Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Her rates won't go down till about 25. It's a real wallop to insure a young driver. Much worse for boys.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later. Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B) I have the hands of a surgeon.
    I've been known to be a bit "frugal" from time to time. The wiper blades on my Mercury Mariner chatter like a lovestruck baboon. I've actually thought a light angler incesion along the bottom of the blade may provide better results. If I'm still typing in the next couple of days, it means I still have my thumbs... and the "operation" a success.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I carry an umbrella policy with State Farm. Vehicle and personal liability coverage up to $1 million. Probably overkill. A friend got sued and lost quite a bit from a car accident. I believe it runs about an extra $400 a year. Thinking of dropping it.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    edited January 2017
    stickguy said:
    insurance certainly varies wildly. I think I am about $2,400 too. Thankfully, NJ is no where near as bad as it used to be. That though is for 3 cars, all full coverage, and includes a (recently turned) 21 YO daughter. So overall, not complaining. I am, however, looking forward to 1.5 years from now when she graduates, and I booted her from the policy. She will need a car of her own, in her name, and insurance. So I might be able to get me and the wife on AARP or some such and pay half what I pay now. One of the many $ savings to come when she gets out of my wallet (offset of course by losing a tax deduction, but overall, I will be way ahead!)
    Quite similar to my situation stickguy. Three cars. My daughter turned 21 in April. Daughter going to Grad school, so looking at another 2.5 years of tuition.  :'(
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I didn't realize that FL auto insurance was so high. My 3 cars with high limits just renewed for $1472.00/year.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976

No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later.

Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B)

I have the hands of a surgeon.

Sounds more like the hands of a chiropractor doing a neck crack!

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646
    Michaell said:

Michaell said:

Roughly $2400/yr for the Outback and the Jetta here in Colorado.

I don't pay near that on four vehicles. Do you have all sorts of extras like collision, comprehensive or full replacement value policies.

Maybe I'm in a good zip code.
    Collision and Comprehensive on both. Rental car and uninsured motorist. 100/300 limits.

Metro Denver is becoming an expensive place to live, in all respects.
    Interesting, I've got similar coverage/limits on two cars and just collision at the same level on the other two.

I think I'm up to about $1500 a year on the bunch. One thing that gets me a break is I combine car with home/farm ins. The latter insurance has been creeping up because of the product liability I carry. Maybe that's how they make their money, give me a break on one and jack up the other.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

It seems Florida insurance rates are high because of all the uninsured drivers and all the accidents. We were out for about a 60 minute drive the other day, and saw 3 car transport trucks filled with cars that had been in accidents...they all looked brand new.

Lots of accidents here with cars entering the highway going the wrong way. One on the Sunshine Bridge a few days ago. Then there are the older people always jumping the curb and plowing into a store. Those happen almost daily.

The zigzagging in and out, cutting off, tailgating, talking and texting is out of control, and the roads are busier every month. A big change too is with so much building and new surveys cars have to come out onto major highways, and get across lanes of traffic.......it isn't pleasant...I try to minimize my exposure time.

driver100 said:

It seems Florida insurance rates are high because of all the uninsured drivers and all the accidents. We were out for about a 60 minute drive the other day, and saw 3 car transport trucks filled with cars that had been in accidents...they all looked brand new.

Lots of accidents here with cars entering the highway going the wrong way. One on the Sunshine Bridge a few days ago. Then there are the older people always jumping the curb and plowing into a store. Those happen almost daily.

The zigzagging in and out, cutting off, tailgating, talking and texting is out of control, and the roads are busier every month. A big change too is with so much building and new surveys cars have to come out onto major highways, and get across lanes of traffic.......it isn't pleasant...I try to minimize my exposure time.

Maybe you should get one of those self driving cars then you could do what my wife does, put a sleeping mask over your eyes.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    On my RAV4 here in the Caribbean I had a big surprise. A 60% reduction in premium due to a "claims-free" record for the past year. So my new premium is $1,185 EC or $441 US. The curious thing about auto insurance here is that the policy will never pay more than its initial value policy limit.

For example, if the car was initially insured for $30,000, that is the maximum lifetime amount that can be paid out (including property and personal injury). In subsequent years, the policy value is reduced by depreciation and any claims paid. Using the above example, if in year 2, a $3,000 claim was filed and the estimated depreciation is $5,000, the new insured value would be $22,000. Another gotcha is the deductible, which is $1,500 per incident for all claims at fault or not. As might be expected there are many "mango tree" mechanics taking advantage of those too afraid to report the below $1,500 dings and fender benders to their insurance companies.

And for homeowners' insurance the deductible is 20%, making premiums high and claims few. Again, understandable since hurricanes are common and property damage can be extensive.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    No antifreeze here. I had to replace a cracked radiator head for my RAV4. A mango tree mechanic who did the fix said that the pressure built into these 4 cylinder engines crack the plastic radiator top. Nothing unusual here except that they do NOT use antifreeze, instead relying on rain water.

Why you may ask? I don't know but everyone swears by it. But I believe it has something to do with the high boiling point of traditional coolant and the chlorine added to tap water in the coolant/water mixture. So far, knock on wood, it works for me.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2017
    I have the insurance taken directly out of my checking. Every couple of years I "shop" around for insurance (homeowers and car). I have State Farm, now. They were competitive the last couple of times I shopped them, so I've had them for about 5 years.

I know the Mustang premium is minimal, as they rate it under "classic" or something similar. I think $100/year is about right.

The CTS runs right around $700/year.

Both have full coverage.

My agent says a lot of the premium depends on your credit report, too. I didn't know that and don't understand why that matters.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

I had the dealer do that on the first car with the issue. They even measured it on the wipers vs factory specs. It was fine. MB forums have mention of jerky wiper action, too. In this case, it seems to be the blades.

No guts no glory. If you don't align the blade holding the rubber, it's just going to repeat the same problem sooner rather than later.

Call it a "torsional adjustment" if the word "bending" scares you B)

I have the hands of a surgeon.

That 1990 190 E that we had only had one windshield wiper. Complicated fix to a problem that did not exist...but we did save money on blade replacements. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    stever said:

My old identity is still working but I'm puzzled as to how I lost it in the first place and how it came back. It even autofilled my PIN number which I have no idea what it is.

Anyway I'm very happy!

There are some mysteries in life that men cannot know my son.... :pB)
    Especially since we don't use pin numbers....
    Oh, allright. Call it what you want to. all I know is that it auto fills and that's fine with me since I have no idea what it is!
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327

stever said:

My old identity is still working but I'm puzzled as to how I lost it in the first place and how it came back. It even autofilled my PIN number which I have no idea what it is.

Anyway I'm very happy!

Oh, allright. Call it what you want to. all I know is that it auto fills and that's fine with me since I have no idea what it is!
    Just glad you're back isell !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    you should know what it is, especially if you ever change computers and need it.

I thought at various times the Mods reset? Though maybe best to leave well enough alone!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

houdini1 said:

stever said:

Anyway I'm very happy!

Just glad you're back isell !
    Yeh, and that impostor was forced to leave.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A "car movie" morning again, with a 1977 Pinto wagon no less :)

bb.jpg 36.1K
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I like how that bridge construction project magically became about 2500 feet in the air :)
    PF_Flyer said:

edited January 2017
    I had 2 MBs with the single wiper, never had an issue. It was innovative at the time, but for whatever reason, the last MB with it was a MY 2002 car.
    houdini1 said:

That 1990 190 E that we had only had one windshield wiper. Complicated fix to a problem that did not exist...but we did save money on blade replacements. :)

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    fintail said:

I like how that bridge construction project magically became about 2500 feet in the air :)

PF_Flyer said:

LOL... yea... "movie magic"
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

I had 2 MBs with the single wiper, never had an issue. It was innovative at the time, but for whatever reason, the last MB with it was a MY 2002 car.

houdini1 said:

I never had first hand experience with a MB with a single wiper, though I thought it quite clever. From what I did hear from a friend that had a 190 is that on high speed the wiper was not fast enough to keep up with the heavy rain that is typical of this area.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

That kind of thing might be what did it in, probably harder to get something like that moving fast enough. It's an interesting and somewhat distracting thing to watch as you drive, too. It's not just a single sweep wiper as on some econoboxes - it actually kind of pivots downwards at the apex of the sweep, in a fraction of a second, to allow the long blade to stay within the windshield. Probably some complex engineering there, given the source.
    sda said:

<

I never had first hand experience with a MB with a single wiper, though I thought it quite clever. From what I did hear from a friend that had a 190 is that on high speed the wiper was not fast enough to keep up with the heavy rain that is typical of this area.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @fintail - my parents had a 1990 300E with a si God wiper. I thought it was so cool!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    driver100 said:

Yeh, and that impostor was forced to leave.

Poor fellow. Never even had a chance to say goodbye... :'(

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I have the insurance taken directly out of my checking. Every couple of years I "shop" around for insurance (homeowers and car). I have State Farm, now. They were competitive the last couple of times I shopped them, so I've had them for about 5 years.

I know the Mustang premium is minimal, as they rate it under "classic" or something similar. I think $100/year is about right.

Both have full coverage.

My agent says a lot of the premium depends on your credit report, too. I didn't know that and don't understand why that matters.

We have been with State Farm for nearly 30 years and we have had great service! It's nice to have the phone answered by our agent who knows us. Yes, we could probably save a little by shopping around but at this point State Farm can't drop us if something bad happens. A lot of the companies that do all of the advertising will drop a customer like a bad habit if a couple of claims happen.

Our next door neighbors use the same SF agent as we do and when a tree fell on their house a few years ago State Farm said " Get it fixed...whatever it takes...you have a 500.00 deductible"

And the 65,000 in damages were paid for!
    nyccarguy said:

Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!

Thank you for your kind words! It's a good feeling to be back!
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Both have full coverage.

We have been with State Farm for nearly 30 years and we have had great service! It's nice to have the phone answered by our agent who knows us. Yes, we could probably save a little by shopping around but at this point State Farm can't drop us if something bad happens. A lot of the companies that do all of the advertising will drop a customer like a bad habit if a couple of claims happen.

Our next door neighbors use the same SF agent as we do and when a tree fell on their house a few years ago State Farm said " Get it fixed...whatever it takes...you have a 500.00 deductible"

I've been with SF since moving to CO. My original agent retired so my business was transferred to a new agent. Never a problem getting a car or homeowners claim paid.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    bwia said:

No antifreeze here. I had to replace a cracked radiator head for my RAV4. A mango tree mechanic who did the fix said that the pressure built into these 4 cylinder engines crack the plastic radiator top. Nothing unusual here except that they do NOT use antifreeze, instead relying on rain water.

Why you may ask? I don't know but everyone swears by it. But I believe it has something to do with the high boiling point of traditional coolant and the chlorine added to tap water in the coolant/water mixture. So far, knock on wood, it works for me.

I don't know how you get away with just water. I don't care if it is rain water, demineralized water, snow water that is very rare in the Caribbean or Holy Water, you don't get corrosion protection from just WATER. Back in the day when people changed antifreeze every other year, most people thought that was to maintain the freeze protection but in reality it was because the corrosion inhibitors were depleted.

If you are not using a corrosion inhibitor with the local rain water, I'd look for a LOT of good wood to knock on that grew because of the marvelous rain water you guys have in the Caribbean because you are going to need that and a lot of luck to ward off engine corrosion.

And that is a whole dollars worth of my opinion, because my two cents worth would only be worth just that...two cents but no engine corrosion protection.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    I agree, plain water won't cut it for the long term.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217

We have been with State Farm for nearly 30 years and we have had great service! It's nice to have the phone answered by our agent who knows us. Yes, we could probably save a little by shopping around but at this point State Farm can't drop us if something bad happens. A lot of the companies that do all of the advertising will drop a customer like a bad habit if a couple of claims happen. Our next door neighbors use the same SF agent as we do and when a tree fell on their house a few years ago State Farm said " Get it fixed...whatever it takes...you have a 500.00 deductible" And the 65,000 in damages were paid for!
    Same here.  I've been with State Farm for 35 years with the same agent.  Great service and so far no hassles.  I'm not willing to move every few years for short-term gain.  
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
    edited January 2017
    Another Wheeler Dealers mini-marathon was on Velocity over the weekend and I again I watched a few. These were different as they gave some insights into the very early episodes I had not seen previously as well as some of the newest USA-based episodes I had also not seen.

The early stuff is funny to watch now - I think it must be close to 15 years old. Edd had short, normal-looking hair and looked very young. The production values were just a hair better than a cable community access channel. Hilarious.

The new ones since they moved to the US strike me as odd. I guess they figured they needed more of a USA flavor. It is much more slick, but I do agree that it has lost a lot of its charm. I loved the cramped old UK workshop and the little small shops in ramshackle old buildings they used to go to for specialized services. Maybe they were running out of cheap but interesting used cars over there.

I saw the newish ep where they did a Volvo 544 and was baffled as to why they added A/C to it. They reported spending $2K on that alone plus Edd's time, and I can only imagine how it would affect the car's performance. Maybe they figured it was necessary for the current US market.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    Speaking about a/c, on the episode where they restored a '63 Corvair convertible, it had factory a/c. But you could tell in the final pictures that they had taken it out. It was an underdash, but factory unit. That had to be extremely rare to have a/c in a Corvair and especially in a convertible in '63.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jwm40517jwm40517 Member Posts: 285
    Counting Cars show in last few days showed a customer car, 66 Corvair with small block V-8 in the rear. Owner said it did wheelies easily.
    I moved back in July and had not been able to sign in, always got the "howdy stranger". tried to change password or user several times to no avail. Tried again last week and it worked.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited January 2017
    I don't know how you get away with just water. I don't care if it is rain water, demineralized water, snow water that is very rare in the Caribbean or Holy Water, you don't get corrosion phw because of the marvelous rain water you guys have in the Caribbean because you are going to need that and a lot of luck to ward off engine corrosion

Spot on. We used to be able to buy additives to put into aged antifreeze to refresh its corrosion resistance. I don't know if prtoper additive cans of additives are available now that engines are a combination of various metals or not. The nlewer antifreezes such as DexCool by GM are engineered to handle the corrosion behaviors of various metals in the engine. Additives also included a water pump lube in the old days.

I see that plain water with a 15 pound pressure cap boils at 255 deg F. and a 50/50 coolant and water mixture boils at 265 deg F. Perhaps that's close enough in the hot climate that the engines don't overheat. Higher percentages of coolant with water raise the boiling point. However plain water is a better carrier of heat from the engine (higher specific heat compared to ethylene glycol) so perhaps the better transfer ability makes up for the slighty lower boiling point in BWiA's climate.

I'd still want a low mixture for the corrosion additives in the quality coolants.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    jwm40517 said:

Counting Cars show in last few days showed a customer car, 66 Corvair with small block V-8 in the rear. Owner said it did wheelies easily.
    I moved back in July and had not been able to sign in, always got the "howdy stranger". tried to change password or user several times to no avail. Tried again last week and it worked.

I drove one of those conversions. They are fast, but absolutely miserable to drive. I think the conversion is called a "Crown Corvair". Very backyard conversion.

nyccarguy said:

I think it is an imposter, isell was never that polite.

What have you done with the original isell? :o

jmonroe said:

bwia said:

I don't know how you get away with just water. I don't care if it is rain water, demineralized water, snow water that is very rare in the Caribbean or Holy Water, you don't get corrosion protection from just WATER.

If you are not using a corrosion inhibitor with the local rain water, I'd look for a LOT of good wood to knock on that grew because of the marvelous rain water you guys have in the Caribbean because you are going to need that and a lot of luck to ward off engine corrosion.

jmonroe
    That was my understanding too.......anti-freeze has rust inhibitors etc. Isn't that true of windshield washer fluid/anti-freeze liquids too? I believe you shouldn't use plain water for those units too....should be windshield washer anti-freeze or a special formula just to clean windshields.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    ab348 said:

Another Wheeler Dealers mini-marathon was on Velocity over the weekend and I again I watched a few. These were different as they gave some insights into the very early episodes I had not seen previously as well as some of the newest USA-based episodes I had also not seen.

The early stuff is funny to watch now - I think it must be close to 15 years old. Edd had short, normal-looking hair and looked very young. The production values were just a hair better than a cable community access channel. Hilarious.

The new ones since they moved to the US strike me as odd. I guess they figured they needed more of a USA flavor. It is much more slick, but I do agree that it has lost a lot of its charm. I loved the cramped old UK workshop and the little small shops in ramshackle old buildings they used to go to for specialized services. Maybe they were running out of cheap but interesting used cars over there.

I saw the newish ep where they did a Volvo 544 and was baffled as to why they added A/C to it. They reported spending $2K on that alone plus Edd's time, and I can only imagine how it would affect the car's performance. Maybe they figured it was necessary for the current US market.

In the older shows, Ed also used to do a great deal more of the work himself rather than farm it out. Now, he almost never touches paintwork. I saw him rattlecan a car once. Won't see that happen again.

