Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 clearance price

pctopcool1pctopcool1 Member Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in Honda
Hi there, I'm looking at 2016 crv, and wondering what kind of deal I can expect during end of generation, year, and holiday sale. The best quote I got after a day of e-mail exchange is 15% off msrp. Is there any further room of negotiation? I'm hoping to get a steal at this time of the year. Thanks 

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2016
    Hi @pctopcool1, welcome.

MSRP with destination for an EX is $26,895.

15% off MSRP would be $4,000. Or $22,895.

TMV for a random zip (MD) is $24,000 (invoice is $25,309 with destination).

Since TMV is an average, some people are buying for around $23,000. That's $2,300 below invoice.

Your quote is $2,414 below invoice.

Occasionally in the DC area and parts of California, we've seen deals of $2,500 to $3,000 off invoice (don't recall which trims). $1,500 to $2,000 off invoice is more typical in most parts of the US.

You can use this link to drill down to the style/trim you are shopping and play with the numbers that way. I think you have some more room - the issue is supply, but if you are flexible on trim or color, then that's okay.

• pctopcool1pctopcool1 Member Posts: 3
    stever said:

Hi @pctopcool1, welcome.

MSRP with destination for an EX is $26,895.

15% off MSRP would be $4,000. Or $22,895.

TMV for a random zip (MD) is $24,000 (invoice is $25,309 with destination).

Since TMV is an average, some people are buying for around $23,000. That's $2,300 below invoice.

Your quote is $2,414 below invoice.

Occasionally in the DC area and parts of California, we've seen deals of $2,500 to $3,000 off invoice (don't recall which trims). $1,500 to $2,000 off invoice is more typical in most parts of the US.

You can use this link to drill down to the style/trim you are shopping and play with the numbers that way. I think you have some more room - the issue is supply, but if you are flexible on trim or color, then that's okay.

Thanks a lot Stever!

Sorry, I forgot to put the exact number. The quote I got was:
    EX AWD
    MSRP: $28,295
    Invoice: $26,877
    Sale Price: $24,095 + TTL

I guess it was an OK price considering it only took me few emails, and other dealers' quotes are just a couple hundreds more. Just wondering what's the best strategy to get a better deal. I'm flexible with colors and even trims, and can wait. Seems most local dealers still have 50-100 2016 CR-V's in stock, and no one have the 2017 model yet.

- Should I wait until their stock is almost empty or just try to negotiate price now?
    - Are thanksgiving or Christmas good time for buying?
    - How do I know if the dealer has a better deal running (like black Friday special)? Should I ask or they will contact me?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for your help!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    End of the month and end of the year are good buying times (quotas are usually monthly). Holidays are good too and some dealers do Black Friday specials.

For some reason, maybe just my imagination, once the new models hit the lots, the salespeople start focusing on moving those (better commissions maybe?). Seems like we don't see all that many end of year killer deals like you'd expect, at least not on Hondas.

I think the best way to get the best deal is to keep bugging the dealer. Lots of salespeople get distracted by walk-in traffic and don't do the best follow-up. Some are just, ahem, lazy.

Looks for posts by @brian125 too - he's got thousands of them but he has some great negotiating suggestions.
  • pctopcool1pctopcool1 Member Posts: 3
    Great info! Thanks again Stever!