Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura MDX 2017 - IR film with window tint worth it?

general101general101 Member Posts: 5
edited December 2016 in Acura
Just signed up for an Acura MDX 2017 standard version! $41800 + $3K TTL + $1000 in add-on so far.

Q1: Dealer has an option to do a full IR window tint. For 4 windows + rear windshield, it comes to about $440 whereas regular tinting for just 2 front windows comes to $199 (the back windows and rear windshield are already tinted).

Has anyone done the Infrared window tinting and is it worth it? Does it work? (I dont mind paying for it if it really works and cuts out all the heat compared to regular tinting).

Q2. Also they are offering something called Blue Steel Protection - some kind of protection plan for exterior and interior. This comes to around $150 if it I get the IR package. Has anyone got this and is it worth it?

Please let me know ASAP if you have any input. I have to make a decision on this today:)

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Personally I'd pass on any "protection plan". Your car's paint shouldn't need it and if you're worried about spills in the cabin you can apply a scotchguard treatment on your own for a lot less than $150.

As for tinting the side windows, the effectiveness is tied to your expectations. Most solar gain comes from the front and rear windshields, not from the side windows. I'd say that any legal level of tinting is probably more for privacy than repelling significant levels of heat. If you're really worried about the cabin heating up while the car is parked, a foldable sunshade will do a pretty good job of it.

So, short answer, side window tinting will have an effect but not as much as you might think.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,228
    Short answer: Say no to the extras

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you for the input, appreciate it!. I will skip the paint and interior protection plan with the dealer - they offered something called BLUE STEEL PROTECTION plan and I see no information online on this. So it does not appear to trust worthy.

** Their other offer of "ceramic tint" appears to priced close to what an outside shop would do it for. $440 for all windows and rear windshield. However the brand they are using GEOSHIELD DARK MATTER CERAMIC. this does not appear to be as popular as 3M or LLumar. Anyone has used this/and has comments?
    http://stores.geoshieldusa.com/dark-matter-ceramic-5/

(I prefer the dealer to do the tinting instead of an outside shop to avoid any damage to the new car; the dealer will do the tinting and then deliver which holds them accountable)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good point about the "warranty" - I figured I'd rather have an indy shop do it because they might be more interested in customer satisfaction than the dealer (and they'd have lots of choices). Living in the sun here in NM, there's a lot of tint shops around.

I bet the dealer contracts with a tint shop to do the work though.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback.