Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How To Make Sense of Your Car's VIN

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2017 in Editorial
imageHow To Make Sense of Your Car's VIN

Making Sense of Your VIN article on Edmunds.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• dave276972dave276972 Member Posts: 1
    This has fascinated me for 20 years. Feel free to call me a car geek. I wear the badge with honor.
  • gloriagilleygloriagilley Member Posts: 0
    Do you have illistrated views of things I need to know about a 01 Dodge Grand Caravan?
  • phil114phil114 Member Posts: 1
    Older cars "DO" have have vin #s of less then 17 digets. I believe my 1969 dodge has 14 digets. How do you make this work with the less numbers?
  • johnr69johnr69 Member Posts: 1
    Vehicles did not always have 17 digits in the VIN, I have a 1975 full size Chevy Blazer 4X4 I checked the VIN on the truck and the pink slip and it only has 13 digits and because if this I can't find anything about my truck, to be honest I sold the truck and the buyer never paid the balance, I still have the Pink Slip, I never signed a bill of sale, or a release of liability, yet he managed to sell it and I want to know how he did it because I want him in jail, California DMV could not tell me how he did it. But they let it go through.
  • danelsondanelson Member Posts: 1
    be nice to know what each digit 4 - 8 means about model of car. i have a saturn ion, don't know if it is a 1 or 2
  • jcrandall619jcrandall619 Member Posts: 2
    I have a partial VIN that starts with XR67R2. The rest I can't make out. Can someone tell me what make or model this car is?
  • jcrandall619jcrandall619 Member Posts: 2
    I have a partial VIN that starts with XR67R2. The rest I can't make out. Can someone tell me what make or model this car is?
  • warnoldlwarnoldl Member Posts: 1
    Any way to get the actual date of roll off instead of the sequence number (last six digits)?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,152
    warnoldl said:

Any way to get the actual date of roll off instead of the sequence number (last six digits)?

I don't know if you can get it from the VIN, but the month/year of manufacture is on the plate inside the driver's door jamb.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bobmanfrebobmanfre Member Posts: 2
    Is there a matching VIN on the engine block?
  • bobmanfrebobmanfre Member Posts: 2
    What I mean by that is - is there a number on the engine block that matches the number on the dashboard?
  • symbiotic_minxsymbiotic_minx Member Posts: 1
    For old 13 digit VIN's from 1950-1980 try this site: Vinwiz.com. I am not sure about all cars but my 1995-1997 Maximas have the full VIN stamped onto the heads and block.