Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• almondelm1almondelm1 Member Posts: 4
    I have received following quoted price on a 2016 CRV Touring in NJ
    Dealer Quote: $30225 (With destination charge)
    Tax rate 7%
    Tax , tire fee , doc fee , registration $2831.25
    OTD Price $33056.25

Is this good price , any further chance to negotiate ?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2016
    Hi @almondelm1. Invoice is $32,236 and the True Market Value average price paid for a Bridgewater zip is $31,877. That's for the AWD version and those numbers include the $900 destination.

So your quote is $2,000 below invoice.

7% tax is about $2,116, so I'd look a bit closer at the fees. I'm not up on the cost of the tire fee and registration but the fees overall seem a bit high. Otherwise you have a good selling price quote.
  • zman1212zman1212 Member Posts: 6
    Hi @stever . Thanks for the forum this is great.

Can you let me know what you think of this deal. I received a quote through Edmunds and went to the dealership who offered the same price (I would hope we I go to pull the trigger they can lower even though they said that's as low as they can go). Also planning on leasing if that matters.

2016 CR-V AWD EX

MSRP: $28,295 (includes destination fee)
    Sales Price: $25,019
    Tax: $731
    Bank Fee: $595

Also do you think it's worth waiting a little for better pricing? Not sure when the 2017 model is coming out. Thanks!
    edited October 2016
    Price is good - just priced one out for a friend in Ohio and her selling price was $500 higher.

I'm not up on leasing much - best paste the rest of your details over in the leasing discussion.

You'd think the 2017s would be out "any day now" but no one is saying. The problem with waiting is that your selection shrinks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    Lease incentives are just $150 more than purchase incentives, so the price should be similar.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Honda has rolled out the 2017 CR-V's. forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2016/10/13/2017-honda-cr-v-more-of-everything/#4e87a1643669

With that weight loss and the new powertrains, the CR-V should see a notable improvement in performance. The 2.4-liter direct-injected four-cylinder essentially carries over from last year with 184-horsepower and 180 lb.-ft. of torque for the base LX trim. The EX, EX-L and Touring get a higher output version of the 1.5-liter turbo four that debuted last year in the Civic. In the CR-V, the 1.5-liter will generate 190-hp and 179 lb.-ft. of torque. The big benefit of the turbocharged engine is that the peak torque is available everywhere between 2,000 and 5,000 rpm which should make for great driveability. As with most current Hondas, a CVT will be de rigueur on all 2017 CR-Vs.
    I would much rather have the 2017 with the turbocharged engines. The 2 key questions are:

1) how long will you have to wait?
    2) how much more will you have to pay when they are available?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Lets hope with this new CRV model Honda dealers don't set pricing like new Pilots getting full MSRP or 500 below that.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• spacefugitivespacefugitive Member Posts: 1
    I am shopping for a new 2016 CR-V EX-L (w/o nav) in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, zip 76039.

I have been quoted $25,695 (includes cargo tray, wheel nuts, guards) before TTL, with $27,469 OTD.

Is this a good deal?
    The 2017 Rav 4 outside of the 1 engine choice is a pretty solid contender in this class. Honda's new turbo might be the deciding factor with many buyers including myself. Lets see how the sales numbers stack up.

The 17, Rav 4 looks somewhat better than previous design. I still find the backend and light placement odd looking.

@spacefugitive, that's $2,000 below invoice (TMV for your zip is $27,051). There's a $100 ad fee buried in that invoice number but the accessories counter that.

Sounds good to me!

Word is that the 2017s will hit the dealers in December, so 2016 buyers who aren't picky about color or trim should see even better deals in another month or so.
    Do you know what time stever they hit :smile:

I heard Nov,2016 but nothing concrete.

edited October 2016
    brian125 said:

Do you know what time stever they hit :smile:

Yeah, and for $5 I'll fill you in. :D

I just heard December from a Detroit News story today, so yeah, your guess is as good as mine.
    Morning teaser for all you guys waiting on the 2017 CRV Turbo.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2017-honda-cr-v/preview/

• bestdad4usbestdad4us Member Posts: 8
    It's been almost 9 years since we bought our last car. We're interested in the CRV - LX (2WD) and live in the 27511 area. Any idea what a good price to target is? Thanks for any help.
    edited October 2016
    The True Market Value average price paid for an LX in Cary is about $600 under the invoice of $23,318 (that number includes the destination an a $115 ad fee).

This time of year, with the news about the 2017 hitting the airways yesterday, and with car sales plateauing or slipping, I'd aim for $2,000 below invoice and work my way up. Seems to be plenty of inventory around you although most are AWD.

NC dealers haven't been especially aggressive so don't be surprised if they let you walk out a time or two. And you may want to get quotes from 2 or 3 hours away.
  • bestdad4usbestdad4us Member Posts: 8
    stever said:

The True Market Value average price paid for an LX in Cary is about $600 under the invoice of $23,318 (that number includes the destination an a $115 ad fee).

This time of year, with the news about the 2017 hitting the airways yesterday, and with car sales plateauing or slipping, I'd aim for $2,000 below invoice and work my way up. Seems to be plenty of inventory around you although most are AWD.

NC dealers haven't been especially aggressive so don't be surprised if they let you walk out a time or two. And you may want to get quotes from 2 or 3 hours away.

Thanks for the quick reply! We're still comparing some other vehicles, but we're leaning toward the Honda and want to get a good idea of what we'd actually pay before we start the serious negotiating (which I really hate!). Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
    Prime time right now may be at the end of the month (as is typical). Maybe there will be some Halloween sales. But your choices will shrink daily.
  • speedchasespeedchase Member Posts: 27

I am shopping for a new 2016 CR-V EX-L (w/o nav) in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, zip 76039.

I have been quoted $25,695 (includes cargo tray, wheel nuts, guards) before TTL, with $27,469 OTD.

Is this a good deal?

I got a quote of $24,126 for 2016 CR-V LX OTD from a dealership in Lewisville. For about $2,400 more than LX, your quote seems to be reasonable to me. Check with Huggins Honda, they are very competitive as well.
  • cell66cell66 Member Posts: 4

Is this a good deal?

I got a quote of $24,126 for 2016 CR-V LX OTD from a dealership in Lewisville. For about $2,400 more than LX, your quote seems to be reasonable to me. Check with Huggins Honda, they are very competitive as well.
    The LX should be $21,000 before TTL (or $22,800 OTD) from Huggins Honda.
  • mc4nammc4nam Member Posts: 60
    brian125 said:

Morning teaser for all you guys waiting on the 2017 CRV Turbo.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2017-honda-cr-v/preview/

Since these will have just hit the market, will dealers discount the 2017's to at least invoice at end of November or end of December?
    edited October 2016
    mc4nam

At this point it's all a guessing game on how pricing goes with this new 17 model.

The CX-5's 2017 model is not out yet,
    17 Rav 4 is out with a 500 cash incentive .
    17 Subaru Forester is out with no incentives ,
    17 Ford Escape has up to 2500 in cash Incentives

I heard Nov is when these vehicles start hitting lots . . Stever posted he read a Dec start date. Honda dealers usually don't discount that much on newer models as they are coming in. (exception Accords )

The new Pilots and Civics' held on a few months at sticker to 1k below that.

edited October 2016
    Best time to try for the very best deal on this model will be End of Dec, last 2 days, last day (only)

I call it the.................................... Superbowl of all car buying

• mc4nammc4nam Member Posts: 60
    brian125 said:

Best time to try for the very best deal on this model will be End of Dec, last 2 days, last day (only)

I call it the.................................... Superbowl of all car buying

Thanks. I am at the will of VW at this point. I will need a vehicle as soon as they cut me a check for my Passat TDI. That buyback could be Nov. 1st or Jan 31st? I don't know. I may sack up and just buy a car the last day of the year either way and park Passat until buyback to take advantage of said SuperBowl!
  • ytseattleytseattle Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2016
    What is ideal starting price point for 2016 CRV EX-L AWD no nav in Washington State? (Seattle - Everett)
    I went in with $26000 (about 2k under invoice) got rejected right away...
  • frogpw16frogpw16 Member Posts: 2
    Very informative thread. I am shopping for a new 2016 CRV EX in DC area. The best quote I got is $26,700 OTD or about $ 24,900 before TTL. This is far more than I expected since 2017 is on the way. Is anyone buying the same trim recently willing to share the dealer's info or the quote? I found it pretty difficult to negotiate with them. TIA.
    edited October 2016
    ytseattle said:

What is ideal starting price point for 2016 CRV EX-L AWD no nav in Washington State? (Seattle - Everett)
    I went in with $26000 (about 2k under invoice) got rejected right away...

Sorry you got overlooked @ytseattle.

Invoice is $28,944, MSRP is $30,645 and the True Market Value average price paid for a downtown Seattle zip is $28,335.

Your $26k target is about $3,000 below invoice by my calculations. My numbers include the $900 destination so maybe that's the difference.

My guess is that $1,500 below invoice may be the best you can do in Seattle, what with it being such a prosperous area anyway.

If you are going in with a price, maybe you should switch gears now that we are close to the end of the month and ask for quotes. Then counter with $2k below invoice and work your way up.
    edited October 2016
    frogpw16 said:

Very informative thread. I am shopping for a new 2016 CRV EX in DC area. The best quote I got is $26,700 OTD or about $ 24,900 before TTL. This is far more than I expected since 2017 is on the way. Is anyone buying the same trim recently willing to share the dealer's info or the quote? I found it pretty difficult to negotiate with them. TIA.

Welcome @frogpw16 - you've read in here that you are in a good competitive market in NOVA.

Since invoice with destination is $26,526 for the AWD EX, your quote is about $1,600 below invoice. We've seen plenty of quotes closer to $2,000 below invoice (TMV is $25,040).

Not sure why your quote is just "average". I see almost 500 EX's in stock in DC.

Same advice - wait until this weekend, blast out some quote requests and then try to play the best two or three off against the other dealers.

Any other DC shoppers lurking?
  • frogpw16frogpw16 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    stever said:

frogpw16 said:

Welcome @frogpw16 - you've read in here that you are in a good competitive market in NOVA.

Since invoice with destination is $26,526 for the AWD EX, your quote is about $1,600 below invoice. We've seen plenty of quotes closer to $2,000 below invoice (TMV is $25,040).

Not sure why your quote is just "average". I see almost 500 EX's in stock in DC.

Same advice - wait until this weekend, blast out some quote requests and then try to play the best two or three off against the other dealers.

Any other DC shoppers lurking?
    Thank you Stever. You've been really helpful. Apparently I did a bad job on negotiations. I am setting my target to knock off another 1,000 since it is close to the end of month and CRV 2017 is coming soon. I guess other buyer's quote will help a lot.

Thanks again.
    It is kind of tough - the dealers do this every day and we consumers can go years between our buying expeditions.

Good luck!
  • calermcalerm Member Posts: 7
    Hi stever:
    your knowledge on car buying has been extremely helpful and this post has provided so much valuable information. I wanted to ask if my current deal is one worth accepting. I have an OTD price of $22362 (TTL) for 2016 LX FWD in VA. Do you think its a reasonable offer. Thanks again for all you do!
    Hi @calerm, thanks for the kind words. You must be replacing your 2009 LX. Or your Civic - you've been popping in here for quite a few years. :)

Invoice with destination is $23,203 and TMV is $21,647 for the DC area.

