Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    speaking of accidents on newer cars. My son had some hit and run damage on his Jetta, and decided to get it fixed before his lease turn in inspection monday (I thought he should get their estimate first, but he did not want to). anyway, 1 or 2 day job, total cost $925 to fix some dents, a big crease, and some paintwork.

point of story, when he was getting it, he saw some sort of newer jeep, and asked about it because it looked like a mess. Guy said it had frame damage, and they were already up to $22K on the tab, and climbing. Yeah, good luck ever selling that mess (and another reason to lease certain cars!)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    stever said:

No recall I don't think, just an irritating touch screen for the radio (no knob), no lumbar in the seats and CR thinks the blind spot system is lacking. And the Sensing option isn't readily available on the lots yet.

Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic
    (autoblog.com)

I didn't have issues with the radio on the hatchback, although a knob would be nice.

Right. I had it confused with the Feb.2016 recall for engine failure and fires. Only involved 42,000 civics.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

speaking of the son, turns out that the gray A3 he wanted was unobtainable by his dealer (already had a deposit down at the other store). But, they found a cosmos blue one (same configuration) in transit to a different dealer in Jersey. after looking at pictures, he decided he actually liked the color much better (even though it is fairly close to the color on his Jetta). Actually stunning on that car. So, now his dealer is trying to snag and reroute that unit.

price of being picky I guess. If this one falls through, he will probably just have them order one to arrive in January.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Well, I emailed the dealer to inquire about the accident and ask why the condition report claims no prior bodywork.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    qbrozen said:

Well, I emailed the dealer to inquire about the accident and ask why the condition report claims no prior bodywork.

If it were only a bumper replacement, the repaint probably can't be detected with an Elco mil gauge, which may be the basis for the condition report.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,063

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited October 2016
    stickguy said:

point of story, when he was getting it, he saw some sort of newer jeep, and asked about it because it looked like a mess. Guy said it had frame damage, and they were already up to $22K on the tab, and climbing. Yeah, good luck ever selling that mess (and another reason to lease certain cars!)

Agreed. With damage that severe, I'd rather have the car written off. A lot of auto insurance carriers tend to dig their heels in and refuse to do the right thing. If you looked at the damage to the GLI I had, my insurance company and I would have both been better off had they simply totaled the car at the outset. Instead, I had to resell a car that was "damaged goods," and my own insurance company only recouped $3,000 and change from the at-fault driver's property damage liability coverage, after the at-fault driver's company paid my diminished value claim.

I had to fight both carriers to get reimbursed for the DV. FWIW, both insurance carriers were truly awful to deal with. I'd gladly pay a higher premium for better customer service.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Crud!!
    how flexible you think they'll be on price?
    http://www.porschemonmouth.com/detail-2008-porsche-cayenne-4dr_suv_turbo-used-15625238.html

I mean, it is WAY overpriced, and when you factor in the accident...hell, I think this is about a $23k vehicle.

Put the words "PORSCHE" & "TURBO" together with the 34K miles and you @qbrozen of all people should know they'll start out asking for the stars.
    $23K seems market correct, adding for miles but deducting for the rear-ender. Porsche prices are very sensitive to accident damage, much more so than most cars.
    Crud!!
    http://www.porschemonmouth.com/detail-2008-porsche-cayenne-4dr_suv_turbo-used-15625238.html

I mean, it is WAY overpriced, and when you factor in the accident...hell, I think this is about a $23k vehicle.
    Put the words "PORSCHE" & "TURBO" together with the 34K miles and you @qbrozen of all people should know they'll start out asking for the stars.
    $23K seems market correct, adding for miles but deducting for the rear-ender. Porsche prices are very sensitive to accident damage, much more so than most cars.
    Good to know I'm not nuts. Thanks for the confirmation, shifty. Any opinion on these, BTW? You know more about Porsches than I do. From some forum trolling, I get the impression they are pretty reliable other than some weak coolant tubes under the intake.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @Nycccarguy What kind of work do you do? My dad works in the Bronks for the Tranzit Athority. Better to have mor coverage on the inshorance that is for shore.
  • tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @28firefighter Thanks for keeping us all updated on your car. Shame the just wont swop cars with you from day one and be done with it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Crud!!

