new radio will cost $2500. We would like to exhaust all other possibilities before spending this.

It has never had any of the firmware updates (dealers didn't know how to do them!) and it is the radio that has the cd player, sirius, and navigation system included.

If anyone has any ideas of what to try, please let me know. I have to drive their jeep every day and it's really annoying to listen to their radio station! :-)
  • grandpopdgrandpopd Member Posts: 4
    You may want to try contacting Navtec and asking whether their update, Version 3.0, will correct the problem. I have just completed the update myself by purchasing it through them at $149. It will uodate the Navigation Radion as well as the navigation maps. Do NOT have a dealer do it because they charge $100, and it just involves inserting 2 discs and waiting for the system to reboot several times. Good luck.
  • chuckcwrchuckcwr Member Posts: 1
    Both drivers side doors speakers don't work. The passenger side doors speakers and in dash speakers work but only at max volume and faintly.
  • tjohnsonjrtjohnsonjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7, and I am experiencing the same issue. When I start my vehicle sometimes the radio will turn on. If I turn the car off to "go into a store" or "get gas" the radio may not come back on. This happens on and off throughout the day. Any corrections for this problem? Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • bozomaskbozomask Member Posts: 1
    I had same problem and same symptoms. Knowing the fuses were not blown I went a step further. Knowing 12vdc was available at the ACC pin on the gray radio plug, I assumed it was not getting to where it should be going. I removed the top cover, took out 4 screws that held in the CD player and unplugged the ribbon cable. Removed all the screws from the diecast heatsink on the left hand side of the radio. There are two more screws to remove that secure the radio harness plug bracket, and a module that plugs into the main chassis. Remove the module, then slip out the harness plug bracket and unplug its connector from the main chassis board. This was enough to put my radio back in operation when it was reassembled. Contact cleaner may be of benefit, but just the unplugging and replugging of these components restored contact and the current flow through the ACC connection.

Good Luck!

bozo
  • jeepgc2jeepgc2 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee at auction - everything was fine but the radio. All the controls worked - displays worked - played CD - NO sound. Went into Jeep forums - suggested I needed a new radio. Bought the exact same radio - single CD AM/FM only difference an AUX plug. Installed - NO sound. Frustrated!! Would appreciate some help in this matter.
  • ebbc13ebbc13 Member Posts: 1
    jeepgc2 said:

Bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee at auction - everything was fine but the radio. All the controls worked - displays worked - played CD - NO sound. Went into Jeep forums - suggested I needed a new radio. Bought the exact same radio - single CD AM/FM only difference an AUX plug. Installed - NO sound. Frustrated!! Would appreciate some help in this matter.

I have the same problem. Did you fix it???. 'Cause this driving me crazy. I really appreciate any help.
  • gollnerrgollnerr Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2012 JGC new and within a year they changed out the CPU and the radio. Three years later (12 Dec 2015) my radio goes intermittently inop. The display is constant and I can't turn it off or on or change any functions. Coincidentally it was raining when the radio crapped out, but I won't rule that out just yet, but I did read where someone was suspicious of the liquid sunshine. Fuses are good. What I do know for sure is that on the few times the radio was working, it will go inop again whenever I touch ANY soft key on either side of the radio. I have an appt for this and I'll bring the radio codes suggestions to the service manager as well as what I've learned. Let you know results of that. I just got the car back due to problems with the air pressure modules reading falsely, and now this. I understand everything with hi end electronics will have an occasional bug, but a car costing $50,000 should have a better track record than this, and I would expect a dealership should have access to a central database listing virtually every service problem with what worked to fix it. The dealers in Tucson are completely clueless about such an idea, and frankly don't give a damn. I LOVE my Grand! It's beautiful, luxurious, works great and does everything but make me breakfast, but I seriously doubt I'll buy another. The Lexus compares very well and they're about the same price, and I doubt they have intractable problems like Chrysler products.
  • r111ewwr111eww Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my 2008 JGC Overland diesel. Radio works but no output from amp. I have discovered that if I remove the amps 30amp fuse and then replace it (same fuse) the amp starts working again.
    This can last for several days or stop the next time I turn on the ignition, all very strange.
    I have other electrical gremlins. The speedo and rev counter bounce and when driving along the road the park sensors come on for no reason and kill the radio. Can all these problems all be linked? Any ideas?
  • rugy1953rugy1953 Member Posts: 4
    I had the same radio problem that most of you are discussing. Radio didn't seem to get reception. Well to make a very long story short, here is what I did and it resolved the problem.
    Disconnect your battery (the ground cable - take off the post) and leave your vehicle set for 10-15 minutes. Then hook the cable backup, and if you have the same luck as I did everything should work like brand new.
    All you are doing is rebooting the computer.
    Good Luck!!!!!! I hope it works for you.
  • rugy1953rugy1953 Member Posts: 4
    ebbc13 said:

jeepgc2 said:

I have the same problem. Did you fix it???. 'Cause this driving me crazy. I really appreciate any help.
    Check my message at the end of the postings.