Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Is this a good price for a Civic Hatchback?

newbiebuyer1newbiebuyer1 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2016 in Honda
I have been offered an out the door price of $25,500 for a 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EXL w/ Navigation. Vehicle will be registered in Chicago, Cook County. Is this a good price?

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2016
    Seems like your taxes are 10 to 10.5% there, right?

Backing out 10%, I get a selling price around $23,000. MSRP is $26,135 with destination and TMV is coming in at $25,672. So you're out the door a little bit below the average selling price. That's good.

On a percentage basis, assuming my backward selling price calculation is close, you're about 12% under MSRP. That's good too.

Nice rides, we test drove one a month or so ago. Not convinced about the passenger seat, wish it was as adjustable powered in the XLE as the driver's side is. I was really impressed with the LaneWatch. Honda Sensing wasn't available yet when we were looking.

Good luck and let us know how the negotiating goes.

• DebPDebP Member Posts: 6
    Looking at the 2017 Civic Hatchback EX 

MSRP: $23,635
    offered price of $21,062 + tax/tags

is this a good price? Thanks!!
    Hi @DebP, yeah, that's a good price. It's about 10% off MSRP.

Watch out for any other fees besides tax/tags, especially if you are buying in Florida.
  • DebPDebP Member Posts: 6
    Thanks! We just moved to MA.  Traded in my 2WD EX CRV lease for a AWD EX-L and need a second car.  My husband really liked the Sport trim that was in the showroom, but the EX comes with so much more and there isn't a huge performance difference.  Luckily the touring isn't out yet because it's priced much higher!

There is a doc fee for $300 that was on every MA dealership quote I received, so I guess I am really paying $21,362.  Most of the quotes were over $22k
    Wrong direction this time of year. :)

$300 is only about $250 too much. $700 to $900 doc fees are common in Florida so it could be lots worse.

Enjoy the new ride!.

• s2kroma1s2kroma1 Member Posts: 19
    Started shopping today for a 2017 Civic LX Hatchback Auto Trans. Received a quote from a local dealer here in OH zip 44060 price of $19,427.00 (MSRP $21,335.00). Is this a good deal or not? Thanks in advance.
    Hi @s2kroma1, that quote is about 9% below MSRP, assuming the dealer has the destination ($835) in there.

I think that's pretty good for your area. The True Market Value average price paid there is $20,565.

The usual range is 8 to 12% below MSRP - you're shopping a new ride that hasn't been on the market all that long and the reviews are great. They were going for MSRP here last I looked.

If you want to counter, try 10% off MSRP or $19,202. Or shop the quote around and aim for 12% off, around $18,775. I don't see most of the dealers going that low yet, but I'm often wrong. :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Hello! Once again, Edmunds is partnering with Parents Magazine to help families find their perfect car. If you own one of the below vehicles and have children under the age of 12, we'd love to hear what you think of it.
    Here's a link to the survey - please give us your thoughts no later than March 1, 2017.
    Thanks for your help!

SURVEY LINK: https://goo.gl/forms/wN9bw9FtPqRb2j4a2

Kia Soul (ideally 2017, 2016)
    Chevrolet Bolt (2017)
    Honda Civic (2016-17)
    Hyundai Sonata (2015-17)
    Subaru Crosstrek (2015-17)
    Honda CR-V (2017)
    Toyota Highlander (2017)
    Chrysler Pacifica (2017)
    Subaru Outback (2015-17)