Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

6'4" guy looking for SUV or Minivan for two car seats plus visitors

jmsilhyjmsilhy Member Posts: 3
edited November 2016 in General
After many months reading forums, I think it's time to jump in with a question.

I think the title says it all, but here are some pointers for you all, hoping the experience and expertise in this site can point me in the right direction:

- Budget under $28k, pre-owned from 2014 forward, low mileage -> preferably.
- After warranty doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
- Third row for when we have visitors is important. In my comments below I'll comment on this preceded by an *.
- I'm very tall and when I'm in a comfortable driving position, we have the challenge of the car seat behind the driver not fitting, so I have to move forward a bit in my Sonata. The SUV's I have discarded due to this fact are: Ford Explorer (*third row space very limited), Hyundai Santa Fe (*third row space very small), Chevy Traverse (* which feels very big while driving, but the space in 3rd row is not that much and leaves no trunk whatsoever).
- We also drove a '14 Acadia but I don't like the fact that it's changing line and it's a little above budget for a '14.
- We tried the Pacifica but I can only find those new, so it's above budget and I like to buy cars already depreciated a bit (just my personal preference).
- We have yet to try Honda's Pilot and Odyssey...

Sorry to make this so long, I hope there's a few opinions here and recommendations on which models I might be missing.

Thanks!!

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have a good friend who's 6'4" with a 38" inseam. He has an F-150 that's marginal but he fits pretty well in his Expedition. No kids though.

He fits okay in the passenger side of my '09 Grand Caravan. The driver's seat is way more adjustable so that may help too. He's never driven it.

My brother likes his Odyssey, but he's only 6'.

The nice thing about the Grand Caravans are:

1) They are cheap so you can skip the warranty and just put money aside - most cars are pretty reliable these days and chances are you won't need the warranty.

2) They have great Stow and Go seats. Perfect for popping the car seats out and running down to the big box hardware store for a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Ditto bikes and kid's gear.

3) Power sliding doors would make it easier to manhandle stuff (and kids) into the second row. A power hatch would be real handy too, and most vans offer those too.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    How about a Ford Flex?
  • jmsilhyjmsilhy Member Posts: 3
    I'll check out both the Flex and the Caravan, thanks for the inputs.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,098
    jmsilhy said:

I'll check out both the Flex and the Caravan, thanks for the inputs.

Chrysler Town and Country
    VW Routan

Both twins to the Grand Caravan.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I would get a warranty with a Chrysler product.
    I didn't on mine. They've been making Caravans forever and they have the bugs worked out. And if something does go wrong they are easy to get fixed since so many mechanics can work on Dodges.

If they were junk they wouldn't outsell everything else. Put the T&C and Caravan together and they have almost a 50% market share. Can't understand why FCA is dumping the Caravans - the Pacifica is nice and all but they are only available at Chrysler dealers.
    Iffy reliability in the best of times. However, the nice thing about mediocrity is that you're always at your best B)
    edited November 2016
    Mine has impressed me as a good runner and the Stow and Go are the best. Just brakes and tires to date.

And a little body work. ;)
    OK, but you are a database of One. Valid as far as it goes, no argument there.

All I can say in all fairness is to invite anyone buying a Chrysler product to peruse the various ratings websites for the reliability ratings.
    edited November 2016
    We aren't talking about Grand Cherokees, lol.

My '09 has the same reliability as an '09 Odyssey per US News and it's several thousand cheaper on the used market.

I would avoid the Routan.
    Yeah, I don't see the sense of buying a Chrysler product from VW.

Well hopefully jmsilhy will be shopping for 2014++ vehicles, as he says, so should he choose a Caravan, it will probably have warranty on it.

You should post your True Delta link Shifty. Lots of good reliability info there even if is owner reported.

I guess a used Escalade would bust the budget.
    Now there's a vehicle that definitely has a reliability issue. I don't use True Delta because they bug you with e-mails constantly.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'm thinking with a minivan, given his height, he might want to get one without a sunroof so he can adjust the seat height up more to offset the tighter legroom.
    No sunroof in mine fwiw. The seat does adjust up and down and the pedals are also adjustable. The steering wheel tilts but that's about it.
  • jmsilhyjmsilhy Member Posts: 3
    I will look at a few of the recommended models after thanksgiving, thanks for your recommendations. Wifey really wants to test drive an Odyssey, so we'll probably do that as well, and since we take the baby car seats and all, I will let you know how it goes.

Happy holidays everyone!!
    edited November 2016
    Our only beef with the Odyssey is that the dash seems a bit intrusive on the passenger side. And my wife isn't that tall, around 5'7", and she felt cramped. So check that out if you don't drive most of the time.

Haven't heard my brother complain when he drives or rides in his wife's Odyssey. They are on their second one.

Actually, when your wife drives, you could sit in the third row and stretch out your legs between the second row seats. Just buy an intercom. :)