Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    edited September 2016
    I booked a flight for next month. I usually use Hertz Gold, but their cars seem to have cheapened up over the past year or two. Just want a sedan and even with an affinity discount and promo code a weekly rental was going to be over $450. (summer is over and apparently they have really jacked up their rates) I think they are trying to get you to go the airline route and buy a $60 cheaper nonrefundable rate. Speaking of airlines, found out my Hertz Gold miles apparently aren't accepted at some airport locations. Anyway, checked into Costco. My kid has had good luck with that. I'm getting essentially the same car at $296, and the rate is refundable through Costco with Enterprise. It will be interesting to see how that goes. The one drawback is I won't be able to walk right to my car, but for $150 difference I can wait in line.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    I recently booked a car too. I was thinking about a cheapish trip to take this year, so I cashed in some air miles and Hertz points, and am flying into ATL then on to the coast in November. Those combined with pricelined and points hotels will make it not too hard on the wallet, and I'll spend most of the trip in the mellow area from Charleston to Daytona Beach. Should be good weather that time of year.

I have a ton of Hertz points from an online survey site. I booked a "luxury" class car for 10 days - I could have got a "premium" for less points, but I don't want to risk a zero option Charger (my last Hertz "premium") or one of the zero option Impalas I read are in the Hertz premium fleet. A "luxury" will be a 300 or maybe something nicer, which is more fun - I want something enjoyable for the drive.
    I like both of those places. Daytona Beach may be a bit tacky, but during offseason periods it is pretty laid back and affordable. Charleston is nice, but much more commercial than a decade or so ago. Savannah is a couple hour drive from there if you are into the arts or civil war stuff. Don't know if you can still get Paula Deen "budder" cookin' there though B)
    I got some good hotel details as I booked places further south. I'll be spending a couple days in Savannah yeah, and visiting an old friend there. I've been there before, so not a new experience, but it is comfortable.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Weather here in Florida then should be nice as our heat usually breaks sometime in October. Last winter, if one could call it that, wasn't that cold really, maybe call it a cool one but we take what we get down here. Did Charleston when the kids were teens and it was quite fun actually. And a very good chance of getting a MB or something similar is very possible from Hertz. Call the office in advance maybe and see what they can do for ya. Many times this happens at ours and yours truly is the one who usually gets it.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

I don't know if I could call into a major airport and request a car - but might be able to negotiate at the desk if you can charm the agent.

Saw what I am pretty sure is a rental CTS in the workplace garage this morning - I wouldn't complain about one of those.
    Saw what looked like a nicely equipped Tahoe LTZ rental yesterday (multiple barcodes, plates with no frames, etc), that wouldn't be a bad cruiser. Too many zero option cars in the fleets.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2016
    fintail said:

Gen 9 is definitely in the rental fleets on the west coast.

I've seen several of the Gen 9 in fleets in the southeast and midwest. Drove it a couple of times, it's as good as the Camry except for the dash, the fabric sewn on look doesn't work for me.
    Saw the new Cruze hatch at the Chevy dealer today...nice job Chevy!!! It was an LT model with 16" wheels but think I'd spring for an LTZ to get 17" tires hopefully and nicer goodies inside. I happen to love hatchbacks and have had a 1979 Datsun 210 hatch, a 1988 Toyota FX hatch and now, a 2015 VW Golf hatch. Even my kid has a hatch, a 2009 Versa SL. Love the added flexibility that they give when needed and the ability to haul larger items when necessary. And love the smaller size which fits better on my side of the garage.
    Hopefully, we'll get the new Cruze hatch at Hertz very soon.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

G9 Malibu rental parked near me at work today. It had a pretty serious bump/scrape on the passenger side rear quarter, I suspect from a parking garage pillar. Hope someone bought the insurance.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

G9 Malibu rental parked near me at work today. It had a pretty serious bump/scrape on the passenger side rear quarter, I suspect from a parking garage pillar. Hope someone bought the insurance.

