Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How much are you paying for the new 2016 CX-9

mustang24fanmustang24fan Member Posts: 51
edited June 2016 in Mazda
So I was at two dealerships yesterday. First one supposedly has the largest inventory in Southern California (don't they all claim that), and he had one Signature Line left on his lot. Supposedly sold 3 Sports earlier in the week and the guy told me that he had two people in a bidding war over it.
He will sell at sicker, but not below. I was not allowed to test drive the Signature Line (they won't let people test drive the Sig Line. Crazy.
So what have you guys been paying for yours?
I have never bought any car above invoice in the last 15 years, and I bought about 20 (helped a lot of friends), but I have a feeling now that it is time for a new car for my wife I won't be able to pull this off on this one. At least not now.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2016
    Hm, we show 50 CX9s in inventory within 50 miles of 90210. Eight of those are Signatures.

Keeping track of dealer inventory is a bit of a black art, but your dealer may not be puffing too much about the supply. It's a bit rude not to have a Signature tester though.

We're showing the Signature and Sport FWD both going for MSRP when you look at True Market Value. Didn't check the other trims, but I bet every one is that way.

So your dealer is right in line with us there too.

Car sales have peaked - can you wait until the end of the month? If inventory picks up a little, a few dealers may want to move some CX-9s to make quota.

But it's new and getting good reviews (we call it "one of our top­ ranked three­ row SUVs"), so it may be a while for the deals to come around.

Any new owners lurking?
  • Options
    mtran70mtran70 Member Posts: 7
    edited June 2016
    I am also here in So Cal. My local dealership wanted to sell all the CX-9 at their MSRP - $500 incentive. They said all models sell fast but I see the same inventory on their website and other dealerships in town. Buying car at or near MSRP? No thanks! If you can wait a little longer, there will be more "incentive" come out.
  • Options
    woolooloowoolooloo Member Posts: 44
    I test drove one Saturday. Their inventory showed a Signature available, but it had sold as soon as it came off the truck. So I do not think the inventory systems are up-to-date on these. There were a lot of people in the dealership looking at these, it was the first of the 3 row SUVs I've been testing that I had to wait for a salesperson to be available. I want a Signature but they do not have any, they were supposed to get back to me today with when they would have another coming in, but haven't. I'm guessing they are getting plenty of interest and do not feel the need to follow up.

So my impression is that they are not going to deal on these until supply catches up to demand because they are trickling in at this point. If you can hold off 2 or 3 months, i think you'll be a lot more successful finding a dealership willing to negotiate. Unfortunately my current lease ends at the end of the month and I do not expect many more to be coming in by then. FWIW, USAA shows a sales price of several thousand off MSRP, I just don't believe it and think Edmunds TMV is correct.
  • Options
    How did the test drive go? How do you like/dislike the vehicle?

Yes, it is all about Supply and Demand so wait until more show up at the dealership (I was told many more will come in July) if you can. I have no problem waiting for a couple more months. Another good reason to wait longer is to let Mazda corrected all the "bugs". This is common for any first year vehicle.
  • Options
    woolooloowoolooloo Member Posts: 44
    I liked it. I felt the exterior was in line with the competition, interior was very nice, near the top although I do not like the nav screen jutting out of the center dash. Drive was sporty and peppy. I was wary of the 4 cylinder, but found it much more responsive than the Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl, found it felt similar to the Ford Explorer Sport/Platinum in terms of throttle response, but it drives very sporty while the Explorer drives big.

I found 3rd row access to be about the worst of the ones I've looked at. Still sorting out how I feel about that. I've driven:
    Mazda CX-9
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Ford Explorer Platinum
    Infiniti QX60
    Acura MDX

I drove the Infiniti and Acura first, thinking I would be getting one of those to replace my Lexus, but they both had deficiencies I was not willing to compromise on. The Explorer was very good, maybe at the top of my list, but I hate the info/nav system on it. The Sync 3 system is coming out on the 2017 and will vastly improve it, but my lease ends at the end of June and I can't wait for the 2017 to be released. So I'm probably choosing between the Mazda and Hyundai. It's almost a toss up. I like the drive of the Mazda better, I like some of the features (Android Auto, Apple CarPlay) and 3rd row access of the Hyundai better. I think the deciding factor will simply be that I need to purchase in the next few weeks and I'm much more likely to get a good deal on the Hyundai in that time frame. If I were purchasing a couple months from now, I could easily end up with the Mazda.

Hope that is helpful.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for sharing, Woolooloo! In fact, I am debating between this CX-9, Ford Explorer Limited (even though I like the Platium/Sport), MDX, and Lexus RX 350. I am leaning toward this CX-9 because:

- Ford Explore reliability is not rated high on Consumer Reports and I've never driven a Ford before. I drove the Limited for a week recently and really like it though.
    - MDX has good rating but I just don't like the interior.
    - On the other hand, I love the new RX 350's interior but cannot stand the hideous grill! Not yet! I might spend another year to accept it when seeing more RX 350 on the street.

I am not really concern about the third row accessibility since I would not want to put my kids back there either (for safety concern) unless we have to. However, it is hard to find a mid-size SUV nowadays w/o 7 seat. That why RX-350 is on my list as it is still only 5 seat up until now.

• Options
    mustang24fanmustang24fan Member Posts: 51
    Definitely going to wait a while. Still debating if I should lease or buy, but the leases are pretty scrappy. Will have to test drive the Sig model, seems to be the only AWD option right now.
    I have till mid August. Well, technically even longer, but my wife wants it when school starts again for the kids after the summer.
  • Options
    smartgroupissmartgroupis Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone,

I'm also in the market for the Signature Machine Gray Total MSRP $45,215. Or plus TRAILER HITCH (CLASS II) WITH WIRING HARNESS $450. Please post if you bought one. Deciding between this CX-9 or the next 2017 Highlander whenever it comes out. We'll probably will get whatever give us best value.

Does anyone know if the trailer hitch is from the original factory?
  • Options
    mikeyfoucsmikeyfoucs Member Posts: 2
    Test drove one in NJ on Friday. Dealers here are also quoting MSRP, but giving dealer or Mazda loyalty discounts a bit. My dealer had at least 4 in stock, a Signature, a Grand Touring, and two Touring. This is an amazing car. I have a Mazda3 2012 and love how it handles. I've driven the CX-5 and it feels like an SUV: doesn't hug the road and feels like a jacked up car with far worse handling. You buy a Mazda for reliability and handling (zoom zoom). The CX-9 has it, big time. It has little noticeable turbo lag, especially if you put it in sport mode (a button beside the shifter), which causes turbo to engage right away. This car hugs the road on turns, shifts down smoothly while taking a corner at speed (my salesman let me really take it for a spin), and the cabin is extremely quiet and well appointed (I drove the Grand Touring). I don't really need the 3rd row and would keep those seats down for cargo space most of the time, but it is quite tight and hard to get into if you do need it. I've driven the Honda Pilot, which is bigger if you need more cargo, but it feels like a truck, it is loud, and it doesn't touch the CX-9 in pep or handling. Toyota and Nissan need to radically change their suspension to get anywhere near this car. I want one, but don't want to drop $40k just yet. Hoping for some future incentives.
  • Options
    Good review, thanks.
  • Options
    triathlete77triathlete77 Member Posts: 12
    I bought a White in Signature trim in Maryland for $42,977 (MSRP $45,115). Pretty significant discount in my opinion for the signature trim. Got another $500 off as a loyalty discount so it came out to $42,477. Love the car!
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,315

I bought a White in Signature trim in Maryland for $42,977 (MSRP $45,115). Pretty significant discount in my opinion for the signature trim. Got another $500 off as a loyalty discount so it came out to $42,477. Love the car!

Congrats!

Did you notice whether inventory was starting to increase at your local dealership?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    amarmistryNJamarmistryNJ Member Posts: 23
    Got GT (Silver /Black) for 39.5k(incl. destination charge and 500 loyalty applied) + TTL in NJ.
  • Options
    Congrats @amarmistryNJ!
  • Options
    wombats33wombats33 Member Posts: 9
    Just got a GT AWD for $37,800. Great time to buy!
  • Options
    Sweet, congrats!
  • Options
    chrisdmellochrisdmello Member Posts: 9
    Which dealor in NJ have the best prices on the AWD GT/ Signature? Txs.
  • Options
    Try looking at posts by @brian125, not sure if he's listed Mazda dealers lately though.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    wombats33 said:

Thats a much better price than what I paid. Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Hi wombats33, that's a great price. Which dealership?
  • Options
    bbrescian1bbrescian1 Member Posts: 19
    wombats33 said:

Is that including sales tax?
  • Options
    Local dealer here in Denver offered me $37k for AWD Touring with Premium Package, window sticker shows $40,770

I looked at invoice prices stated here at Edmunds, looks like a decent offer. My biggest problem with this car is when you compare it to Santa Fe or 2016 Highlander (both 7 seaters) the Mazda CX-9 is almost 10% more for the same equipment and that is after negotiating down to $37k
  • Options
    Local dealer here in Denver offered me $37k for AWD Touring with Premium Package, window sticker shows $40,770 I looked at invoice prices stated here at Edmunds, looks like a decent offer. My biggest problem with this car is when you compare it to Santa Fe or 2016 Highlander (both 7 seaters) the Mazda CX-9 is almost 10% more for the same equipment and that is after negotiating down to $37k
    I'm in Denver and I just got a GT AWD for $37,800. I went with Penkhus down in CO Springs. They didn't want to lose out to a Denver dealership so they offered me employee pricing. You can do better than where you're at right now. 
  • Options
    wombats33 said:

Local dealer here in Denver offered me $37k for AWD Touring with Premium Package, window sticker shows $40,770

I looked at invoice prices stated here at Edmunds, looks like a decent offer. My biggest problem with this car is when you compare it to Santa Fe or 2016 Highlander (both 7 seaters) the Mazda CX-9 is almost 10% more for the same equipment and that is after negotiating down to $37k

I'm in Denver and I just got a GT AWD for $37,800. I went with Penkhus down in CO Springs. They didn't want to lose out to a Denver dealership so they offered me employee pricing. You can do better than where you're at right now. 

Thanks Wombat,

I will consider making that horrible drive down there (Not sure its worth $800 lol)
  • Options

wombats33 said:

Thanks Wombat,

I will consider making that horrible drive down there (Not sure its worth $800 lol)

If it's an hour down and an hour back, those 2 hours will save you $400 each?

Why wouldn't you do that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options

$37,800 includes destination charge ?
  • Options
    Michaell,

It's simple ... a deep irrational hatred of I-25 Southbound and the chance of a getting stuck in 3 hrs of traffic lol

I joke, but seriously I don't think I have ever made that drive without hitting a major back up.
  • Options
    Local dealer here in Denver offered me $37k for AWD Touring with Premium Package, window sticker shows $40,770 I looked at invoice prices stated here at Edmunds, looks like a decent offer. My biggest problem with this car is when you compare it to Santa Fe or 2016 Highlander (both 7 seaters) the Mazda CX-9 is almost 10% more for the same equipment and that is after negotiating down to $37k
    Thanks Wombat, I will consider making that horrible drive down there (Not sure its worth $800 lol)
    $800 difference except you're talking Touring and I'm talking Grand Touring. 
  • Options
    wombats33 said:

wombats33 said:

Thanks Wombat,

$800 difference except you're talking Touring and I'm talking Grand Touring. 

You are 100% correct.

My apologizes for my poor attempt at humor, employee pricing on a car like this is totally worth the trip. Wombat sent you a PM about some details.

Thanks again all
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I'm shopping, sort of, and the idea of having to buy in El Paso bugs me. It's an hour away. Flying to VA to visit my sister and buying there doesn't faze me at all. :D

Some great info getting posted in here. Anyone else shopping or have numbers to report? Please unlurk and weigh in!
  • Options

Michaell,

It's simple ... a deep irrational hatred of I-25 Southbound and the chance of a getting stuck in 3 hrs of traffic lol

I joke, but seriously I don't think I have ever made that drive without hitting a major back up.

I suppose it depends on where you are starting from.

I live in Parker (and before that, Castle Rock), so the drive to the Springs isn't too bad for me. If you're coming from the north side of Denver, I'll agree with your comments.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I got on a quote on a Sig for $42,100(close to invoice). Going to wait till the end of the month for any manufacturer incentives. I know that we don't see these but am guessing that it should factor into the price as they try to get the inventory down at year end.
  • Options
    Can someone look at my math on this lease. Cause my numbers are not matching the dealers

CX-9 MSRP: 40,615
    Res @ 57% = 23,150
    Negotiated Price = 36,000 (this is after Mazda fees and tax etc)
    Base Payment = (36,000 - 23,150) = $12,850 / 39mo = $329.48
    Interest = (23,150 + 36,000) * .00047 = $27.80
    Payment w/o Tax = 329.48+27.80= $357.28
    Tax = Sales tax is .05 (80126)
    Final Payment = 357.28 * 1.05 = $375.14

Am I doing this right?
  • Options

Can someone look at my math on this lease. Cause my numbers are not matching the dealers

CX-9 MSRP: 40,615
    Res @ 57% = 23,150
    Negotiated Price = 36,000 (this is after Mazda fees and tax etc)
    Base Payment = (36,000 - 23,150) = $12,850 / 39mo = $329.48
    Interest = (23,150 + 36,000) * .00047 = $27.80
    Payment w/o Tax = 329.48+27.80= $357.28
    Tax = Sales tax is .05 (80126)
    Final Payment = 357.28 * 1.05 = $375.14

Am I doing this right?

Yes, you are.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    NewcastleWonderNewcastleWonder Member Posts: 9
    Shopping for a white CX-9 signature trim. The best quote I got is $42417 so far (MSRP is $45115), about $300 below invoice. Is there still room for a better deal? I am not sure if $2000 below invoice is possible by the end of this year .. thoughts?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    We show MSRP at $44,915 for the AWD Signature. Invoice is $42,545 and the True Market Value average is around $43,200. So your quote is good compared to the TMV average.

Your quote is only about 6% below your MSRP though.

$41,500 would be a better number - that'd be 8% off MSRP and $1,000 below invoice.

Possible? Maybe, kind of depends on your area and how hungry your dealers are. And how much inventory there is out there - haven't heard much about the 2017s but Mazda may be winding down production of the 2016s and there probably aren't all that many Signatures out there. Doubtful that you'd get to $2,000 below invoice unless something changes between now and New Year's, like some extra dealer cash or a holiday sale..
  • Options
    NewcastleWonderNewcastleWonder Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, @stever!

We are in Seattle area. The color of the Signature trim is white so it adds $200 to the MSRP. I checked the inventory with your link and it looks like there are still 23 units out there for the Signature trim. I am going to push a bit harder and see how it goes :smile:
  • Options
    Seattle is an interesting area - expensive place to live with lots of well off people and I think that throws off the curve a bit and ramps prices up a little. And with all the traffic and water hazards, you don't have people driving in from the more rural areas like you do in DC, where it seems easier to get around, even though the traffic is bad there too.

Dunno, I have a lot dumb car buying theories - maybe the gray winter days depresses the salespeople and they want to see the buyers suffer too. My BIL in Wallingford beat the system, he just doesn't drive. :D