I'm guessing that your selling price is around $20,500 so that's well below TMV and $2,700 below invoice. Sounds very good to me - enjoy!
  • calermcalerm Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the quick response. Actually helping the MIL with her purchase. Thanks for the green light on the deal. Once again, the service and wisdom you provide is invaluable. You make car buying actually fun!
    edited October 2016
    lol, we went car shopping this morning and I'm driving my wife crazy. Maybe I'll enlist you to buy something for us. :D
  • simpsonsfan40simpsonsfan40 Member Posts: 2
    @stever Thank you so much for all the information you've provided in this thread. It has made CR-V shopping a pleasure :smile:

Just wanted to check whether you think this quote in the Sacramento area is a good deal with it being the end of the cycle for 2016 and the end of the month.

It's a 2016 Honda CR-V EX for $25,439 OTD including the Protection Package (wheel locks, splash guards, cargo tray).

Thanks in advance!
    edited October 2016
    Thanks @simpsonsfan40 - it's fun spending other people's money (which relates to driving my wife crazy too, since we're about 5 years overdue for a new car cause I'm too cheap to spend mine. B) )

TMV for both the FWD and AWD flavors of the EX is running about $1,100 to $1,200 below invoice. Since TMV is an average, then look at your selling price ($23,500?) and compare that to invoice at this link (or change the style to AWD and compare).

I figure the wheel locks and tray stuff are worth about a $100 bump-up on the selling price.
  • simpsonsfan40simpsonsfan40 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah I figured the $399 price for the protection package was a rip off but it was lowest quote anyway. Got it down to $22,350 selling price plus fees totaling $25,100 OTD (damn California sales tax!). It's a FWD EX trim and my first choice for the color. 
    Wowser, that's like $3,000 below invoice. The only profit the dealer made was on the pro pack. :) You done good.
  • jennnissanjennnissan Member Posts: 8
    Hey I've posted on here before and am hunting down the best deal possible on a 2016 CRV-SE AWD. My first offer was $25,775.19 OTD. My second offer from another dealer was $25,261.44. My third offer from another dealer was $25,161.44 OTD. My last offer came from the second dealership at $24,970.31 OTD. Everyone says this is there bottom line price until I ask another dealer. It is so frustrating. What is the lowest someone has gotten an SE for in Mass, VT, or NY (I live on the border of all three states)? The dealer said 2017 are coming in January and I am willing to wait if their will be a huge price drop on 2016. Thoughts on waiting?
    edited October 2016
    At least your quotes are going in the right direction. :)

I like waiting (but I've been waiting for years now, which gets a bit old as your car gets old). I've heard December for the 2017 arrivals and some people have heard next month. January is possible but seems a bit late. Who knows.... Ditto on big price drops - we've seen some deals for $3,000 under invoice, but as the 2017s get close, inventory shrinks on last year's model and lots of dealers think that makes their old stock worth more.

Anyone shopping in Mass/VT/NY?
  • sanpot1sanpot1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Stever,

2016 CRV AWD EXL , i was provided with the quote below.

zipcode - 61615
    $28,717.00 for an in stock 2016 CR-V AWD EX-L with Navigation, the purchase details would be as follows:
    Purchase Details
    Retail Price: $32,245.00
    Sales Price: $28,717.00
    Savings: $3,528.00
    Accessories:* $159.00
    Government Fees: $221.00
    Proc/Doc Fees: $168.00
    Total Taxes: $1,816.81
    Total Sales Price: $31,081.81
    Trade Allowance: $0.00
    Trade Payoff: $0.00
    Trade Equity: $0.00
    Rebate: $0.00
    Cash Down: $0.00
    Amount Financed: $31,081.81
    *Honda Accessory Splash Guards
    Larry Cook

Is this a good price, i see quotes around $29000 Out of Door for this model.
    what is my negotiation room in this quote.
    Can you please help.

edited October 2016
    Hi @sanpot1,

Your quote looks good to me. The True Market Value average price paid for your zip is about $100 below the invoice of $30, 223 (including the $900 destination).

