Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1989 Yugo GVL Long Term Road Test | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Yugo
image1989 Yugo GVL Long Term Road Test | Edmunds.com

Our long-term 1989 Yugo GVL, a.k.a. the Edmunds Yugo, has departed the fleet via auction, setting some records along the way. Here's our official farewell.

Read the full story here

Comments

• daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    The Edmunds Community will never forgive you for selling this car. This is the second strike against Edmunds. The first was taking a C2 Corvette and parking it in your headquarters, which is a horrible fate for a car, turning it into an indoor display...but now? Y'all sold the Yugo. A pox on your progeny.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I disagree...selling the Yugo to an enthusiastic buyer has spared it from such a mundane fate as the Corvette. If you love something, set it free.

(And as the article hints, it's possible that this Yugo could turn up again...like a bad penny.)
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    @misterfusion : I agree with the part about it going to an enthusiast as opposed to becoming a static display. I just feel that there were so many squandered avenues with the Yugo. It's initial purpose was as a "penalty box." But in truth, it morphed into something more. Maybe they bought it as a joke to begin with, but it became (at least to me based on others responses as well as my own) a favorite. In truth, they didn't write that many articles about it.

I feel like they significantly undervalued this little car. Not just in its market value (as shown by their selling price), but with the more intangible aspects as well.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    On that I do agree. The Yugo struck a nerve (in a good way), and they could have done more with it...brand ambassador, mascot, or, umm...just writing about it more.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "A CNN crew accompanied us to the Concours d'LeMons, by the way, and shot a bunch of footage"

I guess they were gonna play it if Bernie became Prez.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    As I predicted, this car wasn't the worst thing you've ever tested - not by a long shot. Heck, it was better than the Dart, whose mysterious demise has yet to be explained here.