Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MINI Cooper MPG-Real World Numbers

2»

Comments

• puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Buy 1/.2 tank 89 octane and fill other half w/93 octane = 91.
  • jeffreyojeffreyo Member Posts: 1
    Puffin, the issues with the transmissions are largely confined to the CVTs. Get a manual, avoid the issues and have more fun driving.

About fuel mileage, I have a '04 JCW and have gotten as good as 39 mpg and as low as less than 6 mpg (the computer only goes as low as 6). It all depends on how you drive.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My MPG is very consistent...about 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy and 31 mpg was the best ever on the flats of Nevada. I have an S, 6-speed with modified supercharger pulley.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited February 2014

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    My MPG is very consistent...about 27 mpg in mixed city/hwy and 31 mpg was the best ever on the flats of Nevada. I have an S, 6-speed with modified supercharger pulley.

Is your mpg still the same 2 years later? What's your 0-60 time?

In a few months, the new larger-size Mini will come out. And even with the standard engine it's supposed to go 0-60 in c. 7.5 seconds or less (auto or manual) while getting c. 30 mpg in the city and c. 42 on the highway. That's about 2 seconds faster with the standard engine than the 1st and 2nd generation of Mini, while getting significantly better mpg in a significantly larger car.

I wonder if they kept the size the same, kept the acceleration the same, kept the power the same, etc., what kind of mpg they could have achieved with a new engine. It might need to be only a 1.0 liter turbo, like Ford has put in the new Fiesta, and then it might get something like 45 mpg highway--or maybe even more.

But anyway, I think a larger Mini is actually a good idea, since it's not only more functional but also safer, and so can appeal even to people like me, someone who currently drives an Accord. In any case, I'm looking forward to some mpg reports for the new Mini sometime in the next 3-6 months.....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Maybe it's my head cold :)

At what point does a larger Mini cease being a "mini" heh

• ljmattox1ljmattox1 Member Posts: 10

I bought my MINI Cooper S in February, 2012.

My week's driving is about 375 miles, mostly highway, and I average 36mpg. Highest for a full tank was 38.7.

Now at 52,000 miles, very good experience with the car.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Good job on that mileage. I had a friend with a Mini who always complained about his Mini MPG, but always went on about how "zippy" his Mini was. Well, yea... drive it like a sports car all the time and there IS a cost for that ;)

People with the "S" model or JCW will get considerably fewer MPG than those with the normally aspirated engines, as a rule. So when you say "Mini" you really need to specify, so that you aren't comparing two somewhat different cars.

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Just bought a 2014 hardtop 2-door with the turbo 1.5 (manual shift), and even though I have been bombing around in it at 100 mph half the time, the first two tanks have been 35-36 mpg. LOVING this car so far. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Good move buying the manual transmission! Makes all the difference in that car. That's great mileage, too. My older Mini tops out at about 28 mpg.
    There was no way I was buying a Mini with an automatic, so no danger there! This is the first car I have had with rev-matching, which I am still getting used to. This tank is mostly done, the readout says this one was another 36 mpg...have to check and see how accurate it is.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Actually ended up being 35 mpg for that tankful...very reasonable considering the high fun factor of this car and the fact that I am not trying at all to baby it for better mileage.