Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Ford Escape Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2017 in Ford
image2017 Ford Escape Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

We purchased the recently refreshed 2017 Ford Escape. Are the updates enough to give it an edge in the highly competitive crossover utility segment?

Read the full story here

Comments

• jpk112jpk112 Member Posts: 12
    I see theses Crossovers all over my town. I am looking forward to following this vehicle on your blog to see what it is all about.
  • sxty8stangsxty8stang Member Posts: 58
    Bummer you guys didn't get the option package with Sync Connect in it. The '17 Escape is the first Ford vehicle to have a modem embedded in it, allowing you to do remote start, lock/unlock, etc. via the FordPass smartphone app. Would have been good to get the feedback on that feature as it starts rolling out to other vehicles ('17 Fusion and F-150 have it too).
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    edited November 2016
    IDK, a $31k sticker on a CUV doesn't really strike me as "mid-level".
  • mittencuhmittencuh Member Posts: 50

IDK, a $31k sticker on a CUV doesn't really strike me as "mid-level".

Considering you can get a lot of these compact to midsized crossovers into the $40s these days, sadly the low $30s are pretty typical.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I'm glad you sprang for both the larger engine and AWD. With the 2.0 EB we'll see what real-world power and mileage it delivers. With the AWD we'll see what happens with camping trips and ski trips.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Yeah, I'll always be amazed at how quickly prices can jump up with options as $31k MSRP gets you into Explorer territory. Of course a fully loaded Explorer will set you back $60k, so...
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I've got a good bit of experience with these as a Ford salesman. With the 2.0, you want 4WD, in my opinion. Lots of power to the front wheels. 4WD smooths out the delivery.

Also-

"We were able to negotiate a price of $31,646 before subtracting a $2,000 purchase incentive. So our total cost for our Escape was $29,646 before tax and title."

In Illinois, where I sell, the $2,000 purchase incentive (rebate) is taxable. I don't know if all states are that way, but Illinois is. Just FYI.
  • clavemanclaveman Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2016

Bummer you guys didn't get the option package with Sync Connect in it. The '17 Escape is the first Ford vehicle to have a modem embedded in it, allowing you to do remote start, lock/unlock, etc. via the FordPass smartphone app. Would have been good to get the feedback on that feature as it starts rolling out to other vehicles ('17 Fusion and F-150 have it too).

Interesting. Will this have any impact on the "911" feature Ford has offered for the Escape? Last night a Ford salesman proudly showed me a Titanium Escape including the "exclusive 911 rescue" feature. Unlike OnStar (which has that dang subscription to provide the ability to call for help, (1) without a cell phone, and (2) literally anywhere (lower 48?), he said Ford's [superior] 911 system works "right off your cell phone" to call the help center at Ford 24/7.

I thought to myself -- uh why wouldn't I just call 911 on my own phone (since I have to use it anyway through the car). Phone battery down - I'm down. Camping in 85% of the surface area of America? No cell phone tower.

Maybe this "modem" can help?
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74
    I think Edmunds has died. I've been seeing the same stagnant articles and the $199 lease deals on the main page for a month now. We're forced to exclude this site from ad blockers, and it's very slow to load, even with my 125Mbps internet connection. Today is the most time I've spent on this site in months, and only because of writing this comment. I think my time visiting this site is coming to an end.
  • clavemanclaveman Member Posts: 6
    I got two immediate to a post on the order and buy thread. Do you have the link to an active Ford Escape forum?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Here is a list of Escape discussions:
    http://forums.edmunds.com/discussions/tagged/ford/escape

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• vbcodegamervbcodegamer Member Posts: 4
    January 2017: Excuse me, what is happening to Edmunds.com again? I've been reading since 2001. Edmunds is THE authority. We went through InsideLine, then we went through What's hot. What is happening to the front page now? Pay to advertise? Why is there no new content anymore? Did everyone quit? I hate to see the ranking of the site go down. Even more so I hate to see all the great talents go to waste ...
  • redgeminiparedgeminipa Member Posts: 74

January 2017: Excuse me, what is happening to Edmunds.com again? I've been reading since 2001. Edmunds is THE authority. We went through InsideLine, then we went through What's hot. What is happening to the front page now? Pay to advertise? Why is there no new content anymore? Did everyone quit? I hate to see the ranking of the site go down. Even more so I hate to see all the great talents go to waste ...

Same thing I said a month ago. I'm calling this website officially dead. It's been 2 months, and the only thing that's changed is the $199 lease deals.
  • vbcodegamervbcodegamer Member Posts: 4
    redgeminipa, Yes this is just sad, and seem like you and I are the only ones left to mourn its passing. I forgot to mention the long term reviews, the suspension walk-arounds, and seeing a diverse group of great auto journalists getting better at making video reviews. RIP Edmunds, you will be missed.
  • hwyhobohwyhobo Member Posts: 265
    In the last several years Edmunds has changed its site repeatedly, each time making it worse. Now, after the last change, it just looks like a random mind puke, no organization, no forethought, no architecture. It looks like adults have left the building and kids are learning website programming. RIP Edmunds.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi there - this area is intended for comments specifically related to the Escape long-term test. If you have comments about the website or editorial articles in general, the best way to get those to the attention of someone who will take notice is by emailing help@edmunds.com, or by clicking on the "help" link at the bottom of any Edmunds page. Your comments aren't likely to be noticed here.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews