Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu: Problems & Solutions

1656667686971»

Comments

• mr_smithmr_smith Member Posts: 22
    No accidents and I am the original owner. I have no idea what caused this. I guess the body shop it is, that's what a chevy dealer recommended, but I just wanted a second opinion
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited December 2016
    mr_smith said:

Good Morning,

I have a 2014 Malibu LT. The top of the passenger front door rubs on the top of the rear door when opening the front door (mostly the rubber sealings are rubbing). Its gotten to the point where it is difficult to open the front door from inside. Has anybody else that has owned a 2013-2015 Malibu been experiencing this??? Any solutions??

Here is the rubber strip on my Malibu's door. It's also a 2014 like yours. Note its position relative to the metal edge of the door. Is yours out of position against the metal?

Do your doors have this alignment and this gap at the top?

And this is the alignment of that rubber strip on the front edge of the back door. I believe it just snaps onto an edge.

If you can tell what's out of alignment, you might be able to fix it yourself unless it's under warranty.
    Are the door's properly aligned as shown by the gap between the front and rear?

My guess is the vertical rubber strip on the back door has pulled off the edge that's snapped onto and has moved forward. Maybe from the rubber freezing to the metal B-pillar, and that is giving your friction when opening the door.

Good luck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mr_smithmr_smith Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2016
    Yes, I believe you hit the nail on the head. The rubber on my front door is not aligned with the metal as it is in your first pic. My driver side front door is just fine. I don't know if there is a way to just cut a piece of it off or not. See mine below:

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Your passenger door has a different look to the shape than mine. Does your driver side have the same shape as the passenger side?

This is the top edge of the seal from a 90 degree angle at the back of the door.

If your rubber strip hangs over the back, does it fold over the end at the front down by the hinge?
    Maybe it just needs to be pulled forward? This is the view of mine at the front by the hinge.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,