Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    andres3 said:
    Not that I found, but in my area Home Depot sells some of the Honda mowers. I got mine at a discount because it was a leftover model from the previous year.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Love that 633. Seems like a good deal

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

andres3 said:
    Not that I found, but in my area Home Depot sells some of the Honda mowers. I got mine at a discount because it was a leftover model from the previous year.
    Around here, you can find good recent model Honda lawnmowers for about 50% of list price on Craigslist.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

@roadburner weren't you acquiring a lease? Did I miss your post about it?

Yes- tonight all will be revealed...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    RE: The Saga of the Problem GTI.
    My 2013 GTI had no mechanical issues in
    the 25,000-ish miles I drove it.
    I really sympathize with your pain & trouble -
    sorry to hear - and Good Luck with eventual resolution...
    - Ray
    Sometimes just lucky
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    kyfdx said:

I have a Toro with the blade clutch and really like it. It is getting old and has needed repair recently. CR rates Honda mowers as top notch so I think that's what I'll get next time. Give us a user report when you can. :)

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    breld said:

Okay, for those much more in the know than myself on something like this, what's the skinny?

633csi

Nice looking car, but not the best choice for the 6ers of that era, IMO. The 633 is prone to front suspension issues and is a pain to get wobble-free. Power isn't great either in U.S. spec. Didn't notice if the car is still running metric radials, but those are very $$$ replacements. Most folks swap out for new wheels and "standard" radial sizes.

A better choice would be the last years of the 635CSi, 1988-89. More power, nicer styling, higher compression.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited October 2016
    @kyfdx, That's a pretty fancy mower!

Did it come with a backup camera on it? If not, I think you should trade it in next year for the new model. I hear they're adding Apple's MowerPlay for 2017. And..... it even includes a VOLUME KNOB!!!!! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

This one..

Are mower prices negotiable?

Yes... but, not a lot. About $30 off that price at my local retailer.
    henryn said:

kyfdx said:

Strange time of the year to be buying a lawnmower. Aren't you about due for a snow blower instead?

Of course, I'm still mowing here in Houston, Texas. Not as often as a month ago, but still mowing.
    End of year sale,

@kyfdx I have a similar mower, just a few years older. It is the nicest mower I have ever owned. Everything about it is excellent. I was actually sad this summer when my teenage daughter started mowing the lawn...I really missed my time with my little Honda. :)

Traded in my previous Honda... which I purchased in 1991. So, I'm pretty sold on them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

sda said:

kyfdx said:

I have a Toro with the blade clutch and really like it. It is getting old and has needed repair recently. CR rates Honda mowers as top notch so I think that's what I'll get next time. Give us a user report when you can. :)
    Yeah.. the blade clutch (Honda calls it Roto-Stop) is a must, for me. Makes it much more convenient. Of course, you have to go $600+ in price to get that feature. My old mower didn't mulch, either, so the new one is nice, in that regard.

Funny thing. I paid over $800 for my last Honda in 1991. At that time, discharge chutes, bags, etc were all extras. All that is included, now. Paid $650 after $50 trade-in for my old mower, + tax.
    $692 OTD.. lol

I highly recommend Honda mowers. I've used this one twice. The controls are pretty much identical to the 1991 model, other than it now has a hydraulic transmission with 13 different speeds, and an automatic choke.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

xwesx said:

@kyfdx, That's a pretty fancy mower!

Did it come with a backup camera on it? If not, I think you should trade it in next year for the new model. I hear they're adding Apple's MowerPlay for 2017. And..... it even includes a VOLUME KNOB!!!!! :D

Overhead Cam, too!! ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We thought about buying a different house here last month. But it had grass in the yard. Talk about a deal killer.
    stever said:

We thought about buying a different house here last month. But it had grass in the yard. Talk about a deal killer.

I fixed that. Wife cuts the grass.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    @kyfdx -

Fun to get a brand new Honda. I'm sold on those myself, after years ago going from a very basic mower to a Honda. I have a matching Honda snowblower as well.

Well, had, I guess. With the new house having hardly any lawn of my own to mow, and barely a driveway, a good friend of mine got a really screaming deal on a Honda mower and snowblower.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

My mower, a troybilt that I bought this spring (old one died) is really old school compared to that. Yank start. Moves when I feel like pushing it, not before. Stops when I do. It does mulch, bag or discharge (I never use the bag, a useless feature). But only about $160 using my lowes CC discount. Plus I actually get exercise out of the process.

stickguy said:

My mower, a troybilt that I bought this spring (old one died) is really old school compared to that. Yank start. Moves when I feel like pushing it, not before. Stops when I do. It does mulch, bag or discharge (I never use the bag, a useless feature). But only about $160 using my lowes CC discount. Plus I actually get exercise out of the process.

My wife is old and weighs 115 lbs. Don't think she could push one up a hill.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    Interesting that I have received no response to my inquiry on the Turbo Cayenne.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Well, I emailed the dealer to inquire about the accident and ask why the condition report claims no prior bodywork.

If it were only a bumper replacement, the repaint probably can't be detected with an Elco mil gauge, which may be the basis for the condition report.
    Nah. I disagree. If your job is to write up a condition report, looking at the carfax should be part of it. If you didn't, you failed. BTW, it also reads "no known accidents."

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There's grass in New Mexico?
    edited October 2016

There's grass in New Mexico?

Are you kidding??

;b

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    28FF...that's nutz! I feel for you, buddy! Dealing with the car manufacturers when something goes wrong is no fun. I think it's time you let the Regional Rep know you plan on filing Lemon Law given you have a problem that they can not find a reliable fix for. A supreme hassle, but in my mind, they've left you no coice.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    My wife mentioned something about not being able to push it when I got the new one (though she is big enough to do it, and the yard is flat). In case I for some reason could not do it. I pointed out that the last time that happened (medical reason took me out of commission in August one year), she hustled the guy who did most of our neighbors to do our lawn too. Which is what I am sure she would do again.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    qbrozen said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Well, I emailed the dealer to inquire about the accident and ask why the condition report claims no prior bodywork.

If it were only a bumper replacement, the repaint probably can't be detected with an Elco mil gauge, which may be the basis for the condition report.
    Nah. I disagree. If your job is to write up a condition report, looking at the carfax should be part of it. If you didn't, you failed. BTW, it also reads "no known accidents."
    Hmmm... doesn't Carfax have a competitor named AutoCheck or something? What if they checked one but not the other. I think that would be excusable. Carfax didn't show the accident on my S4. Whether Carfax has a legitimate excuse or not I'll never know. Legitimate excuses could include the USPS lost my letter to the DMV or the DMV did what they do.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I have autocheck. Also shows on there. Besides, the carfax is provided on their site.

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333

28FF...that's nutz! I feel for you, buddy! Dealing with the car manufacturers when something goes wrong is no fun. I think it's time you let the Regional Rep know you plan on filing Lemon Law given you have a problem that they can not find a reliable fix for. A supreme hassle, but in my mind, they've left you no coice.

WA requires that I submit a formal written letter and give them 40 days to resolve it before I can hire an Attorney. I'm going to suggest I'm taking that first step if I don't have a clear resolution from VW within a week.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Wow. Got a reply email. It simply said "see the attached document" and it was a scan of the carfax. Really? I replied, "Thank you, but I already saw the Carfax on your website. My question was why the condition report claims no prior accidents or bodywork. I'd also like to know if any more details of the accident are known, such as what was replaced/repaired/repainted."

don't expect to hear back again Q. You are now branded as a trouble maker that is digging into the details, and knows they are wrong, so they will just ignore you and what for a dupe to wander by and purchase it.

Our main mower (for the lawn) has a Honda engine, but it is a Lowes special (Troybilt, maybe?). Just a push mower with high rear wheels, $260 out the door. It's a great little unit, and quiet! I've never liked the self-propelled units, which is about all you can get these days; they're such a pain to navigate on uneven terrain.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    qbrozen said:

Wow. Got a reply email. It simply said "see the attached document" and it was a scan of the carfax. Really? I replied, "Thank you, but I already saw the Carfax on your website. My question was why the condition report claims no prior accidents or bodywork. I'd also like to know if any more details of the accident are known, such as what was replaced/repaired/repainted."

Amazing! This dealership is looking better and better, isn't it?! Hahahahaha......
    qbrozen said:

Isn't this a Porsche dealer, too? I'd walk, not run, away.
    edited October 2016
    Yup, Porsche dealer.

ok, I will give her a bit of credit for the followup:

There is an automated system whenever we get cars in that is uploaded to the site. We start updating it when we get the car fax and autocheck.  So it is still a work in process. 

The pre-owned manager will work on getting the information regarding the accident in the morning when he gets in. 

Thank you so much.

And in a separate email:

There was an accident with the car and the rear bumper was replaced and repainted.

Would you like to schedule an appointment to come in to see and test drive it?

Hey Q, I know this one might be too high on the miles (though the price is right), but did you at all consider these? Seems like conceptually it could fit the bill.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2010-mazda-cx~7-awd_4dr_s_touring-used-15624427.html

The GTI wouldn't crank this afternoon. I am not amused. 

Go drive the German A3!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

On the bright side, I believe you have free roadside assistance and towing. Send VW another bill for a tow truck due to their ineptitude.
    I left it for a few minutes and then tried again and it went.  Came home instead of the dealer because I have a contractor coming but I am waiting to hear from my service guy. 
    stickguy said:
    Hey Q, I know this one might be too high on the miles (though the price is right), but did you at all consider these? Seems like conceptually it could fit the bill. http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2010-mazda-cx~7-awd_4dr_s_touring-used-15624427.html
    I drove one when shopping for the wife and was not impressed.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    kyfdx said:

Did you have to pay a doc fee?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I am sorry to admit it, but I laughed out loud when I read this. :(

Even worse, though, is that it wasn't a battery issue (from the sound of it?) if it started a few minutes later. This is turning into a veritable nightmare!

@qbrozen A good friend owns a CX9 (was considering trading in on a Q7 last I heard), and he was not impressed at all by the fuel usage of the vehicle. He said it was worse than his Ridgeline and only slightly better than his Tundra. For a car of that size, that's just sad.
    edited October 2016
    No it has nothing to do with the battery. It's related to the issue they supposedly fixed last week by replacing the shifter base. The car thinks the car isn't in park or neutral and therefore won't crank. 
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    I have the $150 Bolens special from Lowe's. I propel it myself. It occasionally belches smoke when it starts up. I need to sharpen the blade. I changed the oil once with Mobil 1 synthetic, which may be the only time it gets changed. :p

I would be furious. I'd settle for nothing less than a buyback at this point.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

edited October 2016
    Okay, here's my second punch of the year- a 2016 i3 REX. It's a Tera loaded with every available option. Mrs. RB loves it, and I like it a lot as well. It's seen here getting a full charge before the journey to its new home:

i3.jpg 392.9K

edited October 2016
    Nice! Punch registered, if I remember how... It's been over a month since anyone bought anything. I'm assuming the electrons flow freely at work.

When the i3 came out and I saw photos of it in orange, I told my dad BMW had cloned his orange Honda Element at twice the price! (I'm sure the driving dynamics and sound insulation of the BMW are much better than the Honda. Heck, the driving dynamics and sound insulation on a Nissan Versa are better than the Element...)
    is this a pure electric one, or does it have an engine too?

looks good in those colors.

edited October 2016
    stickguy said:

is this a pure electric one, or does it have an engine too?

REX = Range EXtender engine.
    thanks. was wondering what that meant.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

+1 on @roadburner's comment. That stinks dude!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Congrats, @roadburner!

Was this new or a BMW demo?

Congrats, @roadburner!

Was this new or a BMW demo?

It's not a demo; a friend of mine at the dealer leased it and then hurt his back and the seats no longer fit him well(he's on the tall side). I assumed his lease. I have 22 months and a bit over 19,000 miles left. It's a much better deal than I could have obtained because at the time of the lease I didn't have my 90 days in(to get a full discount) and I wasn't a current BMW Financial Services customer. He paid the $500 assumption charge and I reimbursed his upfronts: $1,900. $1,050 of that are MSDs which I will get back. The monthly payment is $105. I normally wouldn't lease but that was just too good to pass up.