Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sedona ignition replaced

overitalreadyoveritalready Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Kia
Hi, last week after parking at nearby park I returned to my van put the key in, wouldn't turn. Seemed as if steering wheel locked so we brought the floor jack released pressure off wheels, nada, finally managed to get key to turn after several trips and suggestions so we could get it home. Replaced ignition unit not just cylinder but entire unit now the key turns all bells n whistles come on it turns over but won't start. I am betting it's because of some sort of theft mechanism that doesn't recognize the new keys/ignition. Been difficult to find much info, none of auto parts stores have the service repair manual and of course part from dealership had no instructions. Can anyone tell me what the fix is to get van on board w ignition replacement. Also the dealership gave us 2 bolts that they said were one time use bolts when replacing part but we were able to replace w out ever finding the elusive bolts.

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    You need a scan tool like the G-Scan to access the security system and train it to accept the new keys.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Probably a trip to a locksmith or dealer for this one.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Or a top shop that has stepped up and bought the scan tool necessary to perform that function. That's underscores just what kinds of challenges we have faced in the last ten to fifteen years. The ONLY reason for me to add a G-scan to my collection of scan tools are the Hyundia/Kia security functions. I can do everything else with those cars with more mainstream professional level scan tools.