Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Lease Transfer Questions (IL to CA)

bimmerwallbimmerwall Member Posts: 11
edited September 2016 in Chevrolet
I'm looking to do a Illinois to California lease swap through Ally. I've done a few in the past, but never from a state that has confusing tax issues like Illinois. What are the hang ups on a transfer? Will I owe a huge amount at the start of my swap? Will the taxes already paid by the previous owner count for anything against the taxes due on the car?

And if I were to trade the vehicle in with positive equity, could any Chevrolet dealership accept the lease?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,212

I'm looking to do a Illinois to California lease swap through Ally. I've done a few in the past, but never from a state that has confusing tax issues like Illinois. What are the hang ups on a transfer? Will I owe a huge amount at the start of my swap? Will the taxes already paid by the previous owner count for anything against the taxes due on the car?

And if I were to trade the vehicle in with positive equity, could any Chevrolet dealership accept the lease?

Thanks!

I would be worried, because they have already paid the sales tax upfront in Illinois, but CA taxes the monthly payment, so the lease payment might be going up by 8%-10%.

Frankly, I wouldn't do it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bimmerwallbimmerwall Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for your help. Didn't do it.