Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• dodabekdodabek Member Posts: 4
    stever said:

HI @dodabek, TMV is close to invoice ($28,819) so your selling price is about $1,400 below invoice and a bit better than 10% off your MSRP. We show MSRP to be $30,645, go figure.

If you have time, you may want to wait another week or ten days and try for 12% off MSRP. That would mean a selling price of $26,950, another $400 or so off. I see about 88 EX-Ls near you on our inventory link so there seems to be plenty around, unless you are set on a certain color.

So, yeah, fair price, might be able to do a little better.

Thank you for your guidance and you are fast. I will negotiate on cutting the price.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2016
    houston66 said:

I am in Houston. Just got a OTD price from local dealer. Is the deal ok? Thanks for kindly help.
    By the way, what's the nitrogen tires fee?
    VEHICLE INFORMATION
    2016 CR-V lx MSRP: 24,645.00
    Vehicle Cost Breakdown
    Your Selling Price = 20,307.00
    destination = 900.00
    nitrogen tires = 199.00
    SUB TOTAL = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Trade in Allowance - ​
    Trade Difference = 21,406.00
    ​ ​ Sales Tax - 6.25% ​ 1,337.88
    Trade Pay Off = ​
    ​ ​ Inventory Tax - .25% + 45.02
    ​ ​ Documentary Fee + 150.00
    ​ ​ Title, Inspection, License Fee + 185.00
    Total drive out price​ = 23,123.89

Hey neighbor, if you've skimmed back in this discussion, you may have noticed a few comments about how Houston has gotten better on Honda pricing in the last year. Dallas still has a little edge I think, but not much.

First off, what we breathe is ~78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen is, in my opinion, worthless for passenger car tires. It's certainly not worth $199 and if I saw that on a quote, I'd be inclined to scratch that dealer off my list and try another or even look at a different brand.

My feeling is that if the dealer is going to try to rip me off on something that dumb, just wait until I have to take it in for service. It's a royal RIP-OFF.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the numbers. :)

The True Market Value average price paid for Houston is $22,219 (that's with the destination but before taxes and fees). That's about $1,000 below invoice and ~10% off MSRP.

So your selling price is good, about 14% below MSRP and around $2,000 off invoice.

I'd do that deal - I guess the stupid nitrogen fee is a good part of their profit. But tell them it's junk and round your OTD counter-offer down to $23,000 even. Maybe they'll give you a breath of fresh air and take the counter. :)
  • houston66houston66 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Stever,
    Thank you so much for spending time to answer my question. It's really helpful. I will try to ask dealer to use regular tires instead of nitrogen tires. It's interesting, I got another quote from Gillman Honda and they also list nitrogen tires for $399. It looks like a common trick for dealers to use nitrogen tires to make profit Hopefully I will get the OTD price of $23000 or less. Thanks again :)
    edited December 2016
    It's the same tires, just different "air".

We've seen the same profit padding over the years with paint protection, fabric protection, aftermarket car alarms, VIN etching, Lo-Jack, extended warranties, free oil changes, bumping up the interest rate on loans (payment packing), pin striping, prep fees (dealers are paid to prep cars by the automakers) and who knows what else.

Some people insist that their new car be delivered to their home so they can avoid most of the junk selling in the "F&I office" when they go to pay.
  • sprasanna86sprasanna86 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I live in Sunnyvale 94085 and I have been getting quotes for 2016 Honda CRV EX AWD last week . The best offer I got so far is around 24000 through the internet manager from one of the dealerships. Am trying to negotiate with dealers in my area. Is this is a decent deal. Am trying to negotiate for 23000$. 
    Hi @sprasanna86, the "book" numbers for your zip are invoice, $26,526, MSRP, $28,195 and TMV is $25,582.

So $24,000 is good about $2,500 off invoice and that's about 14% off MSRP.

$23k would be a bit more than 18% off MSRP. That's within reason.

Just have to find a "reasonable" dealer. :)

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
  • dcv_2002dcv_2002 Member Posts: 25
    Welp. Put 4 new tires on the '04 Odyssey. Also fixed (permanently) the passenger side window that slid into the door. The driver of said Odyssey is currently happy with the vehicle, so I probably will actually have time to shop for a '17 CRV or something different/else. My '06 Civic just went over 237k this week. :open_mouth:
    edited December 2016
    lol @dcv_2002, I put new tires on my Grand Caravan a couple of months ago and immediately doubled its value. :)

You guys are "due" but it's nice not having to have a car right away. The new CR-V is already showing up at a few dealerships, according to rumor. You can have fun checking them out.
  • quattro06quattro06 Member Posts: 1
    2016 CR-V SE FWD $23,200 OTD(Taxes,tag, everything included), No trade, No money down. In tampa,FL area. Should I go for lower?
    Hi @quattro06, the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $23,050. Looks like your taxes are at least 10%. So I think your selling price is around $20,880. That sounds too low, since that would be ~$3,800 under the invoice of $24,693.

If my backward math is right, grab it!
  • srinewjerseysrinewjersey Member Posts: 2
    quattro06 said:

2016 CR-V SE FWD $23,200 OTD(Taxes,tag, everything included), No trade, No money down. In tampa,FL area. Should I go for lower?

Hello, I am looking for a 2016 CR-V SE model in NJ. Your price appears to be a good deal. Can you pls tell me your dealer name so that I can work with my dealer here and do a price match... Thanks!
  • srinewjerseysrinewjersey Member Posts: 2
    quattro06 said:

Hi, I am looking for new CR-SE in New Jersey. Your price seems to be a good deal. May I know your dealer name so that I can work with my dealer to do a price match.. Thanks!
    For those shopping year end deals, if your price isn't "exceptional", the new 2017s are out and it may be worth it to compare numbers. We are already seeing reports of deals (well, one report), and the 2017 have just been officially for sale for one day.
  • joekansasjoekansas Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know if I am getting a good end of year deal on a 2016 Honda CR-V EX in Kansas City, MO area.

MRSP: $28,295
    Dealer Price: $24,800
    Admin Fee: $289
    OTD Price: $25,089

Is this a good price or does it seem like a better deal is to be had? Thanks

• joekansasjoekansas Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for that. Posted it twice. Just joined and already screwing it up.
    edited December 2016
    lol, welcome Joe, sometimes that just happens. I'll zap the dupe.

TMV for your area is $25,521. That's about $1,000 below invoice and ~10% below MSRP.

Your quote is about 11% below MSRP.

For more aggressive areas, we'd see a higher percentage off MSRP, up to 15% for the year end. You may want to shop the quote and see if there's any more room there - maybe $500 or $600 lower.
  • mihcrc2mihcrc2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Stever -

We are looking to buy a 2016 honda CR-V EX awd in the Chicago area zip code 60171

Here is what the dealer offered us today, can you please let me know your thoughts?

2016 Honda CR-V AWD
    vehicle price: $28295.00
    "Dealer Name" savings: $2,507.00
    Customer Rebate: $900.00
    "Dealer Name" price: $24,888.00

Sales Tax: $2,468.46
    Tag/Reg Fee: $101.00
    Title Fee: $95.00
    Other: $15.00
    Documentation Fee: $169.27
    Electronic Filling: $25.00
    Balance Due: $27,761.73

Our total out of the door cost would be $27,761.73, and we didn't negotiate any package, should we have?

Also I have read from other people that the extended warranty is negotiable, what would be a fair price for the longest extended warranty they offer? (not sure what they have to offer since we didn't get there)

I was also curios how do you find the True market value, the invoice and MSRP for each model?

Thank you an advance for taking the time to read my post, and respond.

Any advice is really appreciated, since I am going to buy a new car for the first time.

Hi @mihcrc2, welcome to the forums,

The True Market Value average price paid for your area is the $25,809. So your selling price is $1,000 under than and about $300 below invoice. And your quote is about 12% off MSRP.

Chicago is kind of average for deals. I think your doc fees are a bit high - $25 to push a button on a computer to efile?

Try a counter of $800 off the OTD number. That would put you at 15% off MSRP and that would be a better deal for the last week of the year.

Any dealer packages (paint protection, oil changes, or whatever) typically are padded with profit and aren't worth it. Profit is fine and there's not much in a new car sale, but most of the dealer packages are just junk.

I would shop online for a genuine Honda extended warranty. Once you have a quote or three, invite the dealer to meet it. Actually what I'd do is wait a couple of years and think about whether you really need one.

For TMV, MSRP, etc., you can use my TMV link above and change the style to see other numbers.

• mihcrc2mihcrc2 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much!
  • eshan_tandoneshan_tandon Member Posts: 7
    Hi Stever,
    I am planning to buy Honda CRV-LX,AWD in Washington DC area with zip code 20148.
    This is what the dealer offered me, what do you think?
    MSRP:$25,045
    Internet price: $21,194
    Dealer Fee: $699
    Total: $21,893
    Here is the OTD price (Zip code: 22043):
    2016 Honda CR-VLX 4dr All-wheel Drive
    MSRP: $25,045
    Discount: $3,851
    Sonic Price: $21,194
    Freight: $900
    Processing Fee: $699
    Tax: $946.91
    Tag: $69.75
    VA State Business Tax: $38.75

Out The Door price is $23,847.41*
    @stever !!!
    edited December 2016
    Hi @eshan_tandon, thanks for bumping this one. I overlooked it yesterday (got company, been traveling....).

Invoice is $24,420, MSRP is $25,945 and the TMV for NoVa is $22,913. All those numbers include the destination - your "Sonic" price doesn't. So the real selling price before fees is $22,094.

Looks like your quote is about $800 below TMV which is okay, but the high processing fee hammers that.

Considering that DC is typically a hotbed for aggressive Honda dealers, I'd shoot for a selling price around $22,000 (i.e., ~$2,500 below invoice, ~15% below MSRP), plus taxes and fees, but no processing fee. That OTD number is more like $23,100.

• adamr1adamr1 Member Posts: 43
    I was thinking of waiting for a 2017 but the prices on the 2016s look awful good right now. Plus the whole first year issues with the 2017s. I wonder if prices will get even lower the next few days, I am hoping they do.
    @stever, thanks for the inputs. I was able to negotiate the price to 23,600 $ OTD (did not close the deal yet). Hopefully will be able to get a price down more over the next 4-5 days.
    Great, you're moving in the right direction!
    @stever I have another question, can the MSRP be different on the same vehicle across different dealers? I was researching on Honda CRV, EX (White with beige interior, AWD) I see MSRP ranging from 27,395 to 28,295. How can that be possible?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,924

@stever I have another question, can the MSRP be different on the same vehicle across different dealers? I was researching on Honda CRV, EX (White with beige interior, AWD) I see MSRP ranging from 27,395 to 28,295. How can that be possible?

Factory installed accessories is one possible answer.

Another could be a price bump in the middle of the model year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,590
    Or, one price includes destination, and the other one doesn't?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I put quote requests earlier this month. Many dealers are contacting me now to see if I am willing to purchase before the 31st so there does seem the urgency. One dealer said they can go lower if I do it by the 31st. I have been using this website as a guide for my prices. The targets on here seem to be updated frequently here.

http://www.tellmethebest.com/honda.html
  • MikeD-BHMMikeD-BHM Member Posts: 4
    Try this one too and subtract an additional $900 more for factory to dealer incentive for end of year clearance.

http://www.car-buying-strategies.com/dealer-invoice/honda-cr-v-prices.html
    Rock and Roll! - it's deal time. B)
  • njhonda246njhonda246 Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2016
    Hi all - any thoughts on CRV EX AWD 2015 preowned vs. 2016 new. Which is the better value or which has room for negotiation and by how much.

Was looking for a preowned 2015 low miles but couldnt find any being offered locally so started looking at new 2016s since the 2017 has hit the lots. 2016 new is a little higher than I was looking to pay OTD, but started to convince myself it's in the running b/c of the 0.9% APR. Gut says 2015 but wanted thoughts on better value, or if you think I could get a little more off.

ZIP 08052

2015 CRV EX AWD 15k miles (not certified, at an Acura)
    vehicle 20995
    doc fee 498
    registration 411
    tire recycling 7.5
    OTD with Tax 23381
    1.9% APR

2016 CRV EX AWD NEW
    vehicle 24998
    protection package 449 (wheel locks, splash guards, cargo tray, saying first two items are bolted on and are a must-take)
    doc fee 396
    registration 411
    tire recycling 7.5
    OTD with Tax 28016
    0.9% APR
    The temperatures are rising:
    Got an offer Honda CRV- EX, AWD, White with beige interiors Zip Code (20148)
    25,700 $ OTD
    Waiting for tomorrow!
    Thanks @stever !!!!
  • sk032013sk032013 Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2016

The temperatures are rising:
    Got an offer Honda CRV- EX, AWD, White with beige interiors Zip Code (20148)
    25,700 $ OTD
    Waiting for tomorrow!
    Thanks @stever !!!!

I got an offer for 2016 Honda CRV AWD EX CVT - $25,500 + fees. Near Sacramento, CA.
  • aquatech1965aquatech1965 Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2016 Honda CRV AWD EX in queens, ny for 25,432 plus fees and tax. 28,005 OTD .Mountain Air Metallic color.0.9 apr 60 months.
    Thank you for all your advise.
    Congrats!
    stever said:

Congrats!

@stever
    Below is quote i got, Please let me know if this is good deal.

2016 Honda CR-V AWD EX:

Zip Code: 95670

Selling Price - $24,582.00
    Wheel Locks & Bodyside Moulding - $482.50
    Sales Tax - $2,137.28
    License & Registration - $265.00
    Documentation Fee - $80.00
    DMV Electronic Registration Fee - $29.00
    CA Tire Fee - $8.75

TOTAL "OTD" PRICE - $27,584.53
    edited December 2016
    The fees are okay.

Invoice is 26,526, MSRP is $28,195 and the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $25,340.

So your selling price is about $2,000 under invoice and ~13% below MSRP.

The locks and moldings price is inflated - MSRP per this dealer site is $273 for both, and they'll sell em for $238 plus shipping and tax.

Other than that minor grumble, pretty good numbers.
    edited December 2016
    @njhonda246, looks like we overlooked your last post about comparing the 2015 and 2016,

Did you make a decision yet?

And what did you decide, @adamr1, rhe 2016 or wait and watch how the 2017s shake out?

Did we miss anyone else?
    edited December 2016
    sk032013 said:

stever said:

Congrats!

@stever
    Below is quote i got, Please let me know if this is good deal.
    >

@stever - Can you share your inputs pls
    Here you go.

Sometimes people post while you (or they) are composing or editing and stuff gets skipped.
    stever said:

Here you go.

Sometimes people post while you (or they) are composing or editing and stuff gets skipped.

@stever - Thanks for your time.
    stever said:

The fees are okay.

Invoice is 26,526, MSRP is $28,195 and the True Market Value average price paid for your area is $25,340.

So your selling price is about $2,000 under invoice and ~13% below MSRP.

The locks and moldings price is inflated - MSRP per this dealer site is $273 for both, and they'll sell em for $238 plus shipping and tax.

Other than that minor grumble, pretty good numbers.

>

@stever - Thanks for your time.
    My pleasure. It's fun spending other people's money. ;)
  • chun8143chun8143 Member Posts: 21
    Just a quick question, i got my crv ex a few weeks back. At the time of my purchase, the dealer offered to install the rear parking sensors for me for $500 installation cost plus another $228 for the actual sensor parts. I didnt accept the offer and want to know now how can i shop around to find a place with cheaper installation cost?
    Besides a different Honda dealer, I'd check with a "car stereo" shop. They are used to wiring up remote cams, alarms and other gizmos.

I'd personally prefer that a dealer do it, since you are "cutting" into the wiring and if something goes haywire, you'd be more likely to be able to get Honda to cover it. But it may just be a plug and play part although some programming may be necessary too.
  • njhonda246njhonda246 Member Posts: 12
    @stever thanks for following up.

On the 2015 EX with 16k miles, was able to get them to $22,700 out the door. They are looking into whether Honda can do the Service Bulletin items as a courtesy since the car is at an Acura (therefore no additional warranty).

No progress on price with the 2016.

No decision yet. Did feel the vibration issue in both years and given I commute 1 hour each way daily, I could foresee it giving me a headache as it shakes in the headrest. Hesitant to purchase without feeling what it feels like post Honda fix. However, still not ruled out.

Appreciate thoughts on pricing and thoughts on taking the risk of purchasing if the service it completed. Not sure how much it will lower MPG, into the high 20s?
    edited December 2016
    Yikes, lousy commute.

Service bulletins (aka TSBs) aren't like recalls and dealers won't address TSBs unless the car is under warranty and the customer complains, and they can reproduce the problem. Otherwise they won't get reimbursed by the factory, and even then, the manufacturers low-ball the dealer on warranty repair costs.

If you can feel the vibes now, you'll always have that nagging in the back of your mind.

Most cars are pretty good these days. I'd go test drive some other brands or revisit that RAV4. You may still decide on the CR-V, but you'll at least know what you're getting in to. Unless you need the room, I bet the Accord you were shopping would be a better ride and better on gas.
    @stever
    Getting a final deal of 25,700 OTD for, Honda CRV EX AWD White With Beige interiors
    Zip code: 20148
    One of the dealers has 7 (same model, same color, same interior) of them in his inventory, but he is not ready to reduce even a single cent more. Should I wait more or is this pretty much the best I can get?
    I am still waiting to hear back from a few dealers. From what I read the month won't end until Tuesday for dealer sales.