Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Where s the tiny car driver's Shriners cap B)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2017
    Not unlike this GM project proposed in 195 by Peter Brock for an American "small car". Does anyone remember the name?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,518
    cadet?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,143
    I read a lot of books when I was a kid. Those S-Ts were imported in small numbers to the US, I am pretty sure I have seen one before.

In regards to old more ordinary British cars, fascinating author JG Ballard has a line in his autobiography that sticks in my mind: "Looking down from the rail, I noticed that the streets near the docks were lined with what seemed to be black perambulators, some kind of mobile coal scuttle, I assumed, used for bunkering ships. Later I learned that these were British cars (all made pre-war), a species I had never seen before". Most prewar Euro cars would appear similar.
    andys120 said:

Easy for you maybe but I find pre-1960 Brit sedans the hardest, there were a lot of makers
    and they all sported similar 1930s styling.

Wikipedia sez a S-T 90 won the Monte Carlo Rallye in 1955!

• magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154
    edited January 2017
    The little car was a Rytecraft Scootacar, they made petrol engined fairground dodgem cars initially but from the mid thirties they built a road-legal version too. They also built miniature vans & lorries which were used for publicity purposes.
    Someone drove one of these round the world in the 1960s - the car he used is preserved in the Brooklands museum.

Anzani made the engines.

Here's a publicity brochure.

The bus is an AEC Renown - they built about 1200 in 1929-32 and most were still in service until about 1948.
    Now there's a mobile coal scuttle, sounds like a smaller displacement motorcycle with 4 wheels, a body, and a steering wheel. The tiny headlights might be the most amusing. I swear I've seen one of those vans in an auction catalog, but I might be mistaken.
    There are still a number left apparently....
    stickguy said:

cadet?

Yes, the Cadet. GM management took one look at the prototype and immediately cut off its head, with the sneering curse "GM does not build small cars".

In the 1970s, that became "GM does not build small cars very well". B)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,390
    I'm confused

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Looks like a Model X render before they went mouth/grille-less.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Model 3?
    Yup, that's a Tesla Model X, I could be wrong but you may be thinking of the similar-looking Model 3 which has no grille>

I'm confused by both those cars, how could the company that styled the brilliant Model X come up with such bland looking cars. I don't know what the Model X is supposed to be, they call it an SUV but it has only one of the characteristics we associate with SUVs (AWD)
    Who is going to buy an SUV that is not tall or boxy and (near as I can tell) lacks a rear loading hatch? So they want you to buy an SUV with little "sport" (ride height too low for off-roading) and not much "utility" (cargo/passenger capacity).

...and what is the point of those gullwing doors in the rear?

Maybe I misunderstood, but the X has no grille. I see enough of them every day to be familiar. Some prepro renders might have shown it, but the ones on the road are mouthless.

The doors are all about showing off. If you're laying down 100K+++ for a fast minivan, you need bragging cred.

I can see the merit in the tech more than the design. They look like stylized eggs to me, daring design for those who blindly stumbled into money and think a cliched postmodern box is also amazing architecture. This demographic is huge in the Seattle area.
    I couldn't find a single pic of a "Mouthless" Model X, I did find a few of the Model 3 that had grills but they look so much alike it could be a captioning error. Come to think of it I saw one recently and wasn't sure which it was. Model Xs are all over Scottsdale but I have seen only one of the others.

These are from the Tesla site:

Maybe associated strongly with the S as the design elements are so similar, especially as the current S now has no mouth.

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    edited January 2017
    2014 4X4 Castor Canadensis. (Amphibious)
    That's right; often confused with the European model, the 4X4 Castor Fiber. Circa 2014 but could be older.

edited January 2017
    Ugh oh, we were so wrong.
    It is the naturally aspirated circa 2014 4X4 Marmota Monax.
    If the cheeks were a little puffier, it could be an Infiniti :)
    You're all wrong. It's the new 2017 Range Rodent! :p
    edited January 2017
    Escondido, 1972:

Slightly larger here
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    '63 or '64 Pontiac Catalina in the NorthEast corner?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited January 2017
    Baby blue (I think) first gen Valiant in the middle and 56 Dodge in top left corner. Is that junkyard in Escondido, CA?
    Sideways '57 Chevy just below a '61 Comet, lower right corner.
    Early Comet was kind of an interesting car. Designed to be an Edsel.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    edited January 2017
    Appears to be the rear of a '60ish white Falcon in the middle left, with a '61 Impala under it. Maybe a Lark?? one car to the right and one car up from the Falcon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

1954 Pontiac.
    edited January 2017
    berri said:

Where s the tiny car driver's Shriners cap B)

Sorry - I missed your post - yes, it does look like that film 'Straight Story' - John Deere mower he had wasn't it...
    edited January 2017

1954 Pontiac.

the yellow one in the center, correct?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I assume so, only Escondido I've heard about :)

I wonder how many of those cars are convertibles.
    berri said:

Baby blue (I think) first gen Valiant in the middle and 56 Dodge in top left corner. Is that junkyard in Escondido, CA?

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    qbrozen said:

Appears to be the rear of a '60ish white Falcon in the middle left, with a '61 Impala under it. Maybe a Lark?? one car to the right and one car up from the Falcon.

Methinks the white car is a '64 full-sized.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Yeah, I think it is a full sized 64 Ford too. Those cars seemed to have a good reputation in their day.
    What gets me is how many appear to be no older than 10-11 years old, and in many cases, a bit younger. Old cars held up better, they say. Maybe it could be said in 1978, but a lot of 10 year old metal out there today looks modern and is perfectly roadable for tens of thousands of miles to come.
    edited January 2017
    fintail said:

What gets me is how many appear to be no older than 10-11 years old, and in many cases, a bit younger. Old cars held up better, they say. Maybe it could be said in 1978, but a lot of 10 year old metal out there today looks modern and is perfectly roadable for tens of thousands of miles to come.

Nah, older = worse, has been for years. Old cars NEVER held up better.

Edit - on average, that is. Some make (MB, cough, cough) went through a rough patch. But US cars? No, excluding the odd bad year or two...
    qbrozen said:

1954 Pontiac.

On the driver's side of the '61 Valiant.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,907
    The black Lincoln looks to be a 64 Continental sedan.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

I've always been of the opinion (as I was far too young to know, if born at all) that there were a few years in the bad part of the malaise era when a nice well kept 60s car would be better than a new car. I think my dad might have steered me to that thought, as he avoided a lot of mid 70s to late 80s material, and acted cautiously when he needed a modern car. But in the past 25 years or so, cars have become pretty solid - even with the MB hiccup :)

I once saw a claim that a 3 year old car today is better than a new car was 10 years ago - and this claim was made at least 10-15 years ago. It's likely true to some degree.
    I believe it Fin. Our RDX is 4.5 YO now (about 38K on the clock). Pretty much just like when it was new, other than less traction on the tires (but hey, easily correctable!) And that 2013 is way better than most anything new in 2003.

Better oils, fuel injection, better air filtration, and precision (robotic) assembly all help.

Contrary to the popular myth, you really don't want a "hand-built" car.

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,241
    My 2000 Lexus ES 300, with <90k miles still running strong.

Find the newest...oldest

White 64 chevelle bottom left. Top view only.

XKE 3 door in middle looks out of place.

edited January 2017
    Wow, the E-type sticks out like a sore thumb. At quick glance I see a 55 Mercury as oldest, maybe a 65 Ford sedan and a same year Chevelle as newest, and a couple other maybe-65 cars, but I probably missed some.
    andys120 said:

Find the newest...oldest

qbrozen said:

1954 Pontiac.

On the driver's side of the '61 Valiant.

Yup.

BUT, good call on the '61 Valiant. That's the one I kept thinking "Lark" but couldn't quite match it up.

fintail said:

Wow, the E-type sticks out like a sore thumb. At quick glance I see a 55 Mercury as oldest, maybe a 65 Ford sedan and a same year Chevelle as newest, and a couple other maybe-65 cars, but I probably missed some.

andys120 said:

Find the newest...oldest

Interesting you mention that---back then (unlike today), climbing out of an American car into a "foreign car" (the general public didn't call them "imports") was like entering an entirely different universe. The gauges, the ergonomics--everything was indeed truly "foreign". They looked different, smelled different, sounded different, and, usually, didn't run very well for very long B) . The Germans had the best reputation, by far.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042
    That's Yosemite, correct?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

edited January 2017
    Yosemite isn't a make of car Michael :p

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,042

Yosemite isn't a make of car Michael :p

Was talking about the big rock in the background. Grew up in CA, but never went.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

It's a beautiful place, indeed. I think that parking lot is for the Lodge, not the Ahwahnee (or whatever they call it now).