Good to know I'm not nuts. Thanks for the confirmation, shifty. Any opinion on these, BTW? You know more about Porsches than I do. From some forum trolling, I get the impression they are pretty reliable other than some weak coolant tubes under the intake.

I'm sure you know this already @qbrozen, but these 1st generation Cayennes are heavy vehicles. They eat through brakes & tires at quite a rapid pace. My customer who had one of this generation had to have the driveshaft replaced around 100K. He drove it to 190K and then traded it in for a CPO Cayenne diesel.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

@Nycccarguy What kind of work do you do? My dad works in the Bronks for the Tranzit Athority. Better to have mor coverage on the inshorance that is for shore.

I work for my family's 116 year old plumbing & heating supply business here in The Bronx. Our store is located on Boston Road near East 169th Street.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

nyccarguy said:
    Crud!!

I'm sure you know this already @qbrozen, but these 1st generation Cayennes are heavy vehicles. They eat through brakes & tires at quite a rapid pace. My customer who had one of this generation had to have the driveshaft replaced around 100K. He drove it to 190K and then traded it in for a CPO Cayenne diesel.
    Yeah, the porkiness would be fhe one thing to hold me back. Have yet to drive one. If it feels like the 2.5 tons it is, I likely won't be interested.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    nyccarguy said:

I work for my family's 116 year old plumbing & heating supply business here in The Bronx. Our store is located on Boston Road near East 169th Street.
    That is tremendous and a great accomplishment. Not many companies/families can claim that.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

q, with all the miles you do now, the EX sounds like a way better option. And probably nicer to DD.

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

qbrozen said:

Crud!!

Yeah, the porkiness would be fhe one thing to hold me back. Have yet to drive one. If it feels like the 2.5 tons it is, I likely won't be interested.

I also think the Turbos have an Air Suspension which might become an issue sooner rather than later. Shifty would know better than I would though.

sda said:

nyccarguy said:

That is tremendous and a great accomplishment. Not many companies/families can claim that.
    Thank-you. It is definitely NOT easy (I know, that's why they call it WORK). Like every other job, there are positives and negatives. I'm in the process of trying to bring us out of the stone ages. Working on purchasing a point of sale/inventory management system.

I really don't know too much about the Cayenne's various incarnations and/or problems, but if you are serious about the vehicle, I can sure find out right from the boys who fix them.

In general terms, the Cayenne Turbo in 2008 was a pretty complex car, with active air suspension, twin turbos, etc, so naturally 8 years down the road you want to take a very close look at these systems. A PPI would be mandatory in such a purchase.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I really want this. Yeah, I know it's a lot of money for what it is, but just not many around anymore.

CRX Si

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    That is A LOT of coin for an old Honda. I never really took the old CRX styling much, but since I was 2 when it came out, I'm guessing that I was not the target market. :p
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Not many unmolested ones around so can't be too picky. I always liked these. One of the car mags (I think automobile) did a collectible classics piece on these this month.

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    'Working on purchasing a point of sale/inventory management system.'
    - nyccarguy
    I have been implementing & running distribution computer systems for over 20 years now,
    so if you think I can help, send me a PM?
    - Ray
    Day job = I. T. Director
    2022 X3 M40i
    It is a lot of money for an example with high miles and cosmetic damage. You'd really have to want one to pay this kind of money. I can't find a price guide that puts it over $3500 or so.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    corvette said:

Dang, it was only two years old when it was wrecked. On vehicles that are several years old, I tend to consider recent accidents less of a negative than older ones--with a recent accident, if it were severe, it probably would've been totaled, since the vehicle isn't worth as much.

Not to mention, if you are replacing a bunch of 10 year old parts with brand new OEM parts, you might actually have a case of increased value, not diminished value.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

It is a lot of money for an example with high miles and cosmetic damage. You'd really have to want one to pay this kind of money. I can't find a price guide that puts it over $3500 or so.

Yeah, in the "collectible" piece @stickguy referred to (which I read last night and prompted the eBay search), the example they had was purchased for $3,500 a few years ago, but the article did point out that it could easily fetch $2-3k more based on its condition nowadays.

Clearly the $7,990 price includes a hefty premium for the buyer who just has to have one of these (and I suspect someone will pay it). My interest would go up at a price of $5-6k.

