Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BEST Summer tires

RonventRonvent Member Posts: 1
edited December 2016 in Mazda
Can a set of tires be TOO GOOD for a car? Assuming correct fit, etc, with ride comfort and cost being no object, can some very highly rated tires actually harm the handling/safety of the Mazda 3?

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited December 2016
    You could get tires that have a speed rating that's higher than you need for your vehicle, but I don't think that would affect safety/handing. Found a Consumer Reports article about higher speed rated tires not having as long a tread life, so you'd be replacing them more often. But in a Mazda 3 you're not going to need higher speed rated tires, so even though you say "cost being no object", why throw money away?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/10/h-rated-tires-with-shorter-life-spans-become-more-common/index.htm

You certainly don't want to go with "cheap-o specials", but you're probably going to run into as many opinions on "best summer tires" as there are people. For what it's worth, our choice for a long time has been Cooper CS5's. I've toyed with trying out Michelins, but for the difference in cost, my tire shop buddy says I wouldn't really see enough of a difference to warrant the cost. Some folks swear by Michelins though. :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    Ronvent said:

Can a set of tires be TOO GOOD for a car? Assuming correct fit, etc, with ride comfort and cost being no object, can some very highly rated tires actually harm the handling/safety of the Mazda 3?

If you haven't had summer tires before, the difference can be shocking. Handling characteristics may change, but nothing should be unsafe, unless one is oblivious to how the car reacts.

I recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sports. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Ronvent said:

Only if you try and use them in cold weather - they will have much less grip, you could be unpleasantly surprised.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    kyfdx said:

Ronvent said:

If you haven't had summer tires before, the difference can be shocking. Handling characteristics may change, but nothing should be unsafe, unless one is oblivious to how the car reacts.

I must be related to Kreskin ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,139
    PF_Flyer said:

kyfdx said:

Ronvent said:

I must be related to Kreskin ;)
    They will change your life! (unless you drive a Nissan Versa)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator