Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    You must be confused about what VagCom can do.

The VagCom is SOOOOO much more than a "fault reader" as you suggest. The VagCom also allows you to tweak, adjust, set, configure and alter the settings which are not available to the mortal VW owner.

Everything from the idle speed to the how the door locks react is all tweakable.
  • walkaboutwalkabout Member Posts: 4
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Well fortunately the issue seems to have reset itself. I repeated the steps I thought I had done at the gas station with the key in the door lock etc. and it is operating normally now. Appreciate the tip though.
  • dome625dome625 Member Posts: 5
    I posted about faulty turn signals/hazard lights last year and someone gave me a good place to start looking, but I have not found the problem yet.

It was mentioned that a relay was the cause, can someone tell me which one and how to replace?
  • prooferproofer Member Posts: 6
    OK. I'm still trying to look into this problem in case I can fix it myself. When I slam the door shut, I don't hear the rattling at all. But when I put my hand on the door while riding in the back seat and traveling over bumps, it sure feels like the heavy rattling is coming from that door. Any ideas? Can anyone direct me to a link to take apart this back door panel?
  • flaflyboyflaflyboy Member Posts: 6
    Hey there.
    I think I might be having a similar issue as spinfit may be having. My '06 has the Check Engine Light and apparently the engine will not allow itself to rev up faster than 300 RPM's regardless of what gear it is in (standard tranny).
    I'm sure its gonna have to get plugged up to a reader, like a VagCom that bpeeples recommends.
    btw, I appreciated that thread to the VAG tool locator!
    I havent seen anyone else discuss this type of limiting of HP. Dunno if its just me or what. Darn cars are too smart for their own good.
    anyhoo. thanks!
  • flaflyboyflaflyboy Member Posts: 6
    oops! 3,000 rpms, I said
  • lazyteelazytee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 jetta 2.5l. How often or have many miles should I go between oil changes?
  • fpjdpfpjdp Member Posts: 10
    Ok I turn the key and nothing happens. I wiggle the key and sometimes it starts. I took the cover off the ignition and I see their is a cable that goes to ?????. When I pull the cable and turn the key the car starts (sometimes). Now it doesn't do anything. Where does the cable go to or what do you think the problem might be. I am still having tranny issues see message #47 in the transmission forum. Help, my kid goes to college next week and I need the car fixed. Thanks
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Owners manual (an interesting and useful thing to read :)) says 10,000 mi or 12 mo. for oil change interval. You must use oil that meets VW specs and all VW approved oils are synthetics.
  • chripstopherchripstopher Member Posts: 3
    Recently, my girlfriend and I have been having trouble with our 2002 Jetta's brakes. After driving for a little while the brake pedal will begin to press down on it's own as the brakes clamp down. Then, with a "ttssp" sound similar to that of steam leaking out of a tube/pipe, the brake pedal pops back out on its own. We have circumnavigated the problem by pulling out on the brake pedal with our left feet, but I am still concerned. What usually causes this problem? How can it be fixed? The dealership has already replaced the calipers... but they never recognized the problem either.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Power brake booster. Please hit the dealer with a rubber chicken and repeat "brake pedal falling?" "hissing sound?"
    just to clarify... the brake pedals aren't "failing". they are pressing down on their own and thus, clamping down on the wheel as we try to accelerate... the hissing sound comes when they release, do you still think the problem is with the power brake booster?
    Read that last append again.... it says FALLING not FAILING. A FALLING brake pedal is due to the internal workings of the brake booster allowing engine vacuum to "suck" the pedal down.

The problem you describe is classic "brake booster" problem. The brake booster is the device which puts the "power" into "power brakes"... it meters engine vacuum to reduce the amount of force you need to apply to the brake pedal.

When the brake booster starts to fail.... it "thinks" you are pressing the brake pedal and starts to apply the brakes for you.

Your dealership is either boneheads or shisters.... either way, the problem you describe is NOT in any way related to the calipers. Your dealership should be ashamed of themselves for making you pay for calipers which would obviously not help the problem.

A brake booster is not a new technology... the concept has been around for at least 30 years. How in the world can they tell you with a straight face that they dont know what the problem is?
    Power brakes? That's even 50 year old technology!

