Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

August Fuel Economy Update - Back in Balance - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in BMW
imageAugust Fuel Economy Update - Back in Balance - 2016 BMW 340i xDrive Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2016 BMW 340i improves its fuel economy once again thanks to a road trip to the Pacific Northwest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Very trendy to observe that BMW has lost its way, etc. in many quarters (not in this post), but this is an awesome car.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    34.6 mpg highway, with all wheel drive, and crazy hp. that's awesome.

but, i'd be willing to give up some hp/performance (that i'll pretty much never use) for an engine designed to be run on regular unleaded. premium isn't 15 cents more a gallon like it used to be... i hear in some places it can be $1 more per gallon.

(according to edmund's list of "premium required", most bmw's are on it, including this one.)

even with regular under $2; i still can't pay the premium price. i'm ruined because i know how "cheap" it used to be, relative to regular...
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    All of my vehicles except the Wrangler run on premium; what type of fuel a car requires has never been even a minor consideration at purchase time. On my 2er the added expense for 93 octane fuel comes to a whopping 56 cents per day.
    Oh the humanity!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    whobodymwhobodym Member Posts: 190
    premium unleaded is regularly about 20 cents additional per gallon here in the pacific northwest -- I've never seen a $1 differential
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    " netted us a record tank of 518.4 miles and 34.6 mpg", at what speed do you guys drive on the highway to achieve this?? 40mph? With 320hp inline 6 cannot see how you guys would be able to keep it under 80pmg.
  • Options
    dvanosdvanos Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2016
    whobodym said:

premium unleaded is regularly about 20 cents additional per gallon here in the pacific northwest -- I've never seen a $1 differential

Agreed, never seen $1 more for premium in my life, in my area it's usually like a 0.20 cent increase with the exception of Shell V Power which cost about 0.40-0.50 more. I personally have been filling up with Vpower for a few years now and my car('13 BMW 135i) continues to perform flawlessly even as it increases in mileage. I'm a strong believer of "you get what you pay for". I'm hoping this investment in better fuel will payoff in the form of less carbon buildup.