At least on a recent one, he ported and polished a head himself. That was a task I figured he would have farmed out as well.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Just a little side note about ethylene glycol antifreeze.

Back in the early 70's our group secretary mentioned to a group of us technical wizards that her boyfriend had just installed antifreeze in her car for her over the weekend since Winter was just around the corner. She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone.

First off I don't know how he got that much in without going through some real work to drain the radiator and block of that much fluid but she said he did. I wasn't going to get into an argument with her but I told her the maximum freeze protection percentage of ethylene glycol antifreeze is around 70% antifreeze and 30% water. More antifreeze than that and the freezing point actually rises. IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees.

She didn't believe this so one of my fellow workers got a heat transfer reference book and proved it to her. She then got her boyfriend to drain out some antifreeze and add water.

More is not always better.

jmonroe

A couple of years ago when they did over a WWII Willys Jeep, Edd rattlecanned the new floor he installed. But it all seems to be going in the direction of This Old Mansion House now, getting far beyond what it's original theme used to be.

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Go ahead and tick me off and the "old" isellhondas will reappear!

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Go ahead and tick me off and the "old" isellhondas will reappear!
    That's it you tell em.

I've been waiting for a little rough stuff in here. Come to think of it, I don't think we've had any while you were trying to figure out who you were are. :D

jmonroe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    jmonroe said:

She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone. . IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees./blockquote>

She didn't believe this so one of my fellow workers got a heat transfer reference book and proved it to her. She then got her boyfriend to drain out some antifreeze and add water.

For the freezing point behavior, the mixture is an azeotrope--together the freezing point is depressed compared to each separately. But the pure glycol does not carry heat away from the engine parts efficiently. One source mentions the viscosity but it's also the specific heat, the ability to hold heat and carry it to the radiator.

I recall in college days at good ole BSU (no jokes, please) on some of the very cold nights a few of the guys who had cars in the dorm put in pure ethonol in various forms to keep their cars from freezing at 25 below, e.g.. But when driven the ethanol evaporates out, so that's a temporary fix.
    Don't know how most could purchase the pure ethanol since they were under 21, but that's a different story back in 1963,4,5,6.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Don't know how most could purchase the pure ethanol since they were under 21, but that's a different story back in 1963,4,5,6.

Maybe they got it from the Chemistry lab. My older brother was in university at that time and told stories about the boys raiding the supply closet for pure alcohol to use in making punch for a party.

I seem to recall seeing old (1930s era) anti-freeze that was alcohol-based.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    ab348 said:

Maybe they got it from the Chemistry lab. My older brother was in university at that time and told stories about the boys raiding the supply closet for pure alcohol to use in making punch for a party.

I seem to recall seeing old (1930s era) anti-freeze that was alcohol-based.
    The chem major in our apartment always got some pure alcohol for our parties back in the day. Of course we knew nothing about alcohol poisoning. Just lucky I guess.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited January 2017

jmonroe said:

She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone. . IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees./blockquote>

For the freezing point behavior, the mixture is an azeotrope--together the freezing point is depressed compared to each separately. But the pure glycol does not carry heat away from the engine parts efficiently. One source mentions the viscosity but it's also the specific heat, the ability to hold heat and carry it to the radiator.

I recall in college days at good ole BSU (no jokes, please) on some of the very cold nights a few of the guys who had cars in the dorm put in pure ethonol in various forms to keep their cars from freezing at 25 below, e.g.. But when driven the ethanol evaporates out, so that's a temporary fix.
    Maybe it wasn't evaporation that made the ethanol go away.

A lot of chemicals use to be available but are no longer. I have a jug of sulfuric acid that I just walked into a chemical company and purchased. I also use to have potassium and ammonium nitrate fertilizers which can and have been used to make bombs. You can still get those but you need ID and a signature.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited January 2017
    thebean said:

Same here.  I've been with State Farm for 35 years with the same agent.  Great service and so far no hassles.  I'm not willing to move every few years for short-term gain.  

Oh...I agree. Change for a few greenbacks males no sense. But, I have switched for premiums that were quoted several hundreds, sometimes over $1,000/year. This is for identical coverage.

I'll continue to shop insurance rates. All of them are all too willing to raise rates for little, to sometimes no reason.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring