Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mostly "One-Pedal" Driving Figured Out. But Is It Worth It?

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2016 in Chevrolet
imageMostly

Combing the Low driving mode with the regen paddle can help improve the 2016 Chevrolet Volt's efficiency. But whether it's worth it is another matter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mfennellmfennell Member Posts: 91
    Back when you guys had an '11 Volt, Dan Edmunds felt that the advantage of driving in "L", at least in heavy traffic, was that deceleration - and associated regen - started an instant sooner (as soon as you start lifting your foot) vs. lifting and moving your foot to the brake pedal. I never observed an improvement but I also don't drive in stop and go traffic.
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    2 time Volt ('12 and '15) and '14 ELR owner here.

The "D" vs "L" debate is non-stop on the Volt forums.

My own personal experience is that I can't see how "L" is more efficient in regular driving. I drive mostly city streets with zero bumper to bumper traffic. I know when a light will turn red and lift my foot from the accelerator pedal to start to gradually coast up to the light. I can do this from 2-3 tenths of a mile away. With single pedal driving, you have to lift your foot a bit, but the car still gets a throttle input, thus spending electrons. A full lift engages regenerative braking, thus slowing you more.

In heavy traffic, I agree with Dan Edmunds assessment that "L" slows the car sooner. I too, use "L" in those conditions.

My ELR had the paddles, and I enjoyed using them. It was like a game to try and execute a near stop using only the paddles. It annoyed passengers (usually my wife) but was endlessly entertaining. The ELR also had Adaptive Cruise Control, which was awesome in heavy traffic, as I could set it at a speed and the car would slow and accelerate as traffic moved along. If stopped, I'd have to reset the system by merely pushing on the accelerator.

I'm seriously considering a Bolt (need to sit in one first) and I'm happy to hear that it will offer regular "D" and single pedal "L". Due to where I live, I suspect I'll be using "D" mostly.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • justoneopinionjustoneopinion Member Posts: 21
    I drive my Volt in "L" most of the time because, off the throttle, the strong regenerative braking feels like the engine braking in my previous manual-transmission cars. I love it -- regen braking is the icing on the electric drive cake.