Ever since Enterprise and I got into a fight over a dent in a Mazda 3 I rented for all of 8 hours, (a $250 fight), I take at least 4 or 5 pictures of a car before leaving the lot. The dent had no paint damage, so it was a contoured large but subtle dent that wouldn't be noticeable especially since they delivered the car to me wet (washed but not dried). I also pay more attention to the pre-inspection for damages. Live and learn.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    When I rent overseas, I just buy the full insurance (cheaper there too), and don't worry. Here. a walk around with pics of any flaws is a good idea.

Rentals on the road today - XTS, Regal, Impala LT, a couple of Altimas likely rentals too.
    andres3 said:

Ever since Enterprise and I got into a fight over a dent in a Mazda 3 I rented for all of 8 hours, (a $250 fight), I take at least 4 or 5 pictures of a car before leaving the lot. The dent had no paint damage, so it was a contoured large but subtle dent that wouldn't be noticeable especially since they delivered the car to me wet (washed but not dried). I also pay more attention to the pre-inspection for damages. Live and learn.

Saw a rental Chrysler 300 on the road today - this one had pano and chrome wheels, not sure what engine. Wouldn't be a bad rental.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    fintail said:

Saw a rental Chrysler 300 on the road today - this one had pano and chrome wheels, not sure what engine. Wouldn't be a bad rental.

I had one of those as a rental a while back, really liked it aside from the XL size.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

In roughly 10 days I have a 10 day Hertz "luxury" rental at ATL, the anticipation is starting.

There's been a rental CTS hanging out in the workplace parking garage for weeks. Red, solid roof, 3.6, HUD, I'd be more than pleased with that.
    Hertz upgraded me to one of those a year or so ago in Vegas. So they are definitely out there.
    I'm just hoping for something nice. Rental is mostly points, hopefully that doesn't matter. Maybe I will get lucky, I am not afraid to negotiate :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh you'll love the Chevy Spark B)
    If I find a Spark in my numbered space, there's going to be a problem B)
    I've read that on flyertalk too, people complain loudly about getting old miled up cars from Hertz, to the point where they claim they are taking their business elsewhere. Kind of makes sense - Hertz often sells for at least a small premium, but when the car they give you is more worn and has more miles than one from a competitor who charges less, people will talk.

Any "luxury" (Class I) cars in the fleet there?
    Trust me, we are upgrading the fleet...at least down in the South Florida region. Drove a brand new Cruze yesterday, just over 1250 miles on it and we had to get seven Hyundai Sonata's for the presidents visit today and mine had the highest miles, just over 4K. Hertz is definitely updating their fleet which is what the people wanted!

I think rental cars in general over the past few years have gotten older, more mileage and less optioned. Meanwhile the prices are up. Sounds just like Airlines and hotels really!
    Hopefully that will hold for ATL, too. My highest mileage rental car ever was a ~50K mile Galant, many years ago. It was actually in decent shape. I remember having a Kia with 20K miles that had been abused and was kind of a mess.

I still find it amusing that loaded up rental cars are common in Europe, but not so much here, but the prices are often not that different.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    When I traveled heavy in the mid to late 2000s I don't think I ever had a rental from National that had over 20k. Lots of Impalas those days.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Those were great days because you get a real deal on one year old used cars. Then Detroit woke up!
    My lowest mileage rental was an Impala through Thrifty in ATL in 2011. It had 4 miles on it. When I got in the car, I thought the trip computer was set instead of the odometer. Nope, brand new.
    I had a few brand new ones over the years. One of the strangest was a Grand Caravan (hard loaded, too) in LA of all places. I wasn't happy about it, but I needed something for 5 with luggage space and that was all they had.

Drove a nice Town & Country Saturday and even with 43 plus on it, drove very nicely for what it is, a big box with many seats. Had the Hertz gps unit, power everything and XM, so I was a happy camper. This time of year, we have many vehicles in our area due to season starting tomorrow though most are rented right now. For some reason, rental reservations are really up and we're scrambling to find additional vehicles so we're traveling a bit farther to pick up additional units. Fine by me as I miss the long drives I used to do with my previous employers. Better all the way around to be a Hertz employee but sometimes I long to go back and drive around the state a few days a week. Hopefully by March 2017, that speeding ticket will be past the 3 year mark where it won't count against my driving record. I've been a good boy since 2014 and extremely cognizant about how fast I am going and if a vehicle is equipped with a digital speedo, I always have it on to pace myself. This practice is working so far as no citations or even warnings. Sometimes when it's a nice day and the sunroof open and the tunes blasting, I forget to look at my speed and that's when I get into trouble!

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    What do you have to do to get a speeding ticket in Florida? When we were there everyone was driving 80 at least!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have to go 90 like they do in Atlanta.

Which begs the question of what you have to do in Atlanta....
    suydam said:

What do you have to do to get a speeding ticket in Florida? When we were there everyone was driving 80 at least!

All it takes typically is being at the wrong place at the wrong time (that time of the month). Usually takes going 15 over, along with good weather and sunshine.

Anyone ever been pulled over while it was raining or snowing? Nope? Doubt it!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Typically when it is raining or snowing you slow down a bit. So, that could explain it as well.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    That's every third H3, where I live. Wasn't sure they came in any other color.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    tjc78 said:

Typically when it is raining or snowing you slow down a bit. So, that could explain it as well.

Ah, but then there's the "driving too fast for conditions" infraction.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    I've never known anyone who received a moving violation for "driving too fast for conditions". I know it's possible, I've just never seen it, or heard directly from anyone on the receiving end.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    I hit some heavy fog a long time ago on a long drive up I5 in CA. Never felt safer from a speeding ticket with visibility so low! Of course, it was never more dangerous to speed either. If everyone does everything right it'll all be OK. When some goof-off decides to park it in one of the travel lanes that's when you hear about those yearly 40+ car pileups.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    andres3 said:

I hit some heavy fog a long time ago on a long drive up I5 in CA. Never felt safer from a speeding ticket with visibility so low! Of course, it was never more dangerous to speed either. If everyone does everything right it'll all be OK. When some goof-off decides to park it in one of the travel lanes that's when you hear about those yearly 40+ car pileups.

"Tule" fog can be deadly, that's for sure.

And, speed differential is probably the largest contributing factor to those multi-car pileups you hear about in bad weather.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2016
    kyfdx said:

That's every third H3, where I live. Wasn't sure they came in any other color.
    Some people love 'em. They used to rent the H2s as I recall.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    suydam said:

Have out-of-state plates.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

suydam said:

Have out-of-state plates.

Or, a rental car barcode on your window.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Or possibly local plates and a high end car.

Today I saw a pair of identical grey/beige Altimas parked in front of a hotel, rentals. I don't know if anything says "rental" more today than a base model Altima, it's as loud as an Impala Limited, but at least a handful don't sell to fleets.
    Oh, I just saw a bunch of Hyunkia's in the rental garage last week; sedans, crossovers and vans. If you just want something comfortable to tool around while on travel, the Altima is alright really. Now for your sojourn, I'd expect you will be looking for something more interesting Fin :D
    Thinking of Hyunkia, Genesis has been in many fleets too, and Cadenza/Credenza from time to time as well. I know National had the K9 for awhile, but I think that event has passed. For the time and distance I will be driving, yes, I want something more than the lowest price rental fodder.

Sandman, call up Hertz ATL and tell them to have a fancy fleet during the middle of next week :)

On the road today, a rental Explorer ignoring pedestrians crossing a driveway, and what I am pretty sure was a rental 300 that looked like a higher option car.
    If you end up premium with a 300, better be a Hemi!
    There's been inflation in rental car categories. In Murica, "Premium" will likely get you a new style Impala (if you are lucky, LTZ, but LT probably more common), maybe a Taurus, at one time Azera or Cadenza, etc. At Hertz anyway, I have read even the Lacrosse has been bumped to "luxury", along with 300, maybe Avalon, etc - cars that were once "Premium". I rented "Luxury", as I am using points.

In Europe, "Premium" is usually 4cyl E/5er etc, "Luxury" is a 6cyl variant.
    We picked up 3 Mercedes today...a CLA, a C and an E and drove them back to our office. We also had 7 Tahoes/Suburbans ready to rent. Finally with season here, we're getting rentable vehicles in. Yay!!

New style E or 2010-16 E?
    Saw another rental CTS in the workplace parking garage, same spec as the other - 3.6, pano, HUD. Nice.

I'll have my ATL rental tomorrow afternoon, anxious to see what I get, or what I talk my way into.