Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletin 16-053 for CVT---Accord & CR-V 2015-2016

unclebeanunclebean Member Posts: 5
edited September 2016 in Honda
Honda issued Technical Service Bulleting 16-053 on August 3, 2016. It applies to 2015-16 Accord (L4 with CVT) and 2015-16 CR-V (ALL with CVT).

Background: "An incorrect learning value in the PCM may cause a pressure problem in the CVT under certain driving conditions, causing a surge in RPM because the CVT belt slips at highway speeds and eventually setting DTC P1890 (CVT speed control system)."

Customer Notification: "Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible. Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold."

Corrective Action: "Do the inspection and depending on if DTC P1890 is set or not, update the PGM-FI software or replace the transmission and update the PGM-FI software."

In other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission. If they do not find an error code, then they need to update the software.

I have not gotten any letter from American Honda yet, but I called them and gave them the VIN of my 2016 CR-V. They told me I was affected by this TSB. I brought my vehicle to Honda service this past Saturday, and they did the update. I did not need any letter for them to do the update.

Even if you're not getting a surge in the RPM at the moment, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to go in and get the update anyway. I am attaching a .PDF of the bulletin.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Thanks for posting that for us. I added some details to the header so that more Honda owners would see it.
  • unclebeanunclebean Member Posts: 5

Thanks for posting that for us. I added some details to the header so that more Honda owners would see it.

Thank you.

• nicheelnicheel Member Posts: 6
    I was thinking about buying a 2016 CR-V SE. Do I need to do anything before I buy?
    edited August 2016
    nicheel said:

I was thinking about buying a 2016 CR-V SE. Do I need to do anything before I buy?

After you pick out the specific vehicle you want to buy, take it for a test drive and make sure the check-engine light is NOT lit. As the Technical Service Bulletin states, an error code on the CVT will require the transmission to be replaced. If there is no error code, then you simply need the software update. I've been told that an error code on the CVT will cause the check-engine light to come on. I don't know if that's true or not, but several people have told me this.

My suggestion would be to tell the dealer that you're aware of a Technical Service Bulletin (#16-053) for the CVT, and you want it taken care of. Honda is notifying owners of the TSB, but my understanding is you don't need to wait for a letter in order to get the update. (I had the update done without having the letter.) The dealer may or may not be able to do the update when you buy the vehicle, but if not, that's OK, unless you're concerned about whether or not there is an error code that would require the CVT to be replaced. Also, there is a possibility that the dealer already applied the software update to the vehicle, but I'm willing to bet that isn't the case.

For what it's worth, the dealer who updated my vehicle told me that he already had lots of vehicles come in for the TSB, and not a single one had the error code and needed a replacement transmission; every one of them only needed a software update. So that's encouraging.

In any event, I wouldn't hesitate buying the vehicle you want. You do have the option of telling the dealer that you won't sign the papers until they check for an error code and do the software update. That's up to you. But then be prepared for having to wait for however long it will take to get your vehicle into the service department; hours, days, who knows. The update itself doesn't take long. The real trick is just getting it into the service department. Personally, I would sign the papers, take the vehicle, and just make an appointment to have the update done, if they can't do it right then and there. Just keep in mind the remote possibility that they would have to replace the transmission. But my guess is that's a longshot.

• juryan1juryan1 Member Posts: 4
    I am picking up my new 2016 CR-V SE tomorrow so I called the dealer and told them I wanted to make sure that the TSB had been addressed. The salesman keeps telling me that he spoke with the service manager and that my vehicle is not affected, but I have not received proof of that. It seems like all of them are affected until the software update occurs. Am I being irrational in demanding that the dealer install the update prior to me purchasing and driving it off the lot?
    edited August 2016
    juryan1 said:

I am picking up my new 2016 CR-V SE tomorrow so I called the dealer and told them I wanted to make sure that the TSB had been addressed. The salesman keeps telling me that he spoke with the service manager and that my vehicle is not affected, but I have not received proof of that. It seems like all of them are affected until the software update occurs. Am I being irrational in demanding that the dealer install the update prior to me purchasing and driving it off the lot?

I'm not sure if all are affected. To be sure, you can call American Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and give them your VIN. That's what I did, and I've read on another forum that that's what other people did as well. So go ahead and take the vehicle even if the dealer is saying they won't do the update. Then you can call Honda. Or for more peace of mind, you can call the dealer before picking up the vehicle, ask them to give you the VIN of the vehicle, and call Honda. Then you'll know if the dealer is right or wrong before you go there. By the way, when you call Honda, remember, this is a TSB, not a recall. I say that because if I remember correctly, when I called Honda and navigated through the phone menus, there was an option for recalls. I don't think I chose that option. But I don't remember for sure. Hey, maybe the recall option will work too.