It's really lame that they couldn't diagnose this problem. Even if by some highly unusual circumstances it turned out NOT to be the brake booster, this is such a classic textbook symptom that I wouldn't fault them for replacing it anyway on a "good guess".

But it IS the brake booster :mad:
    Mr Shiftright -- Although the concept of "power brakes" may be older than 30 years.... some manufacturers (Ford and others) actually used the hydrolic pressure from the power-steering pump to provide the power to the power brakes.

The concept of using the engine vacuum became more widely used across various manufactures about 30 years ago. (I have the chiltons manuals from the 1960s and 1970s that show this)

Also notable... some manufactures had a crude version of AntiLockBrakes in the 1960s which used flyweights at the wheels. Pretty amazing they did this without any fancy electronics.
    Yes true but it was even common in 1950s cars....here's one from a '55 Chevy!

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=175

I never heard of those anti-lock brakes. Very interesting idea!

Maybe we should send these pictures to the VW dealer? :P
    awesome, thank you guys for the help. how do you suggest i go about asking the dealership to swallow the cost of the brake booster considering they've already done about $750 of work that we've fronted?
    Well that's tricky. Might require face to face negotiation and a mild threat. Seems to me that a mis-diagnosis is a grievance that could be settled in Small Claims Court. A judge might disagree. My argument is that they hang a sign out front that says, in effect, that they are VW experts. One would have to presume from this that they know what they are doing.

I think they should do it for free for you or at least free labor with you buying the part, if you wish to compromise generously.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    NEWS: Volkswagen recalls nearly 800,000 cars

Defective brake lights on Golf, GTI, Jetta, New Beetle and R32 are a potential safety hazard and should be replaced.

February 26, 2007 - Around 800,000 Volkswagen vehicles have been recalled Monday because of faulty brake lights, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.

The 790,000 vehicles include Jettas, New Beetles, Golfs, GTIs and R32s...all in the United States.

The specific years and models affected are:

1999-2005 Jetta sedans
    2001-2005 Jetta wagons
    1998-2007 New Beetle
    2003-2007 New Beetle Convertibles
    1999-2006 Golfs and GTIs
    2004 R32
    The malfunctioning brake lights and brake light switches could fail to come on or remain stuck on.

This recall expands on one announced by the carmaker last year, when 362,000 Jettas and New Beetles were recalled due to the same defective part.

Gees.
  • masteryoda69masteryoda69 Member Posts: 1
    My daughter has a 1994 Jetta with 124K. New
    Engine. It has started stalling now that the
    temps here are around 95+. Did not have a problem
    before temps got hot. If we let it sit for an
    hour or so, it starts right up and runs fine
    until it gets hot again. Had a trustworthy
    mechanic check it out and found nothing wrong
    with the fuel pump(s). My guess is vapor locking.
    Ideas?? Can I wrap the fuel lines to keep them
    cooler? Any ideas appreciated.
    old news.... (after all it is dated February 26, 2007) This is just an expansion of the 2006 recall for the same switch. (located near the brake pedal)

My daughters 2001 NewBeetle has been recalled both times to get new switch. My wifes Jetta only on the second recall and my other Daughters Gulf on the second recall also.

This is not really a big deal... if the switch fails, the brakelights will be stuck on and drain the battery overnight.

If you have not received a recall notice by now... you are either not going to get one or it is your own durn fault for not having registerd your VW with the factory when you bought a used one. (You should ALWAYS register a used car with the manufacturer so they can notify you of recalls.)
  • campoutcampout Member Posts: 22
    Hello to everyone on the list. I own an '03 Jetta Wagon with the 1.8L turbo and just the other day the MIL light came on, not blinkling just steady. The car only has 25k since it was purchased in 1/03 but my question is could there be an emissions problem or does it just have to be reset? And if reset, is there a switch in the engine bay or does it need OBD to check it? Any help would be appreciated, thanking in advance.

Paul
    By federal law, all emmissions-related problems must illuminate the MIL. Also, based on law, the MIL may flash or reset itself based on the OBDII specifications.

I would suggest you locate someone with a VAGCOM who would be happy to run diagnostics against your car. (search the internet for lists of VagCom owners in your area)

Another thing you could consider would be some auto-parts places such as "Autozone" will read the codes for you free of charge.
  • bongohoohoobongohoohoo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 wlfbrg jetta with same thing going on,did you find the problem yet? Mine likes to stall not only on the frwy but at stoplights,rush hour,any given time really or it might drive fine today. ??? Fun car when it runs.
  • joker55joker55 Member Posts: 49
    hey all

does anyone else have this problem and/or possible solutions for it?

