Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 8,361
    Just a little side note about ethylene glycol antifreeze.

Back in the early 70's our group secretary mentioned to a group of us technical wizards that her boyfriend had just installed antifreeze in her car for her over the weekend since Winter was just around the corner. She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone.

First off I don't know how he got that much in without going through some real work to drain the radiator and block of that much fluid but she said he did. I wasn't going to get into an argument with her but I told her the maximum freeze protection percentage of ethylene glycol antifreeze is around 70% antifreeze and 30% water. More antifreeze than that and the freezing point actually rises. IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees.

She didn't believe this so one of my fellow workers got a heat transfer reference book and proved it to her. She then got her boyfriend to drain out some antifreeze and add water.

More is not always better.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,882
    A couple of years ago when they did over a WWII Willys Jeep, Edd rattlecanned the new floor he installed. But it all seems to be going in the direction of This Old Mansion House now, getting far beyond what it's original theme used to be.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!

Thank you for your kind words! It's a good feeling to be back!
    I think it is an imposter, isell was never that polite.

What have you done with the original isell? :o
    Go ahead and tick me off and the "old" isellhondas will reappear!

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Craig - Happy New Year my friend! I'm glad you are back. I don't care if you are @isellhondas, @isellhondas4, or @deathtrapavalon02 - as long as you post!

That's it you tell em.

I've been waiting for a little rough stuff in here. Come to think of it, I don't think we've had any while you were trying to figure out who you were are. :D

jmonroe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,614
    jmonroe said:

She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone. . IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees./blockquote>

She didn't believe this so one of my fellow workers got a heat transfer reference book and proved it to her. She then got her boyfriend to drain out some antifreeze and add water.

For the freezing point behavior, the mixture is an azeotrope--together the freezing point is depressed compared to each separately. But the pure glycol does not carry heat away from the engine parts efficiently. One source mentions the viscosity but it's also the specific heat, the ability to hold heat and carry it to the radiator.

I recall in college days at good ole BSU (no jokes, please) on some of the very cold nights a few of the guys who had cars in the dorm put in pure ethonol in various forms to keep their cars from freezing at 25 below, e.g.. But when driven the ethanol evaporates out, so that's a temporary fix.
    Don't know how most could purchase the pure ethanol since they were under 21, but that's a different story back in 1963,4,5,6.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,882

Don't know how most could purchase the pure ethanol since they were under 21, but that's a different story back in 1963,4,5,6.

Maybe they got it from the Chemistry lab. My older brother was in university at that time and told stories about the boys raiding the supply closet for pure alcohol to use in making punch for a party.

I seem to recall seeing old (1930s era) anti-freeze that was alcohol-based.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• suydamsuydam Posts: 4,111
    ab348 said:

Maybe they got it from the Chemistry lab. My older brother was in university at that time and told stories about the boys raiding the supply closet for pure alcohol to use in making punch for a party.

I seem to recall seeing old (1930s era) anti-freeze that was alcohol-based.
    The chem major in our apartment always got some pure alcohol for our parties back in the day. Of course we knew nothing about alcohol poisoning. Just lucky I guess.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 13,331
    edited January 2017

jmonroe said:

She goes on to say that he put in 100% antifreeze, no water. She said it took about 4 gallons of Prestone. . IIRC, 100% ethylene glycol antifreeze will freeze at around plus 10 degrees F, give or take a few degrees./blockquote>

For the freezing point behavior, the mixture is an azeotrope--together the freezing point is depressed compared to each separately. But the pure glycol does not carry heat away from the engine parts efficiently. One source mentions the viscosity but it's also the specific heat, the ability to hold heat and carry it to the radiator.

I recall in college days at good ole BSU (no jokes, please) on some of the very cold nights a few of the guys who had cars in the dorm put in pure ethonol in various forms to keep their cars from freezing at 25 below, e.g.. But when driven the ethanol evaporates out, so that's a temporary fix.
    Maybe it wasn't evaporation that made the ethanol go away.

A lot of chemicals use to be available but are no longer. I have a jug of sulfuric acid that I just walked into a chemical company and purchased. I also use to have potassium and ammonium nitrate fertilizers which can and have been used to make bombs. You can still get those but you need ID and a signature.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,544
    edited January 2017
    thebean said:

We have been with State Farm for nearly 30 years and we have had great service! It's nice to have the phone answered by our agent who knows us. Yes, we could probably save a little by shopping around but at this point State Farm can't drop us if something bad happens. A lot of the companies that do all of the advertising will drop a customer like a bad habit if a couple of claims happen.

Our next door neighbors use the same SF agent as we do and when a tree fell on their house a few years ago State Farm said " Get it fixed...whatever it takes...you have a 500.00 deductible"

And the 65,000 in damages were paid for!

Same here.  I've been with State Farm for 35 years with the same agent.  Great service and so far no hassles.  I'm not willing to move every few years for short-term gain.  

Oh...I agree. Change for a few greenbacks males no sense. But, I have switched for premiums that were quoted several hundreds, sometimes over $1,000/year. This is for identical coverage.

I'll continue to shop insurance rates. All of them are all too willing to raise rates for little, to sometimes no reason.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,614
    ab348 said:

I know firsthand that the supply couldn't be touched in our department at that time. They even feigned the threat that the alcohol supplied into the labs for classes had been denatured with phenolphthalein but I don't think it had been.

Reminds me of the roomers under mine in the dorm were hitting up my Hawaiian Punch that I put out onto the window ledge (room faced courtyard). So I brought home some phenolphthalein and starting putting it into the Hawaiian Punch that I shared out on the ledge. Besides being an acid/base indicator, it's a laxative, errr was a laxative over the counter. Now it's regulated because of potential carcinogenic traits.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 24,769

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

You are sounding like that famous girl........Sybil.

She is the one who had 16 different personalities.

(That was one of the 1st books I sold when I became a book rep)

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,722
    I think it is an imposter, isell was never that polite. What have you done with the original isell? :o

This guy?
    I need some guidance. No, not on how to live my life guidance.....some ideas of a home-type security system.

On New Years Day my wife organized a potluck dinner for our community in Florida. I helped run the auction which was very successful and we had a lot of laughs. Sold handbags and made up that they were Gucci or Coach. Had some imported coffee mugs.....imported from China.

Anyway, we raised $215 toward a security camera. We don't get too many incidences here but, it would be nice to have a record of who comes in and leaves. The camera would be attached to the clubhouse, and it would record cars as they enter and leave. I see some cameras don't need wiring, that would be a plus. What do I look for as far as performance etc.? Is there a particularly good model? How much does a decent one cost? Let me know if there is a particular one on amazon...that would be a way we could order it. We do have a handyman and some residents who can install it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Well that sort of explains some of the mood swings you have shown in here. I never knew there was an osmosis effect from peddling books.

As for your security problem, I can't help with that other than to suggest that you otta grab a book on that subject and see what happens. :o

jmonroe

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    edited January 2017
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's it you tell em.

I've been waiting for a little rough stuff in here. Come to think of it, I don't think we've had any while you were trying to figure out who you were are. :D

jmonroe
    Hard to believe but these forums began over 20 years ago!

Over the years there have been some nasty posters who wanted to argue over everything and anything. I always tried to pull my punches and temper my responses but there were others who would take it too far. Then there were some of "us" who would try to prod the troublemakers over the line. They would sometimes explode in a profanity laced rant that would get them banned.

But now, unless the nasty people are in other forums things are pretty mellow and that is the way I like it!
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,111
    That's because these forums are almost impossible to find unless you already know where they are.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 9,237

jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

That's it you tell em.

jmonroe
    Hard to believe but these forums began over 20 years ago!

We must have some kind of momentum :)

Edmunds Moderator

Silver 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback & White 2019 Nissan Rogue S

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Write your own vehicle review

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited January 2017
    @jipster, I kind of feel that way this morning after talking to my body shop. B)

I need some "security" guidance too.

After taking delivery of my fixed van, I noticed that the sliding door doesn't fit. They've adjusted it once and I told them to keep trying. I'm worried about structural stability and safety. There was no obvious damage to the door. When closed the top seams aren't "flush" with the roof and it's obvious when you look, especially when compared to the right side slider.

What say the peanut gallery?

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,483
    stever said:

@jipster, I kind of feel that way this morning after talking to my body shop. B)

I need some "security" guidance too.

After taking delivery of my fixed van, I noticed that the sliding door doesn't fit. They've adjusted it once and I told them to keep trying. I'm worried about structural stability and safety. There was no obvious damage to the door. When closed the top seams aren't "flush" with the roof and it's obvious when you look, especially when compared to the right side slider.

What say the peanut gallery?

I'd make a lot of noise, both with the body shop and with the insurance company. You could even ask an adjuster to come up and inspect the quality of the work. If it was shoddy, the insurance company is going to want to know about it and will likely get more traction with the body shop than you will.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 26,110
    Is it not flush the whole way across the top or just the rear seam?
    I guess they removed the door during the repair? I can't tell if it is damaged in that pic.

'10 Equinox LS; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 49-car history and counting!

edited January 2017
    Thanks, afaik they did not remove the door. It's not flush all the way across the top. I saw the van after the body work was done and before they repainted the panel and the door was on. More pics here.

The adjuster is the body shop; they do the estimate and the insurance company decides whether it's a total or repairable. Good idea about asking for another adjuster, since the shop won't be impartial.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 11,544
    edited January 2017
    Isell....I remember those mid-late '90s Edmunds forums. They were a trip, for certain. Certain posters come to mind as "pot stirrers". Most of the n'er-do-wells are long gone (that includes a few mods, too). There are still some folks still around from those days...you, imid, Q, jipster, oldfarmer, PF Flyer, kyfdx, stever, Mr Shiftright, probably missing one or two. But, those are the ones I remember. At one point, all my stats were reset. But, I think I've been around since '95-96.....roughly.

I originally came in here looking for info and pricing on a (then) new mid '90s Pontiac Grand Prix with the supercharged v6. Since then, I've had 2-BMWs, 3 Caddys (one of them was my late Mother's), 2 Pontiac Grand Prix (both supercharged), 2 Mustangs (one GT and one Cobra 'vert), 1 Audi, 3 Acura TLs, 1 Honda Accord, 1 Chevy Tahoe, 1 Toyota 4Runner, 1 Mazda RX8, 1 Pontiac Vibe, 1 Hyundai Elantra (in my name, but bought it for my son).

So, what is that? Depending on how you count it, that's 19 cars in 20 years.....roughly! Been posting at Edmunds through all of them.
    2018 Acura TLX 3.5 SH AWD A-SPEC
  • tjc78tjc78 South JerseyPosts: 8,864
    I joined over 10 years ago and even then there were many more "spirited" discussions. The old Midsize sedan board and "mainstream large sedan" boards come to mind. Inconsiderate drivers was another one.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra (for a little longer) / 2019 Volvo S60 T6 Inscription

People have definitely mellowed.
    driver100 said:

I need some guidance. No, not on how to live my life guidance.....some ideas of a home-type security system.

On New Years Day my wife organized a potluck dinner for our community in Florida. I helped run the auction which was very successful and we had a lot of laughs. Sold handbags and made up that they were Gucci or Coach. Had some imported coffee mugs.....imported from China.

Anyway, we raised $215 toward a security camera. We don't get too many incidences here but, it would be nice to have a record of who comes in and leaves. The camera would be attached to the clubhouse, and it would record cars as they enter and leave. I see some cameras don't need wiring, that would be a plus. What do I look for as far as performance etc.? Is there a particularly good model? How much does a decent one cost? Let me know if there is a particular one on amazon...that would be a way we could order it. We do have a handyman and some residents who can install it.

Should be careful of those wireless cameras. I hear a talented hacker can end up watching you with your own equipment.

Why not try putting up a sign like this:

• murphydogmurphydog SeattlePosts: 735
    driver100 said:

I just installed an outdoor nest cam. Camera cost ~ $199 and rolling 10 days of video storage is $100/year.

The camera is mounted on my front porch and captures a very wide view of my front yard as well as the street. The camera it self needed AC power and as I was remodeling my living room and had the internal walls stripped down to the studs it was easy to run the wire into my attic to an outlet I installed for just this purpose.

Pros:
    Very clear HD video
    Captures sound as well and allows me to speak to people at my door
    Camera and video feed can be shared with others
    Video data available anywhere your smartphone/tablet or computer have web access
    Super simple app design and video access
    Alerts to my phone when somebody comes to my porch

Cons:
    Wired - Cable can be cut by proactive bad guy/girl
    Cost (though IMHO totally worth it!)
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 2,850
    I've been a member since around '98 though my profile shows '01. I used to post, but not frequently in the Cadillac Catera, Olds Intrigue and Aurora forums. Only in the past 18 months have I participated on a regular basis. I have found the information and friendship shared very enjoyable--a good group of car enthusiasts.

2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 5,483
    edited January 2017
    I am looking at the Ring stick-up cam myself. It is $199 for the camera plus an additional $49 for a plug-in Solar Powered charger for the battery that can be mounted alongside of it. The cost is similar annually and doesn't require running power. Reviews seem to indicate that even in cloudy environments, the solar panel does a great job of keeping it fully charged all the time.

Planning to get two - one for the front walkway and one over the garage doors that covers the courtyard between the other properties in my sub-development.

Also, apparently if it is stolen and caught on video, Ring will replace it.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i, 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen
    jmonroe said:

driver100 said:

driver100 said:

nyccarguy said:

Well that sort of explains some of the mood swings you have shown in here. I never knew there was an osmosis effect from peddling books.

As for your security problem, I can't help with that other than to suggest that you otta grab a book on that subject and see what happens. :o

jmonroe
    You mean like an "Idiots Guide to Security Cameras"
    I take that as an insult. :@