Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Getting the Right Keys, Week 3 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Chrysler
imageGetting the Right Keys, Week 3 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

This marks the third week of trying to get the right keys to the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica we purchased. We received working key fobs but a new problem also surfaced.

Read the full story here

Comments

• iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    This is insane! I'm sure you're not the only new Pacifica buyer to go through this. If it were my car, I'd insist on getting non-Keysense marked keys for the normal keys. You shouldn't have anything less than what came from the factory.

Ultimately you need someone at the dealership to own this problem, take the van, and not give it back until everything is 100% correct and tested.
  • miata52miata52 Member Posts: 114
    Moe? As in 3 Stooges Moe? It's all beginning to make sense.
  • 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    If this is the 3rd week then does that mean California's lemon law kicks in?
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501
    I don't think any state's "Lemon Laws" apply to disorganization and incompetent dealer support. It's not a problem with the vehicle, per se, but with the service they've been receiving. Although it IS an FCA product and I'd expect the trim to start falling off at any moment. The problem is, there's no money in this for the dealership. They already got paid. So now, it's just a PITA to deal with. So its at the very bottom of their "to do" list. Besides, as we all know, it's an FCA product. Service Support isn't their strong suit.
  • dm7279dm7279 Member Posts: 63
    This is why I am afraid of any FCA product.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    I think you can qualify as an FCA tech if you have a pulse.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    While this is entertaining to read, why have you not spoken to the GM of the dealership yet? These people are completely incompetent. Put the boss on the job and quit messing around already.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Oh, I bet our intrepid writer Cameron longs for the days of yore when a key could be cut at the local hardware store.
    Sabotaged by technology & inept dealership personnel.
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38
    reminder said:

Oh, I bet our intrepid writer Cameron longs for the days of yore when a key could be cut at the local hardware store.
    Sabotaged by technology & inept dealership personnel.

I'm 99% sure I have spare keys to my long-gone 1994 Corolla lying around my house somewhere....
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I agree, either quit mucking about and call the GM already, or else play the Edmunds card and direct them to this blog. I'll bet the problem will miraculously go away after that...
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited September 2016
    believe it or not i had fairly good jeep service for the couple of years i owned a grand cherokee. now, the dealer wanted a crazy price to install a tow package so i took it to another jeep dealer who gave a better price... that turned into a fiasco with multiple trips but it eventually got done and for the price quoted; which was service write later admitted was too low. $150 vs the $400 the original dealer wanted (labor only, i had bought all the parts).
  • slyons89slyons89 Member Posts: 11
    I was almost considering suggesting the Pacifica as an option for my expecting in-laws... This makes me remember why I always choose to stay far, far away from FCA products and dealers...

Their ineptitude is garnering more bad faith then they realize. Sad.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I'm far from a fan of FCA products but in this case it's the dealer's fault not the company. Also, isn't there a maximum number of keys that can be programmed to the vehicle? They're at 5 will the van accept any more keys?
  • daryleasondaryleason Member Posts: 501

I'm far from a fan of FCA products but in this case it's the dealer's fault not the company. Also, isn't there a maximum number of keys that can be programmed to the vehicle? They're at 5 will the van accept any more keys?

Ford has that as well on their keys. With my 2013 F-150, it says in the owners manual that you can't program more than a maximum of five keys. HOWEVER, there's a caveat to that. If the DEALER hooks up their "Oh my god, we charge a lot for this" computer to it, they can wipe the keys from the ECU (or whatever $50 dollar component it is) memory banks and "reset" the key count. I had to do that with my F-150 when I bought it from my company used. We only had one key. The other key was missing. I had also installed the remote start capability, but needed to activate the software. With one key, I couldn't program any new keys. Plus, I couldn't activate the Remote Start programming. So I bought keys off the internet for $45 a piece (as opposed to the dealer price of $100 for the "normal" keyfob or $150 for the remote start ones), had them cut at Wal-Mart, then took them to a dealer to program and activate.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671

I think you can qualify as an FCA tech if you have a pulse.

It's "had" not have.

;)