Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Sportback Etron or used Tesla?

smiles33smiles33 Member Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in Audi
I want to buy a car that qualifies for CA's Clean Air Vehicle stickers (aka the solo driver carpool lane sticker for electric or plug-in hybrid cars). We live 15 miles from my office (but it can take 1.5-2 hours in traffic). We also regularly spend weekends at a second home 120 miles away. I do not want a Chevy or Ford and the Nissan's range is too low for my needs. I want to be able to drive it to our second home without having to stop and refuel/recharge. Thus, I'm looking at a new Audi A3 or a used Tesla S. I want to buy within the next month, so I am not waiting until the Tesla 3 is ready.

My boss (who also has a long commute and wanted the Clean Air stickers) bought an Audi A3 sportback e-tron and loves it. I'm seriously considering it, but I also see that a used Tesla sedan is about $10-15K more. The Audi is a plug-in hybrid, but only has a 15 mile range when you're in all-electric mode. The Tesla has a 200 mile range and is all electric.

My initial reluctance to go for the Tesla is that it is flashier (although there are plenty in CA), it has limited storage room (e.g., I need to fit an 80 pound dog, 2 adults, 2 kids, and gear), and I'd be more nervous parking it in public lots. Yet its 200 mile electric range is very tempting. We have solar roof systems at both houses so plenty of electricity to charge it.

WWYD? What else should I be considering?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I think you need to consider a used Tesla's reliability, or lack therefore, vs. a new Audi with a full warranty.

Have you considered a Toyota Prius Prime? That's another $5K cheaper than the Audi and more room for cargo. Downside is that it is odd-looking and slower than the Audi by a far margin. Gets 25 miles on a charge, though. Word is that it handles and steers very well. It should best the Audi on gas mileage, too.

You might not want to dismiss the Volt. It handles well and gets an impressive 53 miles on a charge, nearly matches the Audi on HP and performance but not quite.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I sat in a couple of Volts last week and it'd be tight - the kids would be okay in the back unless they are older teens, but the dog would likely have to ride on the middle rear "seat". The specs are impressive on it though.
  • smiles33smiles33 Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for your insight, Mr_Shiftright. I assumed the certified used Teslas have a good warranty but haven't researched it.

I've driven a Honda Pilot for the past 12 years, but prior to that I had a VW Passat that I really loved. Sold it so we could get an SUV that can tow my husband's bass boat. We also have a second Pilot, which is newer, so he'll keep that for his boat and I'm ready for an upgrade.

At this stage in life, I'm looking for a car that is fun to drive. I don't want another Japanese car with its spongy handling or a clunky American car with reliability issues. My husband teases me but when it comes to cars, I'm a teenage boy in a middle-aged woman's body. I want a car that has a stiff ride and can steer into turns, which I suspect the Tesla and Audi both can (still need to test drive them).

If the consensus is that the Chevy Volt handles like an Audi/Tesla, I'll add it to the list.

• smiles33smiles33 Member Posts: 8
    Just thought I'd update that I bought a 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron. It's awesome! It's smaller than the Pilot (so the kids and dog aren't going to be as comfortable on long rides!), but it is much more fun to drive.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    smiles33 said:

Just thought I'd update that I bought a 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron. It's awesome! It's smaller than the Pilot (so the kids and dog aren't going to be as comfortable on long rides!), but it is much more fun to drive.

Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator