Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2016
    Prices in Dallas used to be a few hundred bucks better but the gaps has been closing in recent months.

And yeah, good deal - invoice is $25,459 and the True Market Value average price paid for a Houston zip is about $1,000 below that.

Your selling price is $2,400 below invoice.

Mind the fees, but you're doing great.
  • hondafanboyhondafanboy Member Posts: 5
    stever said:

Prices in Dallas used to be a few hundred bucks better but the gaps has been closing in recent months.

And yeah, good deal - invoice is $25,459 and the True Market Value average price paid for a Houston zip is about $1,000 below that.

I guess I did not read closely, the prices I have been getting do not include the $900 destination....
    so it will be $24002 + ttl which would be close to $25500.... I was hoping to get under $24000 OTD with the $900 incentive (manufacture to dealer rebate)
    Okay, so more like $1,450 below invoice. Not what you are hoping for but still not bad for Texas. We used to see invoice deals when DC was getting $1,000 off invoice back early in the 2016 model year.

Black Friday may help if any of your local dealers decide to have sales.
  • zoeleemczoeleemc Member Posts: 2
    Hi,stever,

I am in Santa Ana, CA 92707

Get a quote from dealer today.

Do you think its a reasonable offer.

Thank you very much for all those helpful information!!!

VEHICLE
    Vehicle: 2016 HONDA CR-V 2WD RM3H3GEW 4dr Wgn LX
    Stock #: GH547834
    VIN: 2HKRM3H38GH547834
    Miles: 2
    PURCHASE OPTION
    Vehicle Price $24,645.00
    AutoNation Savings - $3,000.00
    AutoNation Price $21,645.00

Sales Tax (estimate) + $1,740.33
    Documentation Fee + $80.00
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA + $8.75
    Weight Fee + $24.00
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate) + $212.00
    Electronic Filing + $29.00
    Flat Add/County Fee + $10.00
    Smog Abatement Fee + $20.00
    Customer Deposit Edit
    Balance Due (estimate) $23,769.08

Hi @zoeleemc, invoice is $24,183 and TMV is $1,365 below invoice for your zip ($22,818)..

Cali has a lot of fees, but your selling price is very good. I'd say go for it!
  • zoeleemczoeleemc Member Posts: 2
    I got it finally at 23309
    Thank you!!!@stever :D
    Yay, another $400+ bucks off. nice going, congrats!
  • crverinvtcrverinvt Member Posts: 4
    I'm in VT and have a the following quote for a 2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD:

$28,198 + TTL ($714 below invoice).

This quote seems nowhere near as good as others on this forum. I'm not sure if it is the VT market, however I am willing to travel to save $$. Any advice on where to go/what to do?
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited November 2016
    crverinvt said:

I'm in VT and have a the following quote for a 2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD:

$28,198 + TTL ($714 below invoice).

This quote seems nowhere near as good as others on this forum. I'm not sure if it is the VT market, however I am willing to travel to save $$. Any advice on where to go/what to do?

Boston is where you will make your lowest deal .
    request some pricing from the MA area then decide if its worth a trip Otherwise round up as many dealers in and around VT as far as your willing to travel to making the best deal at the end of the month.

http://www.dealerrater.com/metro/Boston/Honda/

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Use the Dealer-Rater to change the State and location if you want to extend your CRV search.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• hondafanboyhondafanboy Member Posts: 5
    stever said:

Finally pulled the trigger. $22784 + TTL.
    Final $24590 out the door

What it seems is other dealer price is actually going up.
  • ming2016ming2016 Member Posts: 3
    In San Diego, zip 92064.
    2016 CRV-EX, 2WD, NO navi,
    MSRP. 26895
    Invoice. 25550
    Costco Sale price 24153, plus TTL, about 10 %
    Is this a fair price?

Thanks

stever said:

Finally pulled the trigger. $22784 + TTL.
    Final $24590 out the door

What it seems is other dealer price is actually going up.
    Congrats!
    edited November 2016
    ming2016 said:

In San Diego, zip 92064.
    2016 CRV-EX, 2WD, NO navi,
    MSRP. 26895
    Invoice. 25550
    Costco Sale price 24153, plus TTL, about 10 %
    Is this a fair price?

Thanks

Hi @ming2016, the TMV average for your zip is $24,600. So yeah, you have a fair price and an easy way to get into a new car without a lot of hassle.

You could shop that quote around by email; some dealer may beat it since then they wouldn't have to pay Costco their fee, whatever that is ($300?).
  • ming2016ming2016 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Steven, thanks for your reply. Now the best offer I got is ~25814 OTD, TrueCar Price is 25748, TMV 24600, Does this mean there is still room to bargain? Thanks

Hi @ming2016, the TMV average for your zip is $24,600. So yeah, you have a fair price and an easy way to get into a new car without a lot of hassle.

You could shop that quote around by email; some dealer may beat it since then they wouldn't have to pay Costco their fee, whatever that is ($300?).

• duderbudduderbud Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Hey,
    zip code 84093
    2016 Honda CRV EX-L AWD
    first dealer
    299 doc fee
    1931.15 sales tax
    238.91 reg and other fees
    30,362 OTD

next gave me
    29,941 OTD

Dealer one told me take the 2nd and good luck.

these pretty fair?
    thanks
    edited November 2016
    @ming2016, I had a fun chat with a neighbor the other day. He's a GM at a dealer and I rarely see him. He does a lot of USAA and True Car deals and while they pay about $300 as the fee (he doesn't do Costco), they don't care since once they hit their monthly volume numbers, they get anywhere from $300 to $700 a car from the manufacturer depending on how well they do.

So yeah, there could be a bit more room. Worth testing it a bit at least.
    Hi @duderbud, you're practically a neighbor. Welcome.

Invoice is $29,098, MSRP is $30,645 and the True Market Value average price paid for your zip is $28,469. Those numbers include the $900 destination and the invoice has an ad fee stuck on of $279. I don't believe consumers should have to pay ad fees.

The quoted doc fee is $249 too high. That's typical and we see lots worse.

So the selling price on the first quote is about $1,000 below invoice and that sounds okay for the intermountain West and maybe a bit better than down here. Not as good as Denver probably, but that's a bigger marker. Another yardstick is that the first dealer's selling price is about 9% below MSRP.

For about $400, you could take the second quote and save a few bucks. But if the first dealer is convenient, over a few years of ownership, $400 is nothing, like $6 a month extra for 5 years.

If you want to go with the first dealer, tell them that you are ready to buy today but they have to throw in free mats (next you'll tell me that both dealers already threw mats in, lol).

Or you could wait until Black Friday to see if a special ad flops up or wait until month end and hope one of the dealers gets hungrier.

Cutting back to the chase, yeah, both quotes are fair.
  • duderbudduderbud Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I am waiting until the end of the month to try and do better. Also I'm from Memphis originally and having two slabs of corkys ribs flown in for Thanksgiving for $80. TRV (true rib value) is about $42. what do you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,810
    duderbud said:

Thanks I am waiting until the end of the month to try and do better. Also I'm from Memphis originally and having two slabs of corkys ribs flown in for Thanksgiving for $80. TRV (true rib value) is about $42. what do you think?

Shipping charges are killing you. Corky's not really worth the premium price, IMO. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited November 2016
    Oh, you're killing me. lol at TRV. The Rendezvous was great and all but Gridleys was the go-to spot for me in my M-Town years. I really prefer the chopped stuff anyway. But I'd settle for a slab from Corkys, lol.

I have to quit driving out for food though. In ~'79 I went across town and got a pound of BBQ to go. I was so anxious to get home with it, I pulled out on a left turn and smashed into a Caddy. No one was hurt but the BBQ wound up all over the floor of the passenger side. :'(

Yesterday we went to the little town of Mesilla here (a town within Las Cruces if you will) and got a pecan pie and tamales for turkey day. Durned if we didn't get in a fender bender and had to have the van towed. This time everyone survived okay and the pie was undamaged. B)
  • wallawallaronwallawallaron Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2016
    Steve,thanks for all the great advice you provide.

looking at 2016 EXL AWD zip 99324
    have dealer price of 28913+150.doc fee+local ttl
    we are going to buy end of next month.
    is this a good price
    TIA
    WWR

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

looking at 2016 EXL AWD
    is this a good price
    TIA
    WWR

Are you sure the inventory will be there in 30 days? I doubt the dealer will be able to hold that price for so long.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited November 2016

looking at 2016 EXL AWD zip 99324
    is this a good price
    TIA
    WWR

Hi Ron, mostly always missed your area when we'd cruise from Boise when we lived up your way. Usually headed for Pendleton for the mill ends when we drove west. Seems like it'd be kind of a dead zone for lots of dealers, unless you decide to go Portland, Seattle or Spokane but I don't really know your dealer situation there.

Checking our inventory listings, I only see 12 CR-Vs in your zip code area and only 4 of them are EX-Ls. I haven't heard when the 2017s are due at the dealers. So like @Michaell says, if you want this particular one, you may not want to wait until the end of December. Then again, maybe no one in your city is buying.

Back to your numbers, invoice is $28,819, MSRP is $30,645 and the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $28,336. So the average is about $500 below invoice. Your quote is higher than invoice and a good bit above average and so not so good for an educated consumer.

My guess is that you'd prefer to buy local since it looks like you just have the one dealer. Maybe try getting a Price Promise quote and seeing if that's any better, unless you really want to wait a month. If you want to wait, I'd do nothing right now. If the dealer calls, tell them that their numbers were too high and that you are thinking of a Mazda CX-5.

• coffee102coffee102 Member Posts: 4
    lisaninja said:

This forum has been helpful. Here's the deal we got.

EX AWD
    $23998 included destination and the dealers $399 protection package (wheel locks, cargo tray and mud flaps. We couldn't get dealer to budge on that.

We added roof rails and crossbars to be installed for $928

Total OTD with tax/license/fees (doc fee $80) was $27,433 in Northern California

*Dealer was willing to take $1200 if we wanted an EX FWD

Hello, can you tell me what dealership you went to in Norcal?
  • fuhongxfuhongx Member Posts: 2
    Hi,stever,

I am in hacienda-heights, CA 91745

Get a quote from dealer today.

Do you think its a reasonable offer.

Thank you very much for all those helpful information!!!

VEHICLE
    Vehicle: 2016 HONDA CR-V LX 2WD.
    OTD price:23400
    edited November 2016
    Hi @fuhongx, welcome.

Assuming 10% for your fees and taxes, your selling price would be $21,060.

TMV for your zip is coming in at $22,235, and that's about $1,200 below the invoice of $23,426. All numbers include the $900 destination, and there's a $233 ad fee in your zip that really should make invoice more like $23,200.

Either way, your quote is about invoice with the taxes and fees.

And that looks like a good price to me. Maybe $2,100 off invoice.

Enjoy!
  • fuhongxfuhongx Member Posts: 2
    thanks a lot. I will consult your opinion.
  • mysteremystere Member Posts: 5
    How about this for a CRV LX FWD?
    Sales price including destination: 21500
    Trade In: 3000
    Taxes (70739 zip): 1942
    TTL & Doc Fee: 400 (they are unwilling to negotiate on the doc fee)
    Cargo Tray: Free!
    Out the door: 20862
    One dealership said they could go no lower than 24000 out the door so do the numbers I've posted look like a good deal?
    I was helping a woman near your area last week shop for a Toyota and the dealers down your way are kind of tough. At least the inventory got a bit back to normal after all the flooding pushed so many people to replace cars.

Honda dealers in general are a bit more flexible than Toyota dealers. Your sales price is about 12% below MSRP and that's good for a popular car and pretty close to your other OTD quote not counting the trade-in. We don't see the 15 to 20% off deals much except for the slow sellers that the dealers are trying to move.

Assuming you are getting a decent price for your trade, I think you are doing just fine for Cajun country. Only way to get another chunk of bucks off really is to travel out of state. Maybe way out of state.

One thing you could try is wait until next Tuesday or Wednesday and counter offer a bit less OTD (don't bother trying to negotiate the trade or fees). Say $20,500 even. If the dealer hasn't made quota by the end of the month, they may bite.

Of course the LX you want may not be in stock next week....
    Stever thanks for your comments.
    My trade in is a 2000 Nissan Frontier with 243000 miles so $3000 offered on that truck,I believe, is pretty good. The $24000 out the door price from the other dealer included $500 offered as a trade in on my Frontier. They allowed me to walk away after telling me there was nothing else they could do (nor have they called me back to try to offer a better deal). 
  • amb1981amb1981 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Stever, hope all is well and thank you for all of the valuable information that you provide on this site. I am looking to possibly capitalize on any 2016 CR-V deals in my area especially as the 2017's are about to start hitting dealerships. I have yet to visit my local dealership, but plan to do so within the next week. However, before I go I would like to be in the best negotiating position possible. What would be a great deal when negotiating any of the following models:

Touring AWD - $34,395
    EX-L AWD - $30,745
    Zip Code: 08902

Thank you in advance.
    mystere said:

Stever thanks for your comments.
    My trade in is a 2000 Nissan Frontier with 243000 miles so $3000 offered on that truck,I believe, is pretty good. The $24000 out the door price from the other dealer included $500 offered as a trade in on my Frontier. They allowed me to walk away after telling me there was nothing else they could do (nor have they called me back to try to offer a better deal). 

Yeah, $500 is probably more like it and even then a lot of dealers would tow it straight to the crusher. Although truck prices can get crazy.

Sounds like a deal to me!
    amb1981 said:

Hello Stever, hope all is well and thank you for all of the valuable information that you provide on this site. I am looking to possibly capitalize on any 2016 CR-V deals in my area especially as the 2017's are about to start hitting dealerships. I have yet to visit my local dealership, but plan to do so within the next week. However, before I go I would like to be in the best negotiating position possible. What would be a great deal when negotiating any of the following models:

Touring AWD - $34,395
    EX-L AWD - $30,745
    Zip Code: 08902

Thank you in advance.

Welcome @amb1981.

I'd get quotes and hit the dealers early next week. Wednesday is the last day of the month and we see the best deals at the end of the month (and quarter and year). Most dealers will be real busy today but there may be some good "Black Friday" sales in your area too.

About 9% off MSRP gets you close to the invoice price. For your area, the TMV average is around invoice.

So I'd aim for 15% off MSRP for a target. Usually that number (15 to 20%) is for slow moving sellers, but it's worth aiming for. 12% off would be just fine though. :)

Look for posts by @brian125 - he's in your area and knows the dealers. Or send him a PM by clicking on his name. But he may off playing golf for the holiday.
    edited November 2016
    Another thing - can't really put my finger on it and my theory may be completely out to lunch, but once the 2017s hit the showroom, it seems like the salespeople lose interest in dealing in the "old stock". Maybe it has to do with how the dealer hits their quota numbers and old stock is off the radar for that?

Probably just my imagination. You may have trouble finding a color you like the longer you wait though.
    Stever, the deal has been done and I now own an Alabaster Silver CRV LX. I appreciate your input; you are the man!
    FWIW, the first dealer called me early this morning and I told them they were too late to get back in the game. I wasn't rude or anything, but it was disappointing they didn't try more aggressively to come back with a counter after we left their dealership yesterday.
    We will have to replace my wife's vehicle and we test drove a Honda Civic yesterday just to get a feel for the car. It is a nice car that would suit my wife very well... unless I give her the CRV and I get another small pickup.
    Now it's time to figure out how this fancy car works.
    Congrats!

And yeah, we test drove a Civic Hatch not long ago and sat in some sedans - they are really nice rides.
  • wookhukwookhuk Member Posts: 2
    Ugh debating whether I should pull the trigger on a 2016 CRV EX AWD or wait for the 2017 models. Right now the dealer is offering

CRV EX AWD 24,250
    plates 221
    dealer fee 169.27
    + taxes

The numbers look good to me but 2017 CRVs are looking good too... especially with standard honda sensing from EX and up. Any have any realistic estimates on how much the 2017 versions will cost?

Hi Stever, do you recall another buyer (other than lisaninja) getting a CR-V AWD EX for 24,000 or below in Northern California/San Francisco/San Jose and if so, what dealership? I think that's a great price, especially with protection package. Doesn't sound like there were junk fees in her OTD price either. Thoughts and help? My best offer is 24,300 without the protection package.
    Not really @coffee102 - seems like the dealer (dealers?) around Oakland were more aggressive.

What's in the pro pack? I always figure those are pretty worthless dealer add-ons, like paint protection or nitrogen in the tires.

TMV is $25,513 including invoice and that's about 9% under the MSRP of $28,195.

It's hard to do much better than 12% off MSRP and your quote of $24,300 is about 14% off MSRP. One more percent would get you to $23,966. That might be doable at month end next week.
    stever said:
    Not really @coffee102 - seems like the dealer (dealers?) around Oakland were more aggressive. What's in the pro pack? I always figure those are pretty worthless dealer add-ons, like paint protection or nitrogen in the tires. TMV is $25,513 including invoice and that's about 9% under the MSRP of $28,195. It's hard to do much better than 12% off MSRP and your quote of $24,300 is about 14% off MSRP. One more percent would get you to $23,966. That might be doable at month end next week.
    Lisaninja's pro pack had "wheel locks, cargo tray and mud flaps" so the cargo tray sounds like a nice accessory
    edited November 2016
    These look like official retail prices from estore.honda.com:

Wheel Locks $56
    Cargo Tray $114
    Splash Guard Set $104

Figure what, $125 wholesale? I'd go for the mud flaps myself.
    Dealer would not go lower or add accessories to the price. Since only one dealer in an 80 mile radius would match I bought it at my local place for $24,288 + $80 docs + $2132 tax + ~$300 DMV

I bought the cargo tray and all season mat combo from Maita Honda's Online Accessory Store (https://www.handa-accessories.com) for $180

Thanks for your help stever
    Good going - and Handa has been around "forever".

Congrats!
  • MikeD-BHMMikeD-BHM Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2016
    So, been shopping around the Birmingham area and looking for some advise.

We found a 2016 CR-V EX FWD, Obsidian Blue.
    I have negotiated a price of $25,500 OTD.
    This price includes a year of oil changes (2) and lifetime powertrain at the dealer.

The breakdown is as follows:

$27,505 - MSRP (includes trunk tray, wheel locks, mud guards, moonroof visor, door edge guards and paint sealant/protection)

$23,964 - Purchase price for CR-V w/accessories

$599 - dealer doc fee (I know, way high!)

$921 - 3.75% tax

$16.50 - AL Title Fee

$25,500 - OTD Price + .9% APR for 60mos

We think we could do a little better if we wait, but like the color and inventory is down locally. I know the paint protection is just wax but it's included. I offered $25,100 OTD today but currently no give. Hoping to see a little bit better offer as we approach last day of the month.
  • mike879mike879 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Stever, thanks for all of your advice in this forum. I am in the market for a 2016 EX AWD. I live in central MN and I wonder what I should be asking for in my area? I'm guessing my best bet is in Minneapolis and I've seen a recent price of 24,200 in this forum a month or so ago. Is there any more room or should I be happy if I can get that price? Thanks!
    edited November 2016
    Hi @MikeD-BHM, welcome. Nice to see more and more people like you doing their research. Been a long time since I've seen the Vulcan guy - you guys have gotten big down in your metro area!

TMV (without the options) is about $600 below the invoice of $25,309 (also without the options but with the $900 destination).

Your selling price quote is around $1,300 below invoice plus the value of the options, oil changes and the warranty..

I think you're doing pretty good, I mean, your OTD price is ~$800 below MSRP and you are getting some stuff thrown in, you got a great low interest loan and it's your color and they aren't making any more of them.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are the days to buy. Go get it and enjoy the blue!
  • MikeD-BHMMikeD-BHM Member Posts: 4
    Well, heard back and we settled at $25,300 OTD with the .9 APR, warranty, accessories, and complimentary service. Thanks for your help. Feel like we got a solid deal!
    Terrific! Congrats!
    edited November 2016
    mike879 said:

Hi Stever, thanks for all of your advice in this forum. I am in the market for a 2016 EX AWD. I live in central MN and I wonder what I should be asking for in my area? I'm guessing my best bet is in Minneapolis and I've seen a recent price of 24,200 in this forum a month or so ago. Is there any more room or should I be happy if I can get that price? Thanks!

Almost missed you @mike879. Sometimes posts sneak in while people are drafting replies to other posts.

You may want to get quotes "locally" - I just compared Minneapolis numbers to Duluth and they are only around $100 less in the bigger city. Same TMV price in Bemidji as Minneapolis, probably because there's no nearby dealers to pull numbers from.

$24,200 would be around $2,300 below invoice (call it ~14% below MSRP). TMV is $600 below invoice. If that $24,200 quote is from MN, then yeah, I'd grab it. I don't remember MN numbers, other than your dealers aren't as aggressive as other parts of the country. 12% off MSRP would be closer to $24,800 and that may be more easily doable. But I may be estimating too high because when I look at our inventory link, I see over 200 EXs in Minneapolis.

We show MSRP to be $28,195 btw, and all my numbers include the $900 destination.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are prime shopping days, so you may want to get on the phone and see how close you can get to $24,000. I love being shown up. B)