Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Help buying used. Between RAV4, CX-5, Edge, CR-V

joemullermanjoemullerman Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Mazda
My girlfriend is buying a used vehicle from a dealership and has it narrowed down. I have only ever had Jeeps and Chevy's, so I can't attest to any of these. Can anyone give some input on these? She spends most of her drive on the interstate. She's driven these (except the Edge) and loves them all. Thanks for any help!

1. 2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
- 20k miles
- $25000
- 2.5 L engine
- 1 owner, local
- owner painted rims and it's peeling. would try to negotiate price with this. Isn't a huge problem as I'll either repaint them or peel them.
- Carfax is clean with 2 simple service records.
- Been on lot 2 months and 10 days, so they may want it gone soon. May make price negotiable?

2. 2016 Toyota Rav4 XLE
- 20k miles
- $23,131
- 2.5 L engine
- 1 owner, was a rental car
- Carfax is clean with 2 simple services
- Been on lot 2 months today - might be negotiable?

3. 2014 Ford Edge SEL
- 37k miles
- $21,000
- 3.5 L engine
- 1 owner, local.
- Clean carfax, (7 oil and filter change w/ tire check, 1 new windshield)
- Was very clean, but she didn't like color. May have had hint of smoke smell.
- Been on lot 4 months, recent price drop.

4. 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L
- 62k miles
- $17,452
- 2.4 L engine
- 1 owner, local.
- Clean carfax - regular inspection/service done at local Honda dealership. Is overall pretty clean.
- Been on lot a month.
- Older than other cars I listed, but is also a lot cheaper.

Thanks again for any advice! She really likes the Mazda and the Rav4, but the Edge and CR-V are a little cheaper, which is nice. She would have a USAA 72 month loan with $3k-$4k down, but would try to pay off earlier. Most of these options put her above her payment goal of $250 a month, but she says it may be worth to her if she's getting a good car at a good price.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232

My girlfriend is buying a used vehicle from a dealership and has it narrowed down. I have only ever had Jeeps and Chevy's, so I can't attest to any of these. Can anyone give some input on these? She spends most of her drive on the interstate. She's driven these (except the Edge) and loves them all. Thanks for any help!

1. 2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
    - 20k miles
    - $25000
    - 2.5 L engine
    - 1 owner, local
    - owner painted rims and it's peeling. would try to negotiate price with this. Isn't a huge problem as I'll either repaint them or peel them.
    - Carfax is clean with 2 simple service records.
    - Been on lot 2 months and 10 days, so they may want it gone soon. May make price negotiable?

2. 2016 Toyota Rav4 XLE
    - 20k miles
    - $23,131
    - 2.5 L engine
    - 1 owner, was a rental car
    - Carfax is clean with 2 simple services
    - Been on lot 2 months today - might be negotiable?

3. 2014 Ford Edge SEL
    - 37k miles
    - $21,000
    - 3.5 L engine
    - 1 owner, local.
    - Clean carfax, (7 oil and filter change w/ tire check, 1 new windshield)
    - Was very clean, but she didn't like color. May have had hint of smoke smell.
    - Been on lot 4 months, recent price drop.

4. 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L
    - 62k miles
    - $17,452
    - 2.4 L engine
    - 1 owner, local.
    - Clean carfax - regular inspection/service done at local Honda dealership. Is overall pretty clean.
    - Been on lot a month.
    - Older than other cars I listed, but is also a lot cheaper.

Thanks again for any advice! She really likes the Mazda and the Rav4, but the Edge and CR-V are a little cheaper, which is nice. She would have a USAA 72 month loan with $3k-$4k down, but would try to pay off earlier. Most of these options put her above her payment goal of $250 a month, but she says it may be worth to her if she's getting a good car at a good price.

A couple of questions to help out the experts who are bound to show up:

1. How many miles a year does she drive?
    2. Where do you live?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can appraise them here and get the "book" values.

I'm kind of partial to the CX-5 on your list, probably because I liked it better on a test drive than the Honda. The Edge is a nice rig but if it's a smoker's car, the smell will probably never go away. Haven't driven it or the Toyota.
  • spidpooyspidpooy Member Posts: 182
    If you are going to get the used CX-5, keep in mind that you are paying $2000 interest in 72 month USAA loan for 25K. However, you can get into a brand new CX-5 GT with all packages for about 30K (with a little negotiation) with 0% financing for 60 month. That is just $3K more if you consider $2K interest that you want to pay for USAA interest.