Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Belt Squeal on Startup- Tensioner?

dano_dano_ Member Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Hyundai
My daughter has 2010 Elantra that squeals on startup. It's coming from the serpentine belt when the AC is on. It's worse when the weather is cold.

So it could be the belt, the AC compressor or the tensioner... My question is... what is the most common problem? Is there a known issue with the tensioner? Is there a way to measure for the proper tension?

Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Belt noise can be tricky, and have a number of causes. The main ones are:

1. Old glazed belt
    2. Misalignment within the belt system
    3. Problem with a tensioner

One way to tell would be to use a water spray bottle and squirt the grooved side of the belt. If the noise goes away, that's an alignment issue. If it gets louder, that's a tensioner issue.

If the belt is old, glazed and cracked, that's the first thing you do anyway. Replace it. If it's the original belt, then it's time already.
  • dano_dano_ Member Posts: 3
    Thanks! Water spray... we will give it a try!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    EPDM Belts...http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/tools-and-sales-aids/belt-wear-diagnosis/neoprene-vs-epdm-belts

To inspect these belts you need to use a tool which measures the space between the ridges. See the link on the right hand side of the linked page. Using water can make the sound change but not necessarily prove what is wrong. It's very likely the belt is just worn and needs to be replaced. The tensioner needs to be inspected at that time and determined if it is still serviceable.
  • dano_dano_ Member Posts: 3
    Does this car use two belts? I don't have access to the car right now so I was looking at some videos. And the tensioners appear to be manual! Is that right?
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I had a similar problem with my 2012 Santa Fe. It was the original belt (with almost 100,000 miles on it) so I had it replaced.