Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    How are you able to tell there is antifreeze in the oil? I'm just curious as I had a car I was planning to eventually junk due to other issues. While using it up, it also eventually had water in the oil, but I could not really tell that this was happening until the oil looked like chocolate milk.
  • milicamilica Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Jetta that ran a curb while avoiding an accident. The result was a damaged transmission oil pan, lower left control arm and subframe. The engine is now making a peculiar buzzing or zipping sound when accelerating a little harder in first gear. The dealer said they think it is the transmission and I need a new one. Note, this noise was not there prior. I have noticed when I turn right the same noise is there but not when I turn left. Any thoughts?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Did you check the oil/antifreeze intercooler? This is the only point where oil and antifreeze pass close together to exchange heat.
  • mrbert29mrbert29 Member Posts: 37
    I recently bought a used 2006 Jetta, fully loaded with 44K miles. I thought it was a great deal until I started experiencing some problems. One of them is that the stupid selling dealership did not provide the owners manual, so a couple of lights have recently come on. One is this symbol that looks like a car swerving. Is that related to the ESP button being off/on? I press the ESP button and nothing happens. Also, what does the engine light indicator coming on really mean, besides I need to get it checked? Next and finally the biggest and greatest problem I have is the brake lights just randomly coming on while the car is just sitting there but then shutting off when the pedal is pumped. VW has never heard of this issue, but do you know what happens when the brake lights come on and remain on nearly all night or several hours? Yes, the battery is fully drained. Has anybody ever dealt with this issue? I love this car, but I'm still within parameters of the lemon law in my state. I might just end up returning this automobile. :confuse:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    ESP button could be simple, could be serious. Needs to be scanned. Ditto the check engine light. If the check engine light is BLINKING, have the car towed in--if steady light, that just means a code is stored that needs to be read.

The brake light problem could just be a defective switch at the brake pedal.
    You asked several varied questions there... I will try to answer them for you.

"One is this symbol that looks like a car swerving. Is that related to the ESP button being off/on?" Yes and no..... the ESP light serves several purposes. It will light up if you have ESP disabled by pushing the button... but it will also light up if the ESP diagnostics fail. If it is lit when NOT disabled... then there is something wrong. (One common problem is the "Steering Wheel Angle Sensor" which is only installed on ESP vehicles.)

"what does the engine light indicator coming on really mean, besides I need to get it checked?" The CEL (Check Engine Light) means the same thing on all cars... it is federal law. If any of the emmissions controls fails diagnostics, it may light up. If the CEL is *flashing*... this means imminent damage may occour and do not drive the vehicle.

"do you know what happens when the brake lights come on and remain on nearly all night or several hours?" ..."Has anybody ever dealt with this issue?" I assume you do not mean the light on the dash and instead mean the brakeLigts on the rear of the car. This is a VERY common problem when the switch on the brake-pedal is stuck in the ON position. (I am also concerned that a VW dealership claimed to not be aware of this.... there were TWO recalls on these switches)

I fear you made some basic mistakes when purchasing a used car from dealership.
    1) Always INSIST that they provide the owners-manual with the purchase
    2) Always INSIST that they provide all 3 keys with the vehicle (very expensive if you have to get them made!)

All of these issues you describe need to have your car connected to computer to diagnose the problems. It is trivial for a good VW mechanic to use computer to isolate problems using computer.
    selling dealership did not provide the owners manual

It seems to me that most used cars do not have the owner's manual. I have never understood what people do with their owner's manuals. I mean, I know that most don't bother to read it, but why would it not just be left in the glove box? I must be the odd one, as every car I have bought new had an owner's manual in the glove box for as long as I owned it.
    I may be more "odd" than you... I actually READ the owners manual "cover to cover" several times when I purchase a car. This is how I learned about the center sun visor and several other relatively unknown unknown design-points of my Jetta.

In any case, when purchasing from a 'dealership'... it is not unreasonable to ask them to replace a missing owners-manual, Federal Emmissions Warantee and anything else you want them to do AS PART OF THE DEAL. They are often eager to throw in things like free oil-chages for a year just to close a deal.

Many folks are not even aware that the Federal government forces the manufacturer to cover all emmissions-related equipment for up to 120K miles. Virtually anything that will lite up the CEL is coverd under the Federal Emmissions Warantee.

My daughter got a free Catalytic converter at around 100,000 miles on her VW Golf. The dealership wanted to SELL her a new one... but I told her to mention the Federal Emmissions Warantee.
  • jogousajogousa Member Posts: 402
    Most (perhaps all) dealers remove (for obvious reasons) owner's manual from used cars because it may contain name and address of the previous owner - that information dealers do not want to disclose. There are many ways to get a duplicate either for free or for a nominal fee on the internet.
    Really? So that would explain it.

I have to say it is not obvious to me. Not sure why anyone would have their name and address in the owners manual itself :confuse: . I could see maybe there might be other documents stored with the manual that would have that, but why not just get rid of those other documents if the previous owner failed to do so?

Another thing is many other manufacturers make free electronic versions of the manual available online. I know Ford and Mazda do this. VW does not.
    Some owner's manuals (not just maintenance schedule booklets) have initial dealer's stamp with delivery date, VIN number along with the initial owner's data in it...some (used) cars go through auctions and the auctinoneers will remove everything from glove boxes, including radio codes, etc. Oh well...

"Obvious" means that the buyer cannot contact the trade in person and find out how much the dealer gave him/her as a trade in which could be used by the new buyer to bring the price down.

You can get copies of owners manuals on the web, as you've pointed out, both in electronic versions as well as print outs.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The last time I bought a new car (not very recently! :blush:) the salesguy had put my name and address, as well as his name and phone number of course, in my manual before I ever saw it.
  • vettedonvettedon Member Posts: 1
    Have an 02 4 cyl turbo that broke cam key. Cams are now out of time. How to retime cams. Appears the rear chain has to come appart?? please advise. Will try to do the repair at home
    Yes, I get that it is obvious the dealer would not want anything showing who the previous owner was. What was not obvious to me before was that the owners manual would fall into that category.

Now that the mystery of the disappearing owner's manuals has been explained, I guess I'll ask the dealer to provide me with one if I ever buy another used car. Especially if it is a VW, since they are one of the few that, obnoxiously, do not provide free electronic versions.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/120189/article.html
    Yes - do ask them. If anything, they can get one for you and pay for it from the profit of selling you the car.
    Any decent dealer should do it - but - then again, if you don't do it right there and then (when signing the docs), they may just say "deal is a deal" and walk away. Normally, if you don't ask for it right away and they don't make it part of the deal, it's hard to get anything from them afterwards.
    For example, I always ask for a touch up paint, before I sign the docs. Then they have to get it for you later even if it's not in stock.
    The only leverage you may have is if you will be servicing your car at that dealership, they may get it for you as a good will gesture.
    Good luck!
  • revmarketrevmarket Member Posts: 48
    Can you give me a web address for the Mazda manuals online?
    Are you aware that some sates (Such as Pennsylvania) it is the LAW that the dealer must disclose the previous owners name and phone-number.

The intent is that a potential buyer can call the previous owner and ask about the car.... they have nothing to lose so they will tell you all the "gory details" about the car.
    In general, used car sales are subject to FTC Rules and Regulations (not State).
    You can find more details at:
    Federal Trade Commission.
    16 CFR Part 455
    Trade Regulation Rule; Sale of Used Motor Vehicles
    53 FR 17660
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You'll need a detailed factory workshop manual to do this correctly, (Bentley's) or an instructional DVD. It's not something we can easily teach you without diagrams, a special tool list, part #s, torque specs, etc. Given that the consequences of screwing this up are severe, you should have print material in front of you, IMO.

Bentley Manuals for VW
  • badjetta07badjetta07 Member Posts: 3
    Pass, these cars are horrible! my car started giving me problems at 10k, rear brakes, remote control not working, defective tires from the moment I've bought it. Believe people when they tell you that this car gives you problems!
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    thanks for passing along your deep insights, "badjetta07".
    don't you know that "bad" actually means *good* now?

how many days was car unavailable/in-shop?
    please give an example of a major problem if you want us to believe you?
    (seems like there are lots of lying liar trolls in the forums lately who make postings similar to yours.)

"rear brakes" - what problem? was it not fixed efficiently?
    remote-control not working - the key-fob you mean? did the 2nd one work? was it not fixed efficiently?
    and tires?! was a tire defective? did that cause many/any shop-days?
  • wtknght1wtknght1 Member Posts: 5
    How about the fact that the timing belts on the 1.8L Turbo engines keep breaking long before the factory recommend "check" mileage...which completely trashes the engines and leaves the owners stranded on the side of the road. Is that enough of a reason for you? VW will do/has done nothing about this problem. Terrible product.
  • sn7744sn7744 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jetta 2.0 AEG engine that needs the block replaced. I can't find an AEG engine for a reasonable price. Does anyone know if I get a different 2.0 engine code from like a 2001-2002 jetta, can I use just the block and transfer everything else over? I have called various VW places and I keep getting different answers. Any suggestions?
    I assume that your research has revealed to you that in 2000, VW had 2 different 2.0 engines-codes. (AEG and AZG ?) As I recall, one of the big differences between the 2 engines was that one of them had a throttle-cable and the other has "drive by wire". (I beleive one was in German-built cars and the other was in Mexico-assembled vehicles. )

This webpage may help you out.

DIsclaimer: I suspect that you may be "breaking the emmissions laws" by installing an engine which was not in there from the factory.

I bet you would LOVE to find something like this

Have you tried PARTSTRAIN? They are the most complete network of used parts I have ever found.
    hello wtk night one.
    YES an early timing-belt-change requirement is a reason why I would avoid a particular new vehicle. Currently i am shopping for a used/first car for 16 year old and its a big consideration there too.

imho the timingbelt interval should be 100k minimum.

I hadn't heard of early-belt-breakage issue with the 1.8L, but I did hear of oil-sludging issues, with possibly a new requirement for synthetic oil for used 1.8L owners.

I've heard of the belts breaking when they aren't swapped in time, or if the car is parked/stored and belt dries out.
    My jetta TDI wants a belt at 80K but I'm going for 90K! Living on the edge!
  • wtknght1wtknght1 Member Posts: 5
    At least 10 people have emailed me since I initially posted my request for the timing belt breaking issue. All of them have suffered the same fate - belt breaks (long before the 105K recommended) and their engine was trashed. VW has done nothing.
    That certainly makes a lot of sense ;) ...risk destroying your engine to get an extra 10K mi out of a timing belt. :confuse:
    you said ==> "My jetta TDI wants a belt at 80K but I'm going for 90K! Living on the edge! "

Dont forget that you can order up a 100K mile "kit" for your TDI and make your next change-interval 100K miles!

Here is one example

Another example

yet another

And my favorite place to get TDI parts

Whatever you do.... do not try to save a few dollars by NOT replacing one of the supplied items in the "kit". Your existing components WILL NOT survive for another 100K miles if you leave them in there. For example, if you chose to not replace an idler-rollers, when it fails, it will take out your new belt and the engine with it. Another example, if you try to reuse one of the "must replace" stretch-bolts... it will not properly tension and your engine may fall out from under the car.
    I agree with you concern... most people dont realize that it is not the BELT itself that is rated for 40K, 60K or 80K in the older TDIs. The belt-itself in the 100K kits is identicial... it is actually some of the other moving components like bearings within the rollers and tensioner which may not go the distance.

How was this determined? Some folks decided to order-up an older kit and the 100K kit from the factory and inspect the components. (Such as DieselGeek link above) Then they proceded to hand-select even better components to include in their "kit".

Also, The factory 100K parts use a PLASTIC waterpump. The hand-selected "kits" contain a BRASS waterpump. For this reason, the "kits" which are not from VW are actually BETTER than the 100K factory components.
    thanks for all the timingbelt info, folks.
    my 06 TDI has 87k now and runs like a top, but indeed I'll be scheduling the "80k" new-timing-belt/new-waterpump real soon... if the engine gets destroyed in the meantime i will report back here for sure.
  • sportnutonesportnutone Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have instructions to replace
    1999 jetta replace seats cup holder and glove box

JCF
    At 10,575 miles my rear right door would not lock or unlock either with keychain FOB nor with manual switch on the door. Took my car to the VW dealer and the rear door lock remote module was found defective. Since this is not a "common" failure, part wasn't in stock. VW dealer had to special order it: P/N 3B4-839-016-AP
    Having 40k+ miles my 06 Jetta is due for a thorough checkup like changing plugs all kinds of filters which will all cost over $500. Is it possible to do most of this myself or should this first major checkup be done by them. And is synthetic oil necessary in these automobiles?
    Only certain synthetics meet the VW specs. Using conventional oil really does not save anything anyway, since you would presumably want to change it twice as often.

I believe 40K is spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, tire rotation and an oil change. There are also a bunch of inspect/check items. You may also be due for changing brake fluid. There is also a scan of the computer listed, but I don't know that there is much point to that as any problems should presumably turn on a warning light? Ours had CEL on just before the 40K/4 year point and I asked the service rep if the scan they do for that is the same as the one included in their package and he said it was. So I did not bother paying for that a few months later.

I would think you could find a dealer (or an independent shop that knows what they are doing) to to do that stuff for less than $500.

Now that there is no warranty to worry about, I planning to stretch my brake fluid changes to every 3 years, instead of 2. I think that will be often enough in my climate. I also will stretch out the cabin filter replacement interval to at least 3 years.
  • kvw2kvw2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Jetta 1992:GL; 4 Cyl 1.8L; "GAS, FI 8 Valve with a bad Idle Air Control Valve.

Question - Should I bite the bullet and pay new or continue my search for a used part? Can the valve be rebuilt at a lower cost?

Autozone has a new one for $209 and other internet sites have prices from $198 to $250. I've had one quote for a used part for about $100...

I'm disabled and on a budget so because of the cost, I tried getting another one from a junkyard but the engine started revving on it's own after a few minutes of idle time so I took it back and can't find anymore used ones locally.

I was told that any 1990 to 1992 part from a Jetta or Golf would work but still can't find any of those parts locally either. I tried an internet part search and wound up getting quotes for mass air flow meters instead but two quotes came in at about $100... better anyway...

I'm also a bit confused by some internet sites stating that my Jetta (a Vin G) is made in Mexico and thus requires a more expensive part but I think they are confusing that with the Mass Air Flow Meter???

Thanks...
    The very best place for USED parts is CarPart . com

You can search nationwide for just the part you need.
    I have the same problem on my 06 Jetta. But I am about to have the switch replaced(out of my pocket of course)! What botherS me is that when I took it to VW to determine the problem, they never even considered the fact that the brake lights remaining on could be that brake light switch that they had a recall on! Hopefully the switch replacement will help!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    edited February 2010
    You and jeffyscott seem to very knowledgeable about Jettas, so I would appreciate answers to the following questions, please:

1. My daughter has an '02 Jetta with the 2.0 engine and manual transmission, with 60,000 miles. When should the timing belt be changed? I believe the Owners Manual specifies at 105,000 miles. She currently drives about 5,000 miles per year.

2. The coolant has never been changed. If I'm interpreting the Owners Manual correctly, it never needs to be changed, but never is a long time. What do you suggest regarding the coolant?

Finally, I'm considering purchasing a new Jetta 2.5. Does this engine have a timing belt or chain? Is this a durable engine, or is it problematic.
    edited February 2010
    For the timing belt, I don't know what the owners manual says, but it appears that Gates suggests 60K, FWIW: http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=2256&location_id=3487

and on vw.com's schedule, all I see is a check every 40K mi, but not sure how much "checking" can be really done without doing most of the labor that would be required for a replacement anyway:
    http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/findschedules/en/us/

I'm not sure what I'll do with the coolant in our 2.5 as that also does not specify any changes. My Mazda specifies 10 years, 120K mi, so I'll probably go at least that long with the VW.

The 2.5 has a timing chain. It has been a reliable car according to CR, they give it "average" rating for expected reliability. I can not say that about our particular early build 2005...at least everything has been covered under warranty or recall's for us, so far.
    Thank you. I've got another issue you might have some advice. Everytime it rains there is some puddling that occurs on the rear driver-side footwell. The VW people said it has to do with a blockage in the drainage system due to the fact I had a sunroof. There also happens to be a vent on the floorboard of the footwell. Have you experienced this issue? Is it really a drainage problem or does it have to do with the vent? And I need to repair the trunk latch because it doesn't latch properly without several slamming of the trunk. Is it a matter of part replacement or adjustment?
    Have any of you Jetta owners experienced water puddling during heavy rain on the footwell behind the driver's seat? There is an air vent under the seat but asking the VW service rep about the problem, and the response is that this is due to blockage of the water drains which is due to having a sunroof. Any advice as to the problem?
    According to VW, there is usually a problem with the trunk latch not working properly due to I'm guessing wear and tear? But can the problem be fixed with a replacement or a simple adjustment or oiling of the part? Is it possible to do it myself?
    No, we don't have that puddling issue, but we also do not have a sunroof. We also have not had that trunk lid problem.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait longer on the coolant change, as you're doing, and check further on the timing belt.

From your experience, how does your Jetta 2.5 compare with your Mazda, in terms of quality, maintenance and reliability? In other words, which is the better car?
    mr bert, i had a newbeetle with that problem. it did not have a sunroof, but I have heard of the sunroof drains being an issue for other vehicles. For the NB, the
    problem took multiple visits for dealer to diagnose/repair properly but they did figure it out after removing all the rugs and going through a carwash. the issue was a plastic-barrier was misplaced - inside the door, i think it was.
    The Mazda is definitely way better ;) (the Jetta is my wife's car, so she would disagree :) )

Seriously, though...the Jetta is definitely quieter but has had more issues. I think my mazda6 is a bit sportier. I don't really know how the current Mazda6 compares as that is a completely new design and, anyway, is not really close to the Jetta size anymore. I also don't have any experience with the current mazda3, while the former version I'd say the same thing...it was sportier and the VW was quieter. (I had a Mazda3 for a week and 1400 miles on a vacation).

I really think a large part of that difference in the number and significance of problems is that our Jetta was the first year of the new one, while the 2007 Mazda6 was near the end of that version. I think CR has them pretty close in relative reliability.

On maintenance, VW only needs an oil change once per year due to the synthetic being required. Mazda wants me to change every 4 months, but I plan to go with 6 months after warranty ends. I have spent about $260 on maintenance for the Mazda6 in 3 years/24,000 miles. The Jetta was about $500 in first three years. But, Jetta's now come with the first three years of maintenance are free.

Probably about $100-120 of that difference in maintenance cost was because I made the mistake of ordering "20,000 mile maintenance" on the Jetta, rather than specifying exactly what the owners manual calls for. That was the only time I ever did that. The rest of the maintenance schedules are fairly similar, mazda wants the air filter changed a little more frequently and VW wants the plugs changed a little sooner. VW also specifies brake fluid changes every two years, while Mazda does not (I plan to stretch the VW to 3 years and do the same interval with the Mazda, even though it is not in the schedule).
    Thank you for the response. I will have them check it. On an unrelated subject, have you had any problems with the trunk latch? Mine is not functioning properly as it takes several closures to have the trunk properly close. Again the service people said it's a matter of wear and tear normally covered by warranty, but my Jetta being beyond that stage, I may need a new trunk latch. Or is it a simple adjustment?
    Brake pad replacement is upcoming for my 2006 VW Jetta 2.5. Any recommendation on where to get new brake pads inexpensively? Also, what kind to get? Ceramic? This type is supposed to save the rotors, are effective, and no need o f break-in. Also, do I get the pads with sensor attachment or without? Can any service provider do the replacement or does VW need to do the job. The latter would certainly put a dent in my wallet I would safely guess!
    Thanks for your detailed response. Excellent information!