Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus offered me $1400 extra to make a car CPO

jlee124jlee124 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Lexus
I contacted the local Lexus dealership the Thursday before Christmas offering them $27,200 for a 2014 Lexus ES 350 with 17,000 mi (no nav). Salesman called me, said because the car was recently received by dealership, they did not have a chance to do the CPO work on it yet and it was possible to get that price if I was willing to not make the car a CPO. I agreed and we decided to meet the next day.

Next day went to the dealership and ended up buying the car for $27,500 without CPO (they offered me $500 more than CarMax for my trade it, so I was happy even though purchase price was $300 more than my offer). The only surprise was when he said he would make the car a CPO if I was willing to pay $1400 more.

I declined that CPO option but I am wondering if I made the right choice. Sounds to me like they did all the CPO work (ie checking the batteries, etc) and the only thing they were selling was the warranty (and the next four scheduled services, which is included on every Lexus CPO).

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,175
    jlee124 said:

I contacted the local Lexus dealership the Thursday before Christmas offering them $27,200 for a 2014 Lexus ES 350 with 17,000 mi (no nav). Salesman called me, said because the car was recently received by dealership, they did not have a chance to do the CPO work on it yet and it was possible to get that price if I was willing to not make the car a CPO. I agreed and we decided to meet the next day.

Next day went to the dealership and ended up buying the car for $27,500 without CPO (they offered me $500 more than CarMax for my trade it, so I was happy even though purchase price was $300 more than my offer). The only surprise was when he said he would make the car a CPO if I was willing to pay $1400 more.

I declined that CPO option but I am wondering if I made the right choice. Sounds to me like they did all the CPO work (ie checking the batteries, etc) and the only thing they were selling was the warranty (and the next four scheduled services, which is included on every Lexus CPO).

How much extra warranty do you get with the CPO? That's really where you have to do the math. If you plan on taking it to Lexus for service, the four services aren't a small matter, either.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator