Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

What would it take for YOU to drive an EV?

jetsurgnjetsurgn Member Posts: 4
edited November 2016 in General
Anyone know what the residual and MF is on a Soul EV +
SoCal
36 month 12,000 mile lease.

Thanks so much!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    jetsurgn said:

Anyone know what the residual and MF is on a Soul EV +
    SoCal
    36 month 12,000 mile lease.

Thanks so much!

Sorry, but we didn't get any Soul EV information for September.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jetsurgnjetsurgn Member Posts: 4
    Oh no worries, thanks anyways. I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive ev, and not sure when to pull the trigger. Will the introduction of the Chevy Bolt cause all the rest of the ev's to drop in lease deals? Or are the current deals the cheapest as they will ever be.

I was very interested in the BMW i3 but the new 2017 made the prices jump. So then I looked at the Leaf and the Soul ev as alternatives and there are some good deals to be had.
    Thanks you for the great job with the forums, I've been stalking for a long time now.
  • jetsurgnjetsurgn Member Posts: 4
    nothing but crickets in here.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    jetsurgn said:

Oh no worries, thanks anyways. I'm looking for a somewhat inexpensive ev, and not sure when to pull the trigger. Will the introduction of the Chevy Bolt cause all the rest of the ev's to drop in lease deals? Or are the current deals the cheapest as they will ever be.

I was very interested in the BMW i3 but the new 2017 made the prices jump. So then I looked at the Leaf and the Soul ev as alternatives and there are some good deals to be had.
    Thanks you for the great job with the forums, I've been stalking for a long time now.

I'm not sure you can put "inexpensive" and "EV" in the same sentence, LOL.

I think the Bolt is raising the stakes in the EV marketplace - certainly has to be cause for concern for Tesla and the Model 3.

And, other EV's are moving to the next generation of batteries, which up the range.

I think I'll change the name of the forum to be a more generic discussion of EV's - I know there are some regular posters who currently lease or have leased an EV in the past. Would be good to get their opinions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    For the new title:

500 mile range, charge in under an hour, normal styling, not dependent on ridiculous tax breaks, same price as a conventional car.

Not holding my breath B)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Kenn Sparks, a spokesman for BMW, declined to directly address Tesla’s data. “The numbers do show that electric cars are progressing and continuing to gain in popularity,” Sparks said in an email. “That’s ultimately good for us all.”

When it comes to big premium cars, the automaker says BMW, Mercedes, and Audi aren’t even close. (Bloomberg)
    I'd be OK with 300 miles on the range, but the recharge time is a killer. When you can get the same 300 miles from a petrol station in less than 10 minutes, the wait for a charge will be a deal breaker for 99% of folks.

I think we'll get to parity on pricing, without tax breaks, at some point. May be 5+ years, though, as the technology continues to evolve.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2016
    Maybe longer than that. Elon Musk has to colonize Mars first. :p
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707

Maybe longer than that. Elon Musk has to colonize Mars first. :p

Hey, you're onto something! That's why he wants to merge, too! One stop shop for Mars transportation - solar panels+battery storage+EVs=ideal Mars transportation network!
    Musk---what a character. Brilliant, a visionary, a showman, possibly a con man?? All of the above at once?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    edited October 2016
    Tesla says nobody comes close? Say it aint so. There's a fanboy cult there just like apple products. So undeserving of the ridiculous tax breaks.

Also hard to call the "leather covered 2x4" experience of a Model S a "luxury" car in the same realm of an S-class.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    What would it take? In a word, practicality. That combo of range and recharging time that currently (ooo... got a charge out of that accidental pun) won't work as a primary vehicle for myself or the wife.
    Using an EV as a primary vehicle would be difficult for most people unless perhaps you confined your use to dense urban environments. It would take a lot of patience and planning to use them for a long commute. Even if you could make it to work and back with no sweat, then you might not have enough juice to go out for the evening or run errands.

Using an EV as a primary vehicle would be difficult for most people unless perhaps you confined your use to dense urban environments. It would take a lot of patience and planning to use them for a long commute. Even if you could make it to work and back with no sweat, then you might not have enough juice to go out for the evening or run errands.

Which is why I think a pure EV wouldn't work for a majority of folks. Cars like the Volt and i3, however, make more sense as the on-board ICE can extend your range to something equivalent to a pure gas/diesel engine.

That, or update the road structure with inductive elements to charge while you're driving. Can't imagine the cost for something like that, however.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

That i3 is deceiving - the (optional) range extender only has a 1.6 gallon gas tank, so it's not like the Volt. Once the engine starts, you should start looking for a charging station...
    texases said:

That i3 is deceiving - the (optional) range extender only has a 1.6 gallon gas tank, so it's not like the Volt. Once the engine starts, you should start looking for a charging station...

Ah, same premise, but certainly not the same overall range.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

If I owned a Tesla I would develop this mindset when I start out in the morning: "I have a full 9 gallon gas tank but 99% of the gas stations are closed except the one at my house". That way I'll never get stuck anywhere.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'd call the region I live in semi-rural. I'd wager that our temperature/weather would not be conducive to getting max range out of an EV, so we'd have to be very selective about when we'd use an EV. It's not unusual for us to make a day trip where we rack up 150 to 300 miles. I can't see doing that in a practical way with an EV at this point
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You need a charging structural system people can count on. It wasn't practical for me until I moved to an area of the country that has one. Longer range and shorter charging times are the key pieces to set in place. For now the combination of electric plus gas engine in the Volt is the way to go. Charge at home and don't worry about it on the road.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere