Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The Dithering Throttle - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited January 2017 in Honda
imageThe Dithering Throttle - 2016 Honda Civic Long-Term Road Test

A long road trip to Oregon exposed a subtle throttle surge when our 2016 Honda Civic is driven at constant speed on an absolutely level road.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tbba0289tbba0289 Member Posts: 2
    Honda has a software update available for this that alleviates the issue. http://www.civicx.com/threads/cvt-surging-up-and-down.1269/
  • Options
    longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Not too impressed with the Honda dealers Edmunds has been taking this car to for service...this TSB/update has been out since mid-March.
  • Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863

Not too impressed with the Honda dealers Edmunds has been taking this car to for service...this TSB/update has been out since mid-March.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that TSB's are more "cheat sheets" for dealers if the customer directly asks about a problem. Its not like a Recall where the customer is notified. So, if you don't mention it as a problem, the dealer won't fix it for you...
  • Options
    drex2drex2 Member Posts: 24
    I think that depends on the dealership. My Honda dealership notified me about the TSB for the audio system (we go waaay back). I had heard about it through an online forum and decided to forego it since I wasn't having the problem (the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach). I told that to the service tech when he called me, but he recommended having it done anyway.

As for the "dithering throttle", my Civic Touring has just under 12,000 miles and I haven't experienced anything like Dan describes. Since Honda released a TSB and a respected auto journalist reported that he experienced it, it's clearly a real problem, but apparently doesn't affect all units. And since it doesn't affect all units, it must be something that can be solved on the affected units.