Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee-New Rotors ??????

milleniamillenia Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Jeep
I have a 96 Grand Cherokee with 31K miles. Dealer
is telling me that he has to totally replace the
front rotors as they cannot be resurfaced. Have
had a problem for the past month with brakes not
feeling right.

Is that enough time to damage the rotors beyond
repair ??????

Comments

• gusgus Member Posts: 254
    ¥es, especially depending upon your driving habits. If you ride the brakes a lot or do a lot of fast, hard stopping, you may run the risk of warping & ruining the rotors.

Gus
    Conference Host
  • cdg19cdg19 Member Posts: 15
    I also have a 96 GC with 47,000 miles with the original rotors.
  • jfilakovskyjfilakovsky Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 jgc that had to have the rotors re-cut at 4000, yes 4000, miles. the car is a piece of crap.nothing but problems..steering box was no good out of showroom......abs doesnt work righ ( if i have brakes applied and hit a bump my stopping distance is increased dramatically)
    if you have similar problems e-mail me at filakovsky@aol.com
  • serranoserrano Member Posts: 107
    I've had my share of heartaches with this vehicle as well. Rear axle whine and transfer case whine that I've learned to live with after attempted repairs by the dealer in which they put the panhard rod on backwards. Brakes turned at 11k and 28k and rotors replaced at 19k and 33k. Grease leaking from both sides of the front axle right now. At least it's easy to work on.
    Back to the Japanese-brand vehicles for me. Owned two American-brand cars; no comparison in build quality.

Tom
  • sraffa7sraffa7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a grand cherokee limited with 37,000 miles. I brought it in for routine service and the dealer told me i needed new brake shoes and to replace the rotors. ( no i did not damage or abuse them). I have never heard of such a thing. what do they make them out of ? sawdust!! when i called to chrysler to inquire about the problem they just ignored me. Quality of the vehicle is just plain POOR STEVE
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Jeeps are known for early brake replacement.
    A guy I work with has a cherokee and he goes through brakes regularly.
  • stevebmdstevebmd Member Posts: 1
    have a cherokee sport 1995 with 25000 miles brought car in for routine service and got the same story about needing new rotors for "hot spots
    never had a car that needed rotors befor 50000 miles is this BS or what
  • bucku2bucku2 Member Posts: 1
    Try driving a GMC Yukon ! (Brakes at 30,000 miles)
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I had a 78 VW Scirocco that had scored the disks at 18,000 miles. No, I didn't drive like a maniac, just normal urban driving. Ever since then, I've had my brakes checked about every 10,000 miles on any car I've owned. So, it's not just something unique to Jeep.
  • lavishbabelavishbabe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport.
    I bought it with 60 Miles on it 11/27/98. It has been in the shop for the air conditioner, then we had to replace the fuel pump and now it's going in to replace the brake pads and rotors. I don't think I should have to pay for the #!@#$% Rotors. How long do or are rotors suppose to last?? This is ridiculous. The car has 17,000 miles (I drive to and from boston & ny alot) but give me a break/brake.... and just last night, the friggin lighter broke and has singed or branded my thumb and pointer finger. Does that seem right? Help!
  • skeptic2skeptic2 Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem with my 97 Jeep
    Cherokee. At 15k miles I had an unbelievable
    vibration when braking from about 50 - 60 Mph. I
    took it in and they said my rotors were warped and
    needed to be turned. I got the the line they were
    obviously told to give customers when I asked if it was normal to have to turn rotors at 15k miles, bet you have heard this before "it depends on an individuals driving habits" like its my fault they make a crappy rotor. well I ate the $230 or so it took to repair and went on my way. BUT 10k miles later I get the same insane vibration take it back and guess what! Rotors need to be turned again. I give it to the dealership that they turned for free the second time but I am sure in another 10k miles I will have to REPLACE them because you can only turn rotors so many times. I pulled a service tech
    aside and he said he sees this ALL THE TIME. And
    said it usually happens about the time the warranty expires. Someone’s getting rich turning and selling rotors.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    If teenagers drive it will cause rotors to warp. I bought pads at 22 - 25k miles on my GM cars. My present Camry, driven in mixed highway, and city stop and go has 70,000 miles with the original pads (and of course original rotors). my VW Rabbit was like the JGC - new pads every 22k and rotors warping all the time. I think it has something to do with the original thickness of all the products and how well the rotors are ventilated.
  • projectzx3projectzx3 Member Posts: 256
    had brakes and rotors done at 22,000 miles. i know the damn thing needs it again. i have 39000 miles total on the cherokee now. when my buyers option is up in july they can have it back with worn out brakes! suv's are just too darn expensive to maintain. just bought a focus zx3... when i get 30-35 mpg i'll invest whatever money i save. hasn't snowed appreciably in maryland since i owned it.
  • rlooserloose Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problems with the brake rotors on my '98 Cherokee. There is a TSB on the problem. It seems that they changed the material of the pads in '97. The pad material was changed because pre '97 vehicles had a tendency to squeal allot. The new pad material is softer and apparently leaves some material on the rotors, which causes hot spots, which in turn warps the rotors. The TSB recommends they not only resurface or replace the rotors but also that they go back to '96 pads. Like everyone else I tried to argue with the factory that they should extend that warranty. The basically said forget it. I tried to get them to change their minds but like every other time I talked to them they just insult you and try to make it sound like you are stupid.

The vehicle is now out of warranty so I am free to fix it myself, and correctly. I am planning on putting on after market slotted rotors and carbon fiber pads. Hopefully these will take care of this problem. Although I believe there should be a recall. I am also planning on putting in a slip yoke eliminator kit and new drive shaft. This should take care of the problem with the clunk at stops.

Hope this helps,
    Bloose
  • mm4mm4 Member Posts: 4
    Bloose:

What is a slip-yoke eliminator kit?
  • kight1kight1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had numerous problems with my Jeep Grand Cherokee over the past 30 months. Over twenty different problems . . . in fact, my JEEP was in for repair 49 days the first 18 months I had it. I have had 4 new rotors, 18,000 and 26,000 miles, and had the rotors reworked once - 4,000 miles after that. I now have the same problem 6,000 miles later. It's unbelievable! Chrysler knows there is a problem and has given me an extended warranty but that's not good enough. At this point, Chrysler won't even return my call. Three weeks ago I sent a certified letter to a vice president at Chrysler explainging my situation and have reeived no response.

I am in the process of getting a lawyer. What else is there to do?
  • mm4mm4 Member Posts: 4
    I understand your situation, and totally agree that Chrysler should fix your problems.

In this case, I would probably have given up. It would not be worth my time & money to waste it on trying to get 4 rotors replaced with better ones after trying so hard to get Chrysler to fix them. I would find some very nice aftermarket rotors, and some new pads, and see if that helps. If so, send Chrysler a letter asking them to reimburse you for your new rotors. It is not worth wasting the time for less than $200 in rotors. Also-- they may deny your claim since rotors & brakes are considered standard maintennance items...
  • kensherri1kensherri1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee in May of 1998. In May of 1999 I started getting the steering wheel vibration when applying the brakes. I took it in shortly after that with about 25,000 miles and had to have the BACK rotors replaced and the front turned. In Dec of 1999 had to have all 4 rotors turned, then in first week of Feb had to replace the front rotors at 35,000!!! I would sell this thing now if I could. Same with me when I asked why the rotors had to be replaced -- depends on driving habits and all that crap. My question is this: why the back rotors last June, and also I don't remember the service tech telling me it was the back rotors because I would've asked about that. Last June I contacted Chrysler via letter and copy of receipt and received a call from a bone head that could've cared less about the situation and all he said was they are warranted for 12/12 so I was out of luck. I'm in the process of getting my receipts together and contacting them again. kensherri@mindspring.com
  • catnip2377catnip2377 Member Posts: 42
    We have a 98 JGC and have had the exact same problems with the stupid rotors. They were giving us problems after 15,000 kms. Since the two years we have had the vehicle it has been in for the rotors on at least 4-5 different occassions, they machined the rotors, replaced the rotors and finally after the 5th time the vibrations went away, that of course, after we had to pay for the stupid machining and new rotors. Chrysler should put out a recall and reimburse us! End of story!

I was reading that there was a TSB out for the rotors, how can we get our hands on it? Is it posted on the net?
  • page62page62 Member Posts: 30
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm There are 2 TSBs relating to your problem. There's also an 800 number you can call (but it won't do you any good if you deal in kilometers). Good luck.

By the way, I have a '94 Cherokee. Just replaced the front pads for the first time at 67,000 miles! Didn't need to turn the rotors (no major scoring or pulsing). Haven't touched the rear drums yet. Go figure...

Perhaps my Jeep thinks it's a Toyota!!!
  • scottnnayscottnnay Member Posts: 1
    1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I've had it since it was new. No problems until I needed the brakes replaced the FIRST time at 20,000 miles. Problems EVER since. Had them turned or replaced 5 times in the last 8 months. The last time (February) they worked on it, they replaced the pads, the calipers, the rotors ALL NEW. Less than 700 miles later it was back in with the same problem -- pulsating bump when stopping and irritating chirp from the right front wheel keeping time with tire rotation. (The sound is what tipped me off the first time this happened). They've fixed it, again, even though it is now out of warranty (only 39,000 miles on it), but stipulated that it was a "good will" gesture and won't be doing it again. Checked on the "lemon law" for California, but since it is beyond the 18 months and 18,000 miles don't have anywhere to turn, it looks like. Ready to trade it in even though I've LOVED the car and we use it for camping, etc. Is this specific to Jeeps or a problem with SUVs in general?
  • spokanespokane Member Posts: 514
    Have you checked the RF wheel bearing? I have also seen an instance in which the spindle was machined too small. The bearing ID was just a bit too loose on the spindle; causing looseness even though the bearing looked and felt OK. (Excessive darkening or thinning of the wheel bearing grease is a clue here.) A bearing problem, of course, can cause erratic disk-to-caliper behavior. Good luck.
  • lmdslmds Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Laredo and bought it new. Currently it has 48,000 miles on it and I have had it in the shop for a variety of problems: new brakes and rotors twice -- once at 25,000 miles and again at 36,500. For the first set of brakes, the dealer told me on three separate ocassions that I did not have a brake problem. When your steering wheel and steering column pulsate when you brake and the rear of your car makes a grinding noise people can hear a mile away - you have a brake problem. needless to say my car was under warranty and they wouldn't fix it. Spent my own money and went to a brake shop. 5,000 miles later brand new rotors had to be shaved. At 36,500 dealer said I needed new front and rear brakes and rotors - key its not under warranty anymore.
    Next problem, water leak or should I say water leaks...First water leak took two weeks for them to figure out it was a water leak, 6 months later another on. Both water leaks in the front--one on the driver side floor the second on the passenger side floor. By the way, water leaks aren't covered under extended ($1,100) warranties, atleast according to my "friendly" 5-star service shop.
    Next problem, electric locks and windows fixed twice already and in the shop again for the same problem.
    My problem is the truck and their less than friendly and competent service department.
    What's a girl to do?
This discussion has been closed.