So your quote is about $2,000 below invoice before the taxes and fees. Kind of a smaller market so your dealers may not be as aggressive as others. And this is the first of the month (any minute now...) and dealers are less worried about quotas, so they may bargain harder late in November (or their may be some bird day sales for Thanksgiving).

I dunno, sales are slowing a bit across the board, but the CR-V is still going gangbusters and while someone is always going to get a better deal somewhere (or so it seems), that quote looks good to me. Guess you could take the doc fee and the $159 for the mud flaps, double that amount ($227) and make your counteroffer $500 less.

If you aren't in a hurry, let the dealer stew a couple of days before you counter and maybe mention that your spouse/son/daughter/boss told you to check out a CX-5....

If you need a car "today", you're doing much better than average so it's easy to justify buying and enjoying "today".
  • al4oneal4one Member Posts: 1
    2016 Honda CRV EXL w/Navi 2WD $26,358.51
    Sub Total $26,358.51
    Sales Tax $1,647.411
    Inventory Tax $49.87
    Government Fees $195.25
    Documentation Fee $163.00
    TOTAL $28,414.04

Is this a good deal in the Houston area?
    edited November 2016
    Hi @al4one.

I think that inventory tax is a junk fee - well, it's a tax on the dealer. Consumers shouldn't have to pay it (Consumerist).

Since the dealer is pulling this crap, best ask what the "government fees" are too. Can't wait to see how they treat you in the service department.

Now that that's out of my system, let's cut to the chase. :)

Invoice is $29,157 and the True Market Value average price paid for Houston is almost exactly the same ($29,130). There's a $150 ad fee in there that you shouldn't have to pay, but that's a different rant of mine.

So a selling price of $26,358 is killer, almost $3,000 below invoice. What a great dealer. :D

FWIW, TMV in Dallas is about $500 less than invoice. That jives with our usual Texas reports, although Houston prices have gotten a lot better.

Bottom line? Good deal and all those junk fees are just the dealer profit. Dealers have to eat too so profit is fine, but I'd rather see them just add that to their selling price in the first place instead of playing games.

Apologies for the sidebars - enjoy the new ride!

@stever Thanks Stever for your comments, will post you the update once i follow up with the dealer.
    @stever i got a quote from a different honda dealer and below are the quotes for Honda CRV. Elmhurst Honda dealer in Elmhurst IL

EX-L NAVI AWD

sale price $27,695
    doc fee $169.27
    electronic filing fee $25
    tax $2,015
    new plates $196

out the door total $30,100.27

TOURING AWD

sale price $29,732
    doc fee $169.27
    electronic filing fee $25
    tax $2,158
    new plates $196

out the door total $32,280.27

What is your opinion on the quotes and do you have any room for negotiation.

The EX-L Navi's selling price is ~$2,600 below invoice; the Touring's selling price is ~$2,500 below invoice.

Those look like awfully good quotes to me but I'm easy and would have been happy with your last quote. And now you've beat that handily. I'm still kind of shaking my head at @al4one's great numbers.

Whatever you guys are doing is working great, so just go with your gut at this point.

And go Cubs. :)
  • lisaninjalisaninja Member Posts: 1
    This forum has been helpful. Here's the deal we got.

EX AWD
    $23998 included destination and the dealers $399 protection package (wheel locks, cargo tray and mud flaps. We couldn't get dealer to budge on that.

We added roof rails and crossbars to be installed for $928

Total OTD with tax/license/fees (doc fee $80) was $27,433 in Northern California

*Dealer was willing to take $1200 if we wanted an EX FWD
    Great, congrats!
  • hondafanboyhondafanboy Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I live in Houston and got a quote for 2016 CRV- EX for $23102 + ttl. Is this a good deal?

I guess Houston is a hot area for the CRV