The ad itself speaks of some "normal" dings and dents, but are you seeing something more from the pics?

There's another example on eBay that only has 86k miles, but you'd never guess it from the pictures (rips in the drivers seat, noticeable dings and dents, etc.). I'd gladly take twice the miles if it was properly taken care of.

edited October 2016
    Another quick GTI update:
    The GTI is back with me this morning while VW figures out what they want to do. They put about 300 miles worth of test drives on the car and confirmed the car is getting substandard fuel economy. Interestingly, the MFI is reading relatively normal fuel economy, but calculating it by hand (properly) reveals a different story.

At the end of the 300 miles of driving, the regional quality manager determined that the MFI display is the reliable source and not the manual calculation. He further determined that fuel economy can vary across 50-100 mile test drives for a number of reasons and that if something were wrong, the fuel trim would be off.

Basically, the quality manager is taking the stance that their computer is more accurate than calculating fuel economy by hand, and that the test drives are not representative for calculating performance of fuel economy. Really? Then why did you instruct them to drive that much? And, isn't it always the technicians and dealers that say you can never rely on the MFI?

I have a call into the corporate rep. From my conversation with the dealer, it sounds like neither they nor corporate are satisfied that this situation is resolved.

That is A LOT of coin for an old Honda. I never really took the old CRX styling much, but since I was 2 when it came out, I'm guessing that I was not the target market. :p

:D I was a bit older than 2 at the time. In fact, I was graduating high school and got a 1990 Civic Si. I really wanted the CRX, but since my parents were kindly footing the bill (as a reward for the scholarship I got to school), I didn't protest too much.

So there's a lot of nostalgia there for me on this CRX. But I do realize that once I got in the driver's seat, the reality and limitations of a 26 year old car would likely set in.

The GTI is back with me this morning while VW figures out what they want to do. They put about 300 miles worth of test drives on the car and confirmed the car is getting substandard fuel economy. Interestingly, the MFI is reading relatively normal fuel economy, but calculating it by hand (properly) reveals a different story.

At the end of the 300 miles of driving, the regional quality manager determined that the MFI display is the reliable source and not the manual calculation. He further determined that fuel economy can vary across 50-100 mile test drives for a number of reasons and that if something were wrong, the fuel trim would be off.

Basically, the quality manager is taking the stance that their computer is more accurate than calculating fuel economy by hand, and that the test drives are not representative for calculating performance of fuel economy. Really? Then why did you instruct them to drive that much? And, isn't it always the technicians and dealers that say you can never rely on the MFI?

I have a call into the corporate rep. From my conversation with the dealer, it sounds like neither they nor corporate are satisfied that this situation is resolved.

Wow - that is frustrating. There's really no arguing with the "hand" calculation. It's just math. Unless the odometer is wrong and they actually drove 500 miles instead of 300. :)

edited October 2016
    breld said:

The ad itself speaks of some "normal" dings and dents, but are you seeing something more from the pics?

There's another example on eBay that only has 86k miles, but you'd never guess it from the pictures (rips in the drivers seat, noticeable dings and dents, etc.). I'd gladly take twice the miles if it was properly taken care of.
    No I didn't actually. I can see that it's had a very vigorous detailing, kind of lathered in armor-all or some such.

It's possible I'm not in the loop on this trend, but I'm not aware of any serious pressure in the market driving the price of this particular car upwards. My impression is that this car falls into the same realm as those old Mercedes 300 diesels. Yeah, they can bring decent money if they are super nice, but on the other hand, prices are pretty stable because everyone who wanted one, now pretty much has one.

I think the buyers for these modest Japanese "classic" cars are only willing to go so far--once it hits a certain ceiling, that's it. (notable exceptions---certain Supras, Toyota FJ40, NSX, '93 Mazda Twin Turbo, etc.

On the other hand, there are 79 "watchers" on the car, so there may be other brelds drooling over this.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

I really don't know too much about the Cayenne's various incarnations and/or problems, but if you are serious about the vehicle, I can sure find out right from the boys who fix them.

In general terms, the Cayenne Turbo in 2008 was a pretty complex car, with active air suspension, twin turbos, etc, so naturally 8 years down the road you want to take a very close look at these systems. A PPI would be mandatory in such a purchase.

I know it and the Touareg are related though I don't know how close they are on specific items. When I think of either, I recall a former co-worker who had the V-8 VW version. One day a headlight stopped working. Took it to his local garage, they replaced the bulb, no success. Took it to the dealer. According to him the wiring ran through the wheel wells and was exposed to whatever the tires kicked up. Needed a new harness, $2100 IIRC.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

breld said:

No I didn't, but my point was that for this kind of money the vehicle should be rather pristine. It's possible I'm not in the loop on this trend, but I'm not aware of any serious pressure in the market driving the price of this particular car upwards. I think the buyers for these cars are only willing to go so far--once it hits a certain ceiling, that's it.
    Aah - gotcha. Not that I'm too serious about actually buying it, but was curious if your sharper eye was seeing something.

It'll be interesting to see if it goes at the buy it now price. Lots of folks are watching it but apparently no one is pulling the trigger, so you're probably right on that "ceiling."

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I remember a buddy at Everett-Boeing in the late 80's told me his mid to late 80's Honda CRX was the funnest car he's ever driven. And he was one of those guys who LOVED car racing...James Dean kinda Boeing guy. Sadly, my buddy fell asleep in his pickup one night and was killed in a crash. He was only in his 20's!

I knew something was up when an older Boeing guy came up ta me with a real sullen look on his face to tell me what happened. I believe that young man had narcolepsy. Really deeply saddened me for a long, long time.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027

I missed seeing the cosmetic damage. This is clearly beyond the stage of mildly desirable 25 year old used car and into the category of well-preserved original emerging/future collectible. Too bad about the installation of the radio and sub. I find it curious that the current owner only used it for 6 months or so after doing several "upgrades" and now has it "out of her system". To me that is a bit of a red flag, as the auditors like to say.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    stickguy said:

Not many unmolested ones around so can't be too picky. I always liked these. One of the car mags (I think automobile) did a collectible classics piece on these this month.

It was Automobile.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Okay, for those much more in the know than myself on something like this, what's the skinny?

633csi

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    breld said:

Okay, for those much more in the know than myself on something like this, what's the skinny?

633csi

A great modern classic. The main issues are rust and trim pieces that may no longer be available. The drivetrain in bulletproof.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

@roadburner weren't you acquiring a lease? Did I miss your post about it?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Can't believe I forgot to post: Acquired a new Honda, about two weeks, ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

stickguy said:

Agreed. With damage that severe, I'd rather have the car written off. A lot of auto insurance carriers tend to dig their heels in and refuse to do the right thing. If you looked at the damage to the GLI I had, my insurance company and I would have both been better off had they simply totaled the car at the outset. Instead, I had to resell a car that was "damaged goods," and my own insurance company only recouped $3,000 and change from the at-fault driver's property damage liability coverage, after the at-fault driver's company paid my diminished value claim.

I had to fight both carriers to get reimbursed for the DV. FWIW, both insurance carriers were truly awful to deal with. I'd gladly pay a higher premium for better customer service.
    I said the exact same thing about paying a higher premium for better customer service. Then I called one of the very few auto insurance companies with highly rated customer service, and realized I wasn't willing to pay nearly double for honest insurance. I'll stay cheap, and be cheap, and keep the dishonest insurance. At least I know what I'm paying for ahead of time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Man, I feel for you. If I was the CEO of VW, I'd have that Regional Quality Manager served with two checks and a notice that his services are no longer needed at VW, today!

I'd then offer to give you a '17 in exchange for the '16.
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    kyfdx said:

Strange time of the year to be buying a lawnmower. Aren't you about due for a snow blower instead?

Of course, I'm still mowing here in Houston, Texas. Not as often as a month ago, but still mowing.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

Ugh! That's ridiculous!

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    @28firefighter That is terrible. How could he even make that argument? At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the car says. What matters is how many miles you can go on a gallon of gas. So frustrating...
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    It is absolutely asinine. I'll give the corporate rep some time to explain before I go completely crazy.
  • tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    @kyfdx I have a similar mower, just a few years older. It is the nicest mower I have ever owned. Everything about it is excellent. I was actually sad this summer when my teenage daughter started mowing the lawn...I really missed my time with my little Honda. :)
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3