While accelerating, with the windows down, i can hear this "tinny" noise coming from underneath the car, sounds like something metal is vibrating. it happens normally when i am accelerating between 20-30 miles and rpms are around 2500-3000, its really noticeable when going thorough tunnels, or along side a wall as i hear it echo

a friend told me it may be a possible transmission problem. i thought this to be true seeing as when i went from Park to drive and stepped on the gas, i would get a small lil jerk before i got going

so i had the transmission fluid changed,complete with new pan gasket and filter and still notice the noise, though the Park to drive problem is fine now, and shifts are very smooth, even when gunning it

what i am wondering is it possible that not enough fluid was put in during the fluid change i was told to go back in 2 weeks for an inspection to check for leaks.
    is it even a problem with my transmission?. is this normal VW noise (i've only owned the car a few months now)

if anyone can give me any thoughts and suggestions that would be great.

thanks

:confuse: :lemon: ?????
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    With the sound you describe at those RPM's, I'd suspect a loose heat shield is vibrating.
  • ccostableccostable Member Posts: 55
    I had the same kind of noise on my '97 that eventually turned into more of a rattle over time. The outer metal covering(I guess you could call it) on the "middle muffler" had loosened due to corrosion. I just ended up cutting it off. I would suspect something like that or a heat shield, as noted earlier, since it usually happens at certain speeds/rpms/vibration levels. Your fluid level was probably low, but I don't think the two were related. By the way, I also had the same slipping you did because I was two quarts low.
  • asifgrkhanasifgrkhan Member Posts: 13
    Is there a fuel additive available for the 2.0 L VW Engine. My Jetta has done about 72k and while I change oil regularly at 3k miles, i feel degradation in performance.
    If a fuel additive reduces some gunk build-up, it would be great.
    Any reputable gasoline additive should clean out the injection system.

Also, it is possible that your MAF has degraded over time and is contributing to your perceved performance reduction.

I also STRONGLY suggest you do not change engine oil every 3K miles. It is a waste of your time and $$ with no benifet to your engine. Only the folks that get PAIED to change your oil recommend a 3K mile OCI (Oil Change Interval)

In fact, it has been shown (using oil analysis) that MORE wear particals occour during the 1st 3,000 miles or so after an oilchange. After 3,000 miles, the oil tends to "clean up" by showing a sharp drop in wear particals.

There is no need to deviate from the owners-manual when it comes to OCI.
    hmmm very good to know, i know its not the heat shield on my cat thats wielded on there good, i never thought to check the "middle muffler" (i know now what your talking about)

what is the point of that cover/shield anyways? was it difficult to take off?

thanks again for your help
    It wasn't extremely difficult to take off. It was just more of a pain. If I had a torch and a lift it would have been real easy. For a while I used a piece of metal wire, like the kind you hang pictures with, and tied it around the muffler tight to keep it from vibrating. But eventually, one end where it is attached to the muffler completely rusted itself free.

I don't know that it is actually a cover, but more like an outer covering that is part of the muffler itself.

Good luck.
    i took a loook under the car today and looked at where the middle muffler is, and saw that there was a cover on top of the muffler, not attached to the muffler but instead fastened to the bottom of the car.

is this what you removed? it seems like metal but very thin, i can bend it a bit, but cant pull it off the screws which it is fastened to (i can see the screw tip and an odd looking washer on top of it there are a bunch of them) is this what u had to remove?

sorry for all the questions i just don't want to go ripping out something i really shouldn't, and i really wanna get rid of this noise, its driving me crazy!!! lol

thanks
    Do you have a 99.5/GenIV Jetta? I never had a cover like that. It sounds like it is similar to the shield over the cat. Can you remove the cover to get to the muffler?

In my case, if you can picture a cross section of a muffler(minus the baffles,etc) having two layers. The outer layer is what came loose. I will try and get real pics this weekend.

I know what you mean when you say it is annoying.
    yeah my jetta is a MKIV, the shield that i see is two pieces. the first piece starts just before the Cat and extends to where the resonator is (i think thats the "middle muffler" we've been talking about) that is where the first piece connects with the second piece and then the second piece extends over the resonator and back towards the end of the car.

the only thing i am concerned with is will there be enough clearance if i take that out to ventilate the heat from the exhaust/resonator?

thanks again
  • svargassvargas Member Posts: 5
    bpeebles: I know you have replied to my posts in the past which is why I'm going to ask you specifically about my car.

I have a 2001 1.8T Jetta. Today, my AC stopped working and then about four hours later I was driving and the same light that indicates the emergency brake is on came on along with a very annoying beep. The beep sounds alot like when the car is on and the door is open.

Earlier today, I foolishly idled with my AC on full blast for 45 minutes and my car almost overheated. Can the mistake of idling like that have caused my compressor to go out? and can I have done any electrical damage (i.e. the emergency brake light and beep)? Please let me know what you think. Thanks!
    i am almost certain that the sound is coming from the front end of the car.....
  • shawn19shawn19 Member Posts: 1
    is it runing hot? if so i would try to flush the colent system. some cars have a shut off at a certain temp.
    The brake lamp along with the alert-tone sure sounds a lot like the warning one gets when the emergancy-brake lever is not fully in the DOWN position while driving.

Try to re-create the lamp and sound by lifting the emergancy-brake lever a little while the vehicle is moving. I would bet money that you will get the same thing you had before.

The the German engineers added this alarm to Volkswagens to tell you if you had not fully released the emergancy-brakes and tried to drive.

As for your AC....have you allowd enough time for the vehicle to sit? An AC system can get "froze up" and no air will pass thru the evaperator. If the AC still does not work after sitting overnight, the next step might be to hook up some pressure guages to the AC system and see what is going on .
  • svargassvargas Member Posts: 5
    I tried to pull up the brake and let it down, but the brake is as far down as it will go.

My AC still does not work after sitting overnight. I had a family friend who knows a bit about cars look at it. He looked at the pressure and he said my pressue wasn't too low, but he couldn't get a 'charge' to start up my compressor...? So he thinks it may be my compressor that's the problem... which he said is really expensive :(
    I'm planning on taking it in first thing tomorrow morning. If you can think of anything else please let me know! Thank you so much!
  • shadowman756shadowman756 Member Posts: 1
    "SEA FOAM", SEA FOAM" SEA FOAM"!! Preventative maintenance.

Greetings, I own a 2001 Jetta VR6. Nice car...until...
    recently, the check engine and ECP? lights came on and the car went into "limp" mode (30 mph failsafe) on the freeway.
    We took it to the dealer and after diagnostics, they reported that it needed a Mass Airflow Sensor ($250.00), a water temp sensor ($15.00) and a (Gulp) a new throttle body assembly ($1200.00). Total estimate: $1700.00. (Yikes!) I'm way to cheap for that.
    So........
    I work in a vehicle service center, so I spoke to some of the mechanics in our shops. They said between the miles on the car (77k) and not always running premium fuel, the fuel system (throttle body, sensor, etc) were probably "gunked" up. So, they highly recommended SEA FOAM fuel / engine treatment.
    Results: No lights and the car runs great!
    So, my do it yourself approach was:
    I CAREFULLY cleaned the Mass air flow sensor with "CRC" Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner (go figure). Spray the cleaner on the element, but DONT TOUCH IT.
    I also sprayed an entire can of carburator cleaner into the throttle body. Make sure to open the butterfly throttle valve and spray the crap out of it.
    I also changed the air filter.
    Finally, I poured an entire can of SEA FOAM into a full tank of premium fuel.
    The car has been running great and it only cost me about $30.00 in additives, cleaners and a filter.
    SO, if this proceedure can resolve these issues and save me from a $1700.00 service bill, it only makes sense that SEA FOAM is a great periodic preventative additive. I plan on adding a can every 4 to 6 months.
    Good Luck. :)
    It is good to hear that you were able to get your vehicle back in shape. I too, have used SeaFoam on specific problems to clean things up.

As for your engine-temparture sensor... these are KNOWN to go bad on your model year. If yours is not GREEN in color... it would be wise to replace it. A faulty engine temp. sensor can fool the onboard computer into thinking the engine is never warmed up. This -in turn- will make your MPG go down due to excessive fuel being injected.

Each of my 2 daughers have 2001 VWs and BOTH of their (black in color) engine-temp. sensors went bad. I replaced with the newer GREEN one wich is only about $14 including O-ring.
  • asifgrkhanasifgrkhan Member Posts: 13
    i have faced the exact problem with my 2000 jetta.
    to add to what you have mentioned, this noise does not occur when the engine is cold. This noise starts after the car has been driven for about half a mile.
    The noise is similar to one of those 50 c.c. mopeds here in Hawaii.

I am planning to take it to the local Midas shop this weekend.
  • izzabethanneizzabethanne Member Posts: 1
    Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I just bought a 2002 Jetta with about 56k miles on it about 2 weeks ago. While im driving the car the radio backlight and the interior lights will flash on and off every oo.. minute or so.. also while the car is off the headlights will flash on and off maybe once every few hours. What could this possably be??
    Another thing is when i shift the car from park to drive the car jerks before it will drive.. also everynow and then when im driving on the highway and have to slow down alot then speed back up.. when it shifts to go faster again it jerks. could this be the transmission going? or do all jettas do this? Please Help :confuse:
    Thanks Liz
    I recently had that problem with my 1999 (going from park to drive) i had the transmission fluid changed, with new filter and new pan gasket, cost me about $200 Canadian. and i notice that shifts are alot smoother even when i am gunning it on the highway, and i dont get that jerk anymore, i still let it sit for a second before i hit the gas, just to make sure the gear is set in place (its old :-P)

don't believe what VW says, they say you never have to replace it (they say its a "Lifetime Fluid") LIES! get it changed and i am sure you'll notice a difference.
    the problem i have is whenever i am on the gas, its not a very loud noise, just enough to be noticable, i am going to have a muffler install later this week, i am most likely going to go to speedy or midas to have it done, i will get them to check my heat shield, some one told me that they had the exact same problem, and that they just took thier shield off, i just don't know if they took it off over the cat though, that doesnt seem like the greatest idea does it?
    With my 97, I only had a shield over the cat. The piece I took off was just sorta like the outer layer on the muffler/resonator. For a bad analogy, I was like taking the outer layer off an onion.
    I agree you should have you fluid level checked. Mine was slipping in first and sometimes second gear, only when it was cold. I brought it to VW, having just moved to a new area, and told them I thought it was low. They said whatever, you don't ever have to replace it. They proceeded to tell me that I needed a new throttle body, fuel injectors, and ECU. I left as quickly as possible. My wife happened to find an AAMCO where the owner had a Jetta. He checked it out, said it was low if fluid, added some, and then didn't charge me a dime. Problem solved.
  • lions6lions6 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 96 jetta gl I have been noticing when you let off the gas it starts whining while still in gear. This is a manual trany. Where do you check the gearbox fluid level and where do you fill it up? Is it the giant inverted nut behind the clutch cable?
  • svghnsvghn Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Just acquired this vehicle with a no start issue, initial testing showed electronic p/up inside dist.not tripping signal to fire secondary ignition, replaced dist, timing was set and road tested, vehicle ran for approx 10 min and quite,tested and found repeating problem,grounds circutes were tested, new ignition switch ,coil, digifant 2 computer and 3 other distr. only to have same problem. Where should we look. Can someone help it is getting costly.
  • keelandkeeland Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Jetta with about 80,000 miles and today I parked the car during lunch today and came out after work and it just won't start. There was no warning at all since it had started up twice that day with not problem at all. All electrical equipment works fine (lights come on, car clock is on, radio works) when I don't do anything, except for the keyless entry where the lock will barely get enough power to lock or unlock. However the automatic locks work fine when I press on them while in the car. I will turn the key to the first position and the entire electrical system will go dead (clock turns off and nothing works) with the exception for the air bag sign that will sometimes light up on the dashboard. If I turn the key to the crank position the entire dashboard will light up but will not crank and nothing will happen (Everything will light up and will sound like it should in the first position). Every time I turn the key the system resets itself (clock goes back to 0 and so does the mileage). If I try the horn that does not work either. I had a problem with an emissions test about 4 weeks that I didn't get resolved even though a technician spent 5 hours looking for the problem but otherwise have had no problems at all. The only thing that isn't factory is the CD player but that was installed 4 years ago. What should I do?