• cannell3cannell3 Member Posts: 45
    My '16 received the update week before last when i took it in for its second oil change. They just realized that i needed it when I checked in for the servce. SWEET!
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    unclebean said:

Honda issued Technical Service Bulleting 16-053 on August 3, 2016. It applies to 2015-16 Accord (L4 with CVT) and 2015-16 CR-V (ALL with CVT).

Background: "An incorrect learning value in the PCM may cause a pressure problem in the CVT under certain driving conditions, causing a surge in RPM because the CVT belt slips at highway speeds and eventually setting DTC P1890 (CVT speed control system)."

Customer Notification: "Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to make sure the vehicle is shown as eligible. Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold."

Corrective Action: "Do the inspection and depending on if DTC P1890 is set or not, update the PGM-FI software or replace the transmission and update the PGM-FI software."

In other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission. If they do not find an error code, then they need to update the software.

I have not gotten any letter from American Honda yet, but I called them and gave them the VIN of my 2016 CR-V. They told me I was affected by this TSB. I brought my vehicle to Honda service this past Saturday, and they did the update. I did not need any letter for them to do the update.

Even if you're not getting a surge in the RPM at the moment, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to go in and get the update anyway. I am attaching a .PDF of the bulletin.

So, I'm going to consider a car that has a TSB which may require a new transmission??!! Honda's move to a CVT in 2015 looks like a total disaster to me. Hope they figure it out. I think I'll look at other brands.
  • osbornk1947osbornk1947 Member Posts: 9
    toledo73 said:

unclebean said:

So, I'm going to consider a car that has a TSB which may require a new transmission??!! Honda's move to a CVT in 2015 looks like a total disaster to me. Hope they figure it out. I think I'll look at other brands.
    Honda didn't move to a CVT in 2015. This engine and transmission has been in the Accord since 2013 and they have had CVTs in Fits and Hybrids for years. It has not been a problem, especially when compared to Nissan, Subaru and others. Correcting a bad software program does not discourage. Also, I have not seen where anyone had to have a transmission replaced.
  • samsung2016samsung2016 Member Posts: 6
    I have been struggling with this decision to buy any car with the CVT, I really like the CRV, even test drove other cars with automatics, but the CRV felt most comfortable. I found a certified used CRV 2012, 21,000 thousand miles, very good condition, anybody problems with that model year.

toledo73 said:

unclebean said:

Honda didn't move to a CVT in 2015. This engine and transmission has been in the Accord since 2013 and they have haIn other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission. d CVTs in Fits and Hybrids for years. It has not been a problem, especially when compared to Nissan, Subaru and others. Correcting a bad software program does not discourage. Also, I have not seen where anyone had to have a transmission replaced.
    The OP said "In other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission." I am very aware about CVT in Accord. The CVT is new for the 2015 and later CRV. The 2015 vibration issue has been very problematic. And now this issue in the 2016.

I have been struggling with this decision to buy any car with the CVT, I really like the CRV, even test drove other cars with automatics, but the CRV felt most comfortable. I found a certified used CRV 2012, 21,000 thousand miles, very good condition, anybody problems with that model year.

I had a 2014. Regret trading it now. Freeway speed vibration was an issue, though
  • osbornk1947osbornk1947 Member Posts: 9
    toledo73 said:

toledo73 said:

unclebean said:

Honda didn't move to a CVT in 2015. This engine and transmission has been in the Accord since 2013 and they have haIn other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission. d CVTs in Fits and Hybrids for years. It has not been a problem, especially when compared to Nissan, Subaru and others. Correcting a bad software program does not discourage. Also, I have not seen where anyone had to have a transmission replaced.
    The OP said "In other words, if your dealer service department finds an error code, they need to replace the transmission." I am very aware about CVT in Accord. The CVT is new for the 2015 and later CRV. The 2015 vibration issue has been very problematic. And now this issue in the 2016.
    Based on 17 new cars over many years, a simple software update that takes a few minutes is the most minor thing I have ever encountered. Other makes sometimes go about it differently. Rather than issue a correction, they simply increase the warranty. Nissan increased the warranty of cars shortly after they started using CVTs, Kia has extended the warranty for possible engine failures where debris may have been left that can destroy bearings and for possible deterioration of suspension part due to corrosion. I like Honda's approach better.

• rhody401rhody401 Member Posts: 28
    From what Ive read on another forum, they started applying the fix to cars manufactured after April. (people who have called in with May or newer cars are being told their vin does need the s/w update) So its likely that your new car does NOT need this small s/w fix. Both of mine DO need it, since they were made Sep 2015 and i'